1. Rep:

Thomas Ear Cones - Build thread.

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Long time lurker, (almost) First Time poster.

I have been looking around for some good shots of the discovery Helmet of Thomas. There is a good amount of material out there, but strangely enough no real good pictures of the ear cones.

I know there are a couple of 3D build out there, but even then its hard to get a good angle on the cones. Any chance you guy can help me out?
    ------------------------------------------------------
    I have been watching these forums for a long time and most work i seen on the helmets is okay. There are a couple of exception (you know who you are) that have made excellent reproductions. So i giving it a go. I have working on the Thomas helmet and i already made ear cones and mold out of it, but im not happy with it so im redoing the it again!. Its clear to me now that its to big and not accurate AT ALL.

Suggestion, feedback + - everything is welcome.

2. Rep:

use the ends of pop cans, thats what i did. but if you wana make it like clay you could probably make a mould of the pop cans and turn it into whatever youve got going on there.

Quote Originally Posted by piroteki View Post
    unless i'm losing my **** because some DJ just dropped it and OMFGASGAGHWARHAWHDAFTPUNKTHISISMYTUUUUUUUUNNNNEEEEEE!!!!!!!1111
    lol

3. Rep:

Try different size pop cans till you find one that seems about the right size. Make a mold of it and then rework it until the shape is more accurate. Polyurethane is relatively easy to reshape. Once you have it perfect make a new mold and cast away.

4. Rep:

thanks for the pointers, but i already used that techniqueon my current one. These are made by the back of a soda can, and Bondo.

I looking to make a perfect replica of the Discovery Cones. Maybe i should try to make a schematic of one of them.

5. Redorangeyellowgreen

i actually did not use soda cans, instead, a typical vegetable can top and bottom. it comes out more to scale because you dont have that weird portruding ringaround the concave piece

6. Redorangeyellowgreen

Also, looking at a can righ tnow because you got me curious, look up Luchofunk's thomas helmet files and it's in spanish so the ear's file is Orejas.rar i believe. his documents come with pictures and examples to get an idea on how else you can build them

7. Rep:

Well i have been doing some research and did a drawing of the ear cones and the way i think they are. Problem is i got one picture that says that there isnt a ring on the outside...
    anyway..

8. Rep:

Falcon I am no where near as good at rendering as you, but I made this for you to help you with your build. The little light up part is what throws things off I think.

Hope this helps.

9. Rep:

ill try to find the pics I used to craft my ears but here is one of them, hope it helps

10. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bangalter View Post
    ill try to find the pics I used to craft my ears but here is one of them, hope it helps
    That picture raises a good point. One version of Thomas' ears in the Discovery helmets have two rings of light, like in the picture you posted, and the other version only has the one like in the picture I posted. The colors are also noticeably different, also.

This just seems to be one of many examples of the subtle and minor changes that happened to the Discovery helmets over the years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast