1. Rep:

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    They want to know if they should build head mounting rigs. Should I have them do that or just pad it myself?

2. Rep:

Lemme know if the price goes down. $400 for just a cast is kinda....rediculous...and I would do the padding my self if I were you.

3. Rep:

Like I said that price might come down. This is the original quote they gave me on additional pulls. After its completed he can prob give me a better smaller quote for perhaps as little as $250-300

4. Rep:

Yeah that would be more reasonable, I think Volpins are about $250.

5. Rep:

Why don't you just give us the homepage/contacts of this person so whoever wants a non-complete helmet done for $400 can contact him.

I just dont see the point of you cant telling us that, when your saying your not making profit of it yourself.

6. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Medokin View Post
    Why don't you just give us the homepage/contacts of this person so whoever wants a non-complete helmet done for $400 can contact him.

I just dont see the point of you cant telling us that, when your saying your not making profit of it yourself.
    You do make quite the point there...Just post the site. so what if other people know about it.

7. Rep:

Well here is the deal. I will not post the site ever. PERIOD! My reasons are as follows. I know how some of the people looking for helmets can be sometimes. The artist I am working with wants to deal with one person and doesn't want to be contacted by a bunch of hopefulls. He doesn't have the time to answer tons of emails. Another point I must make is that this to to be a low quantity order so as to stay under the radar. Like you guys were badgering about before with copywrite infringment. If I post his info up (which he asked me not to) then he could possibly risk issues himself if the demand all the sudden became to high. I told him of my intentions to create a thread at this site with a one time buy in to secure a helmet. He agreed, and asked that since I created the project if I deal with the aspects, because he has other work to do and can only be involved with the actual production.
    I posted a $400 price for raw casts based on his initial thoughts on what it would take to make a quality cast. He said it was high because he isn't exactly sure if it will be problematic or simple like most things. When I mentioned something about it he said they could be as little as $250 depending on the smoothness of the operation. I assure everyone when the mold is complete and approved by me, he will give me a more accurate figure on additional pulls. I honestly think it will be in the $275-300 range. Which I think is reasonable. I wish that I could pay $400 for one. I am paying more than three times that amount for the design and devolopment. Again I only wanted to offer others a chance for a quality peice, but this is becoming more of a headache then I anticipated. I am begining to rethink all of this, and have not decided if I will offer additional casts after mine is complete.

Hopefully you can all understand this, and if you can't then I can't help it make anymore sense then that. The pm's requesting the artist's info must stop. As soon as I get back to my pc I will post a few pictures of one or two things the artist has done. And when I get update pictures they will all be posted here so long as I decide to keep this going.

PLEASE KEEP THIS ON TOPIC. I don't want to be rude, I just want to see if there is anyone actually interested reguardless what the price is. Thank you.

8. Rep:

Pictures as promised! Here is some of their work. Enjoy.

9. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid Irish View Post
    ...My reasons are as follows...
    I can definitely see the logic behind all the reasons given. When you google "Daft Punk Helmet" my website is among the first couple of hits, and I easily get 3-5 emails a day from people asking for a finished piece. I do sell casts, but finished replicas are beyond my schedule and profit margin, so I can see why another propmaker would not want to deal with that sort of correspondence.

That being said, a $400 raw cast is a hefty sum. Thats not to say it isn't worth the price - I have seen plenty of casts worth all that and more - but I'd like to see the finished pull before passing judgment on it. Knowing the work that goes into making a sculpt perfect and also knowing what my client paid for his finished piece, I can definitely say that a piece of perfect caliber deserves to fetch this sort of price.

Judging by the work shown above, this guy is an experienced craftsman and knows what he's doing. If his work here follows suit, then these should be excellent pieces.

For the record, I've pulled ~24 helmets. 8 for my own purposes (5 destroyed in chroming process) 15 raw casts out to clients, and 1 destroyed by the postal service. My mold will probably be able to make 10-15 more before showing signs of wear and making unacceptable casts. Its an economy of scale - if this guy is only selling 10 copies, they will cost more to offset the production costs. Mine cost less because I make more of them.

my 2

10. Rep:

Thanks Volpin. Replied to your pm

Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast