Results 1 to 10 of 20
Electro classics2nd Jun 2012, 22:59 #1
i'm making it my goal to discover as many electro/french touch classics as possible, since i didn't really get into the music until 2009ish and wasn't around for any of its heydays. =\ a lot of **** has fallen through the cracks over the years, so i think it might be fun to have a "hey remember that one remix?"-type thread like this one. we could probably turn each other on to some real gold.
let's make try to make this as exhaustive as possible, yes? obviously this is subjective and there will be some disagreements, but i think we can arrive at a general consensus about what's hall-of-fame worthy and what's not.
if a classic song -- let's say HBFS, for example -- is on an album listed here, i will not re-list the single release unless there's something special about it that the album doesn't have.
i'm doing this because i can't find any decent lists online! if you know of any, please post links.
ALBUMS AND SOUNDTRACKS
- Alan Braxe & Friends, The Upper Cuts, 2005 (Play It Again Sam)
- Cut Copy, In Ghost Colours, 2008 (Modular)
- Daft Punk, , 1997 (Virgin)
- Daft Punk, , 2001 (Virgin)
- Daft Punk, , 2007 (Virgin)
- Justice, Cross, 2007 (Ed Banger)
- Metro Area, Metro Area, 2002 [maybe not electro-electro per se, but i think it counts]
- SebastiAn, Remixes, 2008 (Ed Banger)
- SebastiAn, Notre Jour Viendra, 2010 (Ed Banger)
- SebastiAn, Total, 2011 (Ed Banger)
- Sebastian Tellier / SebastiAn / Mr. Oizo, Steak OST, 2007 (Ed Banger)
SINGLES AND EPs
- Air France, On Trade Winds, 2006 (Sincerely Yours) [you may say they aren't electro, i disagree!]
- Air France, No Way Down, 2008 (Sincerely Yours) [one of the very best]
- Air France, "It Feels Good To Be Around You," 2011 (Sincerely Yours)
- Alan Braxe & Fred Falke, "Chrystal City," 2004 (Vulture)
- Annie, "Heartbeat," 2004 (679)
- Bag Raiders, "Shooting Stars," 2009 (Modular)
- Breakbot, Happy Rabbit, 2007 (Klee/Moshi Moshi) [special for the incredible "Chelsea Inn" and "Please Don't"]
- Breakbot, Happy Rabbit, 2008 (Timberyard) [vastly superior version of "Stereo Provolone"]
- Busy P, Rainbow Man, 2007 (Ed Banger) [not a favorite of mine, but an acknowledged classic]
- Cassius, I <3 U So, 2011 (Ed Banger)
- DatA, Aerius Light, 2007 (Ekleroshock) [has the slick Breakbot rework and "The Last Symphony"]
- Das Glow, "I Want To Wake Up With You" b/w "12 Volts," 2009 (Vulture)
- Flight Facilities, Crave You, 2010 (Bang Gang) [featuring the great 6-minute original edit and the incredible "Version 2"]
- Justice vs. Simian, Never Be Alone, 2003 (Ed Banger)
- Justice, Waters of Nazareth, 2005 (Ed Banger)
- Mr. Flash & A Bass Day, "Radar Rider" b/w "F.I.S.T.", 2003 (Ed Banger)
- Mr. Oizo, Stade 3, 2012 (Ed Banger/self-released)
- Palermo Disko Machine, "Vesuvia" b/w "Palermo Disco Machine," 2009 (Vulture)
- The Paradise, "In Love With You (Prelude)," 2003 (Vulture) [two minutes longer than Upper Cuts version]
- Roy Davis Jr., "Rock Shock" single, 1998 (Roule) [original mix and Bangalter's mix both incredible]
- SebastiAn, "H.A.L.," 2005 (Ed Banger)
- SebastiAn, Ross Ross Ross, 2006 (Ed Banger) [in my opinion, the most perfet electro release of all time. and best EP ever made by anyone.]
- SebastiAn, Walkman (Re-Edit), 2007 (Ed Banger)
- SebastiAn, Motor, 2008 (Ed Banger)
- Uffie, "Pop the Glock" b/w "Ready to Uff," 2006 (Ed Banger)
- Aeroplane's flip of "Paris," Friendly Fires, from Paris EP, 2008
- Boys Noize's flip of "Lights & Music," Cut Copy, from Lights & Music EP, 2008 (Modular)
- Boys Noize's flip of "Swoon," Chemical Brothers, from Swoon single, 2009
- Breakbot's flip of "Baby," PNAU, 2008 [tied with Seb's "Cheap and Cheerful" for my favorite remix of all time]
- Cherokee's flip of "Something About Us," Daft Punk, 2011 (self-released)
- Flight Facilities' flip of "Shine a Light," the C90s, from Shine A Light single, 2010
- The Golden Filter's flip of "New In Town," Little Boots, from New In Town single, 2009
- Justice's flip of "As Above, So Below," Klaxons, from As Above, So Below French EP, 2007 (Because)
- Justice's flip of "Lower State of Consciousness," ZZT, 2007
- SebastiAn's flip of "Idea of Happiness," Van She, from Idea of Happiness EP, 2012 (Modular)
- Thomas Bangalter's edit of "Signatune," DJ Mehdi, from Lucky Girl EP, 2007
STRAY TRACKS AND DEEP CUTS
- Allure, "Renaissance," 2010 (self-released)
- Breakbot, "Make You Mine," b-side to "Baby I'm Yours," 2010 (Ed Banger)
- Breakbot, "Scientologue," 200X (?)
- Breakbot, "Shades of Black," off the Let the Children Techno compilation, 2011 (Ed Banger)
- Busy P feat. Murs, "To Protect and Entertain," off the Ed Rec Vol. 3 compilation, 2008 (Ed Banger)
- DatA, "7 Months to Forget," off the Trop Laser EP, 2006 (Ekleroshock) [like a rip-off of both "Around the World" and "We Are Your Friends" - but with panache!]
- Defender [Alan Braxe & Fred Falke], "Bliss," b-side to "Defender" single, 2005 (Vulture)
- DJ Falcon, "Honeymoon" and "Unplugged," off the Hello My Name is DJ Falcon EP, 1999 (Roule)
- DJ Mehdi, "Pocket Piano," off the Ed Rec Vol. 3 compilation, 2008 (Ed Banger)
- DJ Mehdi, "I Will Not Lose," off the Black Black and Black compilation, 2009 (self-released) [mislabeled a Jay-Z remix, actually an original song]
- Mr. Flash, "Eagle Eyez," off Ed Rec Vol. 2, 2007 (Ed Banger)
- Mr. Flash, "Powerlight," off the Blood Sweat & Tears EP, 2010 (Ed Banger)
- Mr. Oizo, "No Day Massacre" and "Monday Massacre," off the Analog Worms Attack LP and Flat Beat EP, 1999 [great versions of the same song]
- Mr. Oizo, "Patrick122," off the Transexual EP, 2007 (Ed Banger)
- Mr. Oizo, "Hun," "Cut Dick," "Two Takes It," "Jo," and "Lambs Garbage," off the Lambs Anger LP, 2008 (Ed Banger)
- MSK, "Chandelier," off the Mask Mask Mask LP, 2009 (Institubes) [hate the rest of this record, but this song is incredible!]
- SebastiAn, "Dolami," off Smoking Kills EP, 2005 (Ed Banger)
- SebastiAn, "Untitled," circa 2008 (unreleased)
please suggest more!
Last edited by coughsoda; 3rd Nov 2012 at 08:14.
Re: Electro classics2nd Jun 2012, 23:25 #2
argh. anyone have Breakbot's remixes, aside from "Baby," in decent quality? i need them for research.
Re: Electro classics3rd Jun 2012, 03:04 #3
Off the top of my head other French artists from the same period: Danger, DatA, Kavinsky, Surkin, Lifelike, Yuksek Thony Ritz and possibly Birdy Nam Nam depending on what specific songs you're talking about.
Other non-French: Digitalism, Grum, MSTRKRFT's first album, Simian Mobile Disco.
There's lots of gray area with this; it seems like a lot of the stuff you listed is Ed Banger related in some way which is a good start.
On the subject of Breakbot remixes, the usual routes of Google and Hypem will be your friends...
Re: Electro classics3rd Jun 2012, 03:18 #4
Look into these guys for some early house music:
Paul Johnson, Buffalo Bunch, The Bucketheads, Todd Edwards, and DJ Sneak.
Jumpman covered the electro artists IMO, although you could also add The Bloody Beetroots and The Toxic Avenger.
Also, FRED FALKE!
The Nip Clips - Just the Two of Us
Re: Electro classics3rd Jun 2012, 03:43 #5
Check this out for some of my favorites (most of it is pre-2009):
And if we are talking about French Touch classics, then we *must* name Stardust's Music Sounds Better With You which was (by all accounts) absolutely huge in the clubs when it came out.
Last edited by scutheotaku; 3rd Jun 2012 at 03:45.
Re: Electro classics3rd Jun 2012, 05:59 #7
Re: Electro classics3rd Jun 2012, 09:10 #9
Seeing as Cut Copy is up there, you might as well add,
Miami Horror - Bravado EP
Miami Horror - Illumination
Fred Falke - Part IV
Savage - Muzak EP
Modjo - Modjo
Aloud - Aloud
Starsmith - Lesson One / Champion
Klaxons - As Above, So Below (Justice Remix)
Gypsy & The Cat - Jona Vark (Alan Braxe Remix)
Just to name a few.
And basically all Roulé and Crydamoure releases.