1. Rep:

Re: Dung0beetle's Daft buckets

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPinski View Post
    But would you agree that when his peps were up for grabs (he was putting them out voluntarily) they could be used any way the fan (us) wanted? I think so. So long as people are not charging for the files themselves or selling ready made and glued together peps for money as I have also seen done here.
    But I guess my argument might be a bit flawed as well... I know when you were selling you blank casts, if someone who bought one from you remolded it and cast them out for profit it would pretty much be the same thing.
    At that point, the only fair thing to do would just to play show and tell and never give out your work?
    Its a tough subject thats for sure. Pep files have opened a can of worms in the prop world in more ways than one.

While DB did put his files out there for the community to use, there is (or should be) a certain degree of etiquette that goes along with it. In a perfect world everyone would think to themselves "Dungbeetle put a lot of work into these files, and put them out there for free. I am going to respect him by giving him credit where credit is due, and not trying to make money off of his hard work. Or at the very least, ask his permission/give him some money if I intend to sell casts based on his files."

But it doesn't always work like that, and thats how we end up in situations like this. Like you said, this is almost like a new form of recasting. But instead of having to mold and cast a prop to recast it, all you have to do is print it out, make it, and say its yours, so its a lot easier to do.

So yes, you are right in the sense that anyone who makes anything and "puts it out there" is taking the risk of getting burned, but that doesn't make it ok when it happens. Unfortunately Daft Punk helmets are in high demand, and the majority of people who want them don't care about politeness or respectfulness towards the helmet creators. They just want a helmet NOW, and for as cheap as possible.

2. Super Moderator
    Rep:

discussion on this topic has officially ended. while i appreciate everyone for voicing their opinions, the situation has come to a close and the matter is being resolved.

i wont lock this thread, but just.. you know. either get back to talking about normal stuff or dont post anything else, okay? thanks, guys.
    "I love the sound of my speakers dying for the sake of my music."

3. Rep:

file no longer exists
    follow me @marcusdelzell

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112