1. Rep:

Malware on TDC?

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    K so I don't know how long this has been going on but it kinda looks like there's malware here (probably through the ad's) on TDC. Chrome's gave me the 'OMFG MALWARE DETECTED GET OFF NOW' (sorry for **** qual, i couldn't be arsed to scrnshot properly...) page a couple of times now saying "urlcut.com" is the culprit.

So I kinda suggest taking a malware scan on your computers guize and hope there's nothing bad. I think you could just get away from the malware-ads by using an ad-blocker, but that'd be stupid :/

2. Rep:

I've also had this...I think it was visiting a certain thread? also by urlcut. link/ad/evil culprit should be banned.

3. Rep:

This happened to me when I entered the the show me; thread

4. Rep:

I've never had any problems with TDC. Is it only on here or are you guys getting that on other sites too? I don't know how to fix that problem because I'm not very good at these kind of things. But like Gym said, I suggest everyone who have had that problem to scan their computer.

5. mama p -- admin
    Rep:

ooh... uhm... hm...

that's... bad...

i think it might actually be my fault... or at least, i think i'm the only one using urlcut... i'm going to go switch all of my linked images away from urlcut, and hopefully that will solve the problem.

please keep updating us on this issue. for example, it would be a good idea to keep track of what appears on the pages that get that malware notice.

just for the record, i'm pretty sure there is no malware within tdc itself, rather these notifications are showing up because of what other people have linked in their posts or signatures, and that's probably where it's coming from.

just goes to show, that you should be careful what you click on, even if it's in an awesome place like tdc.

-edit- UPDATE!

it most definitely looks like urlcut is the culprit. while attempting to switch my images out, i also got a "warning" page when i tried to visit urlcut. here's Google's profile on the site. from what i read there, most of the pages seemed safe (only 2 out of 60 contained malware), so i assume we're probably safe, because what we're (or at least i'm) linking from that site is just pictures which we put up ourselves.

however, because of this, i recommend that anyone besides me who was using urlcut to link an image or something in a post or signature change the link to some other host. i will be changing my own signature over, and i'll be doing searches to make sure other users aren't also unknowingly using the site.
    ~僕は素晴らしいロボット~

11.11.2006・ALIVE・2007.08.09
    last.fm||tumblr

6. Rep:

I also have that, actually i had it trying to get on this very thread just now.
    DAMN IT! That is such a good idea!

7. Rep:

it just happened on this page

8. mama p -- admin
    Rep:

it probably just happened on this page because i had the images linked in my signature. (urlcut is like bit.ly, in that it shrinks the url, so i could fit more images in my sig.)

i've now changed all of my sig to bit.ly links and deleted the one other urlcut link i could find in posts. it appears i can't really check signatures easily, but i'll try to do that somehow or another.

to people who are getting errors on this page. try clearing your cache, so that the new image links show up--your browsers may not have recognized that i changed my signature, and i believe that's why you were getting the malware warnings.

-edit-

fwiw, i just got Chrome myself, i didn't get any error pages visiting this thread, so perhaps me switching my signature fixed it. as before, keep us updated on whether this warning shows up again, and on which pages you're seeing it.

also, did a Google search and i can't find any other instances of urlcut links other than those i've already taken care of. keep an eye, out, however, in case there's something i missed.
    ~僕は素晴らしいロボット~

11.11.2006・ALIVE・2007.08.09
    last.fm||tumblr

9. Rep:

I've never had a warning.

Quote Originally Posted by piroteki View Post

i think it might actually be my fault...

I accidently your TDC... Is this bad?

TumblrTwitterFacebook
    Carbon Uranium Nitrogen Tuesday.

10. Rep:

yeah. its URLCUT. i never had a problem though. and i use Firefox 3. the WOT plugin. and AVG 9 Free Ver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast