1. Rep:
    Question

Danc-music influenced Indie & Synth-pop Vs. 'Nu-rave'?

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    I was never into 'Nu-rave' (the likes of Hot Chip and The Klaxons?), actually I thought it was utter tosh [crap] (for NME reader who thought they were into dance music). Now there seems to be 2 genres coming into popular culture 'dance/electro-influnenced indie' (Passion Pit and Friendly Fires) and 'synth-pop' (Calvin Harris, Tommy Sparks http://www.myspace.com/tommysparksmusic & Frankmusik http://www.myspace.com/frankmusik) which I'm not a fan of but seem pretty catchy and I don't mind that.

What are your thoughts?

[Sorry if this is only relevant to people living in the UK.]

2. Rep:

I like Nu-rave. A lot of the bands I listen to are considered Nu-Rave. It did irritate me a bit when it got massive though (especially here in the UK) because I was listening to Hot chip and the Rapture way back when and then all of a sudden the NME put Klaxons on the cover and starts calling pretty much any new band that uses a synth Nu-rave. Thats the irritating part, but I do like a lot of the bands. But I actullay prefer to use the term 'indie-dance' becayse thats what it was was hot chip and rapture were about.

I'm not into this other new stuff (Clavin harris, frankmusic ect), It's a bit poppy in my eyes and seems to be a bit of a gimmick.

TumblrTwitterFacebook
    Carbon Uranium Nitrogen Tuesday.

3. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by staceylala View Post
    I'm not into this other new stuff (Clavin harris, frankmusic ect), It's a bit poppy in my eyes and seems to be a bit of a gimmick.
    Fair enough. I'd say it was vice-versa, in my opinion. But like I say I really didn't like 'nu-rave'.

I guess MGMT fall into the 'electro-influenced indie' bracket but I must admit I don't 'get' what the fuss about them is. I much prefer the remix Justice did of them than their original music. Having said that it's not like they're a bad band.

4. Rep:

lol I absolutely love love love MGMT. Their album is my album of the year lol.tbh I didn't notice much of a fuss about them because I don't buy any music magazines and I very rarely listen to the radio, I just bought the Justice remix of electric feel and it had to original on it and I was hooked lol.

But yep, we all have our preferences, mostly, it's the music media type that piss me off, which is why I stopping buying the NME. I grew up a bit and realized that they're just all talking bull**** really (imo, no offence to anyone who reads the NME)

I love all sorts of music, I mean dance and similar genres attract me most, but I'll listen to something if I like it and I don't care what anyone thinks about it and I don't really care what others are listening to, as long as they're happy listening to it.

TumblrTwitterFacebook

5. Rep:

Fair play! I guess I'm a rocker/metaller (even though I don't dress like one though) with pretty eclectic tastes in music. I'm not into 'pop music' and I'm over 25... But I still listen to Radio 1 pretty regularly. Hahah.

I guess due to my preference for rock/metal I prefer the heavier side of electro with different rhythm patterns rather than the likes of House which I find overly same-y.

Off subject I've just found a webpage full of 'Stig-isms'. B)

http://motortorque.askaprice.com/art...roductions.asp

6. Rep:

I understand what you mean, I'm kinda the opposite, I'd prefer to listen to dance/house/trace, but I'm happy to listen to rock or metal as well.
    There was a club night I went to called Sin and they had a few different floors with a mixture of dance, rock and metal, it was wicked. Closed now though coz they're extending tottenham court road station .

Lol, Theres **** loads more than that, thanks for the link anyway

TumblrTwitterFacebook

7. Rep:

"the klaxons " are a good band, I looove your new rave and I <3 your new album... Is grrreat

8. Rep:

Hahah. Klaxons really were a horrifically bad band.

9. Rep:

I think Klaxons are great, personally. Catchy music, interesting lyrics... so yeah, I like them quite a lot. I remember an interview where Daft Punk (well, Thomas anyway) said something positive about them. But to each their own! ;P

As for my opinion on 'nu-rave' (anything to do with new-wave prehaps?) as a whole, I don't know really because I haven't heard much of it. I'm American, and I guess it isn't very popular here like it is in the UK.. You'd probably never see the Klaxons (or similar artists) in a magazine, hear them on the radio, or see a video on MTV (not that MTV actually plays real live music videos anymore). And if I did I'd be very surprised.

10. Rep:

LMFAO!!! An ad for the horrors' new album popped up. There new album is a real let down man lol.

Anyway, on subject, I really liked Klaxons, I still do, but I don't listen to them as much anymore. The were very very 'Indie-dance' weren't they.

TumblrTwitterFacebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast