1. Rep:

Tracks That Bangalter May Or May Not Have Worked On

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    There has been some uncertainty on the origins of the song released as Eric Prydz's 'Call On Me'. The usual story is told as this: Thomas Bangalter and DJ Falcon (Together) played an early version of Prydz's song live, leading to a white label vinyl being pressed of the song, accidentally being credited as the follow-up single to Together's 'So Much Love To Give'. This is the story the public is told, and that most people think happened. However, there is some speculation that the song was actually created by Together, and the idea was stolen by Prydz. I believe this is true, and have created this thread to support this theory with evidence.

The true story is this: Together created the song, but couldn't get the samples cleared. Prydz heard the song, and decided to try and press forward and put it out himself. His label showed a demo of the song to Steve Winwood (writer of the song 'Valerie', which 'Call On Me' samples), who liked the song, and agreed to lay down new vocals for the track. Since Bangalter and Falcon hadn't gotten the samples cleared, and Prydz used a version of the song with new vocals by Winwood, the track was released by Prydz with no credit whatsoever given to Bangalter and Falcon.

My evidence that the song was originally a track by Together:

1.This verison, the white label pressing credited to Together - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzzJB1oh7qE

Note at 2:28, a sample of 'Valerie' is brought in that is not in Prydz's verison.

2. Go on YouTube, and take a listen to the tracks that Eric Prydz released prior to 2004, the year 'Call On Me' was released. They sound absolutely NOTHING like 'Call On Me'. Very odd that he would suddenly change his style.

3. Eric Prydz NEVER plays 'Call On Me' live. There is one video on YouTube titled as 'Call On Me Live', but Prydz does not make an appearance. It isn't possible to find a video of Eric Prydz playing 'Call On Me' live, which is very odd considering it's one of the most popular tracks he ever released. I don't know if he just chooses not to, or feels bad for stealing it, but Prydz has NEVER played the song live.

That's all I got. Comments, contradictions, questions, and discussion would be appreciated. Thank You!

EDIT: This thread has been edited to include any track that may have been produced by Thomas Bangalter, such as Call On Me and anything by 'Thomas Falke'.

2. awe$▲m
    Rep:

You've summed it up.

3. Rep:

I just read a few months ago, from Wikipedia or sth, that yes, the original track was made by Bangalter & DJ Falcon, but due to stuff (" ... hadn't gotten the samples cleared"?) it got "stolen" by Eric Prydz. I hadn't even heard of this other, 'The usual story' version, haha.
    ಠ_ಠ

4. Rep:

Eric Prydz is a thief! Thomas Bangalter and DJ Falcon had it first and he had to be a gay and go and steal it! I'm never listening to his version again >:-(

Soundcloud
    R.I.P Romanthony, we will never forget you

5. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Sam_909 View Post
    Eric Prydz is a thief! Thomas Bangalter and DJ Falcon had it first and he had to be a gay and go and steal it! I'm never listening to his version again >:-(
    That is not at all what happened. Eric didn't steal it. It was his song all along. The version on the so-called "Together" vinyl was an early demo. It was miscredited as being by Thomas & Falcon because they played it out a lot on their tour....

I've argued over this topic too many times, so I can't be bothered anymore. I'll link you to this blog where Louis sums it up quite well... Plus you get a rare track to boot.
    http://letsbringbackfrenchhouse.blog...i-feel-so.html

6. Rep:

It's quite a grand track, and has a distinct Together feeling, since they, Falcon especially, have a history of using upbeat vocal samples spreading messages of love and togetherness.

However, I'm pretty sure Call on Me is totally Prydz's brainchild.

HERE's what I'm confused about. Similar case. Where the hell did High on Emotion come from? "Thomas Falke", the mysterious alleged producer of the Chris de Burgh sample-based track, has never produced anything else, and there is both an early version from the Together era and a more modern version from the mid 2000's, like Call on Me. "Thomas"and "Falcon" have obvious name similarities with "Thomas Falke", not to mention a connection to Fred Falke, popular house legend.

WHO is Thomas Falke and who really created High on Emotion? Is it a rare Together track that never got produced and was stolen by a one shot DJ using a pseudonym to capitalize of Together's success? Or... not? That's my question.

7. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by evilstereo View Post
    It's quite a grand track, and has a distinct Together feeling, since they, Falcon especially, have a history of using upbeat vocal samples spreading messages of love and togetherness.

However, I'm pretty sure Call on Me is totally Prydz's brainchild.

HERE's what I'm confused about. Similar case. Where the hell did High on Emotion come from? "Thomas Falke", the mysterious alleged producer of the Chris de Burgh sample-based track, has never produced anything else, and there is both an early version from the Together era and a more modern version from the mid 2000's, like Call on Me. "Thomas"and "Falcon" have obvious name similarities with "Thomas Falke", not to mention a connection to Fred Falke, popular house legend.

WHO is Thomas Falke and who really created High on Emotion? Is it a rare Together track that never got produced and was stolen by a one shot DJ using a pseudonym to capitalize of Together's success? Or... not? That's my question.
    Yeah, that's a bit of a mystery as well. I got nothing. I bought the "newer" version on iTunes and under "Composer" it just says Chris De Burgh. Is it possible that... maybe De Burgh sampled his own track under a different alias?

I'm thinking it's a similar case to the Prydz thing. Early demo > Played by Together > white label vinyl mislabelled.

8. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by B.E.A.S.M View Post
    Is it possible that... maybe De Burgh sampled his own track under a different alias?
    I'm gonna say no. lol

But yeah, it's a good track regardless. I've just always wondered.

9. Rep:

About High Again:

From what i've searched, Thomas Falke did High Again, and then did 2 tracks, "Valerie" and "Sky".

Now, the thing is, Valerie and Sky are credited as Thomas FALCON, and both are white labels.
    There is also another white label 12'' and a promo on Opaque Music that credits Thomas Falcon in High Again, but these were released the same year as Valerie, so its likely it was a name change, despite all the remixes are credited as Thomas Falke.

I assume that Chris De Burgh is the sampled artist, but i dont know if theres a confirmed sample of this track, because De Burgh is a successful artist thats been around since the 70's and making Best Of albums long before High Again and has no reason to mess up all our minds.
    DAMN IT! That is such a good idea!

10. Rep:

Oh whoops. Lol, I called it by Chris De Burgh's original. High Again*, not High on Emotion.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast