Results 1 to 10 of 41
Guy Manuel Helmet in 8 Days. (Ongoing)30th Oct 2009, 19:40 #1
i am planning to make a guy manuel helmet in 8 days: Oct 30 ~ Nov 6. (edit: this didn't happen because I decided it was bad idea to rush the helmet considering the amount of money spent.)
i am following volpin's guide: http://volpinprops.blogspot.com/2009_08_01_archive.html
i really want to make this in that time range, because there is a costume party on the 6th.
i am posting these updates to receive helpful advices, and any type of comments are welcome.
scroll down for current status of my building process:
31st Oct 2009, 06:20 #3
Day 1 (Oct 30, Friday):
1. Printed out blueprints and built a basic cardboard bone structure using:
2. Covered the cardboard bone structure with expanding foam:
3. Wait for the foam to harden until next day..
31st Oct 2009, 09:28 #4
Day 2 (Oct 31, Saturday):
1. Carve the shape of the helmet from the foam:
2. Coat in air drying clay & shape it:
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/3628/1031092158.jpg ha, this link is dead i think..
3. Wait for the clay to harden until next day or two... (the box that the clay came in, said it takes 2 to 3 days, but i'm hoping it will be hardened by tomorrow)
1st Nov 2009, 03:28 #5
that's comming together nicely ill stay posted to see final product.
1st Nov 2009, 03:45 #6
8 days? Good luck with that.
Unless you know how to make a mold (and have the materials to do so), and have access to a vacuum former copying Volpin's process wont be productive for you.
Honestly for what you would end up spending to make your own helmet in this/his method you would be better off buying one of his replicas
1st Nov 2009, 03:57 #7
but i am currently attending art school so i have easy access to..
- nightshades by VHT
- metallic gold spray from rust-oleum (i will not be actually chroming my mold)
- silicone mold kits
- industrial design department's vacuum former machine
- plastic sheets (0.06 PETG is what i'm planning to use)
- wood shops with sanders, lathe, jigsaw
- laser cutter at the architecture department
everything (laser cutter, woodshop tools, vacuum former) is free for students. so i dont think its better for me to buy one of his replicas because i'm not that rich
1st Nov 2009, 16:58 #9
1st Nov 2009, 20:01 #10
By Digital Love in forum General Daft PunkReplies: 80Last Post: 11th Feb 2011, 08:26