1. Rep:

Talk Box

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Hmmm, I bought a talkbox recently and I haven't had much chance to use it yet but it appears to be very difficult to get clear syllable sounds out of it. I'm not trying to directly emulate daft punk but their 'around the world', 'harder, better, faster, stronger' and 'television rules the nation' vocals are an influence....

any tips from producers out there?

www.myspace.com/facedontfitdj

2. Rep:

i'm not a producer or anything but a friend of mine has a talkbox and it takes a while to get the hang of it. Check on YouTube and music forums for advice and tips. Soon you'll be able to be like this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ebhqACZHQ4. also some people say that whispering the words is better than singing them or whatever. so give that a try. hope that helps.

3. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by facedontfit View Post
    Hmmm, I bought a talkbox recently and I haven't had much chance to use it yet but it appears to be very difficult to get clear syllable sounds out of it. I'm not trying to directly emulate daft punk but their 'around the world', 'harder, better, faster, stronger' and 'television rules the nation' vocals are an influence....

any tips from producers out there?
    Here are some of my tips:
    First of all, you should practice saying words while holding the tube with the molars in the back of your mouth, without playing whatever instrument your using. If holding the tube is too difficult, you should try getting a mic stand and hold the tube there with a rubber band, velcro, or anything else you want. That seems to help a lot. Also, try phrasing words in a fashion that is much, much more exaggerated than you would usually speak. You should also shape your mouth in different ways, depending in whatever sound you want to achieve. (e.g: If you want you sound to have a higher tone and also sound a bit muffled, shape your mouth like if you were phrasing an exaggerated "U".)
    I'd also reccomend getting a mic. The best use for it is because you obviously cannot say consonants on a talkbox, so you must make the sound by yourself loudly while you're playing. The consonants that have to sound the loudest so you're talkbox phrasing is better are: t, s, b, l, n, d and k. Therefore, if you were playing TRTN, you should give emphasis to the consonants like this: "TeLeViiiSioooon.... ruuuLeS Da NaaaaTiooooN"

Hope that helps.

EDIT: I forgot to tell you. DO NOT SPEAK while you're playing. Let the talkbox be like if it were your own voice.

4. Rep:

Thanks

Great responses, am on with the practice now and will keep[ you posted on my results!

facedontfit_phil