1. Default

Jimtopia's Musical Stuff! (Help me Improve)

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Hey everybody, it's been quite awhile since I made my previous thread, so I figured it was time to make a thread dedicated to the music I make, rather then just letting it sit in obscurity on my SoundCloud page.

So then, getting down to it, here's some links to my music from NEWEST to
    OLDEST.

Late to the Party - April 19th, 2011

Diamond - April 6th, 2011

Before - March 12th, 2011

Amped - January 28th, 2011

Kursed - January 11th, 2011

The Chamber of Understanding (Revisited) - December 27th, 2010

The Maze - Nov 14, 2010

Sheeple - Sep 20, 2010

Omission - Aug 30, 2010

Get Home - Jul 16, 2010

The Chamber of Understanding - Jun 24, 2010

High Score - May 8, 2010

There are some other ones on my page, but listen at your own risk, because they're pretty old.

Okay, so I'm very open to constructive criticism when it comes to my music, because I know that there are many ways I could improve, and there are a lot of very talented people on this forum who I'm sure could give me all sorts of awesome advice, so please do let me know if you can think of ways for me to improve my work.

Finally, "Jimtopia" is the name I use when I'm making flash animations, and comics, and it's good for those accounts, but the name doesn't exactly scream "musician," so if any of you would be willing to help me think of a more suitable (for lack of a better term) "band" name for me that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
    Jimtopia
    Last edited by Jimtopia; 19th Apr 2011 at 11:37.

2. Rep:

Sorry to bump, but I'd like to get at least ONE post before this leaves the page one and falls into nothingness.

3. Rep:

Re: Jimtopia's Musical Stylings! (Name Pending Approval)

I commented the songs on your SoundCloud page! In general you have good ideas and good songs, but you need to look into compression, side-chain compression and make a harder kickdrum to give it the right house-feeling!

4. Rep:

Thanks for the awesome feedback. I noticed a common complaint was the lack of a real good kick drum on almost all of my songs. The problem with my drums is honestly just a limit of the software I use. I have tried everything I possibly can to give my kick drum... well, a kick. And it always comes out either muffled or distorted in the final mix. I'm stuck using Garageband until I get some better software, and anyone who's used Garageband for drums will tell you the same thing. The drums in Garageband suuuck.

I'm still fairly new to the world of house/electronic music composition, so could you tell me what exactly sidechain compression is? I've heard of it before but I can never find a clear explanation of it.

Thanks again, and keep doing your awesome music,
    -Jim

5. Rep:
    Somewhere between a rock and a hard place

Quote Originally Posted by Jimtopia View Post
    Thanks for the awesome feedback. I noticed a common complaint was the lack of a real good kick drum on almost all of my songs. The problem with my drums is honestly just a limit of the software I use. I have tried everything I possibly can to give my kick drum... well, a kick. And it always comes out either muffled or distorted in the final mix. I'm stuck using Garageband until I get some better software, and anyone who's used Garageband for drums will tell you the same thing. The drums in Garageband suuuck.

I'm still fairly new to the world of house/electronic music composition, so could you tell me what exactly sidechain compression is? I've heard of it before but I can never find a clear explanation of it.

Thanks again, and keep doing your awesome music,
    -Jim
    for the drums stuff, you may want to try LMMS, which is free and avalible for mac and Windows (and Linux!), and you can just export audio files from lmms to garageband.

as for side chain... sidechain (can be one or two words) is when an instrument (usually drums) is louder than the other instruments and whenever this instrument is played, the others "duck down", or get softer. for a good example, listen to the beginning of my song, StarCrash, the bass and strings are not heard when the kick drum hits. That's sidechain. usually done with either automator/LFO controls or compressors.

btw, a LOT of house music (especially the 90's french house) used side-chain compressors.
    Last edited by STR@NG3R TH@N F1CT10N; 15th Dec 2010 at 00:21.

6. Rep:

I checked out that LMMS site, and I didn't see any downloadable version for Mac, they had Windows, Ubuntu and Linux though. Perhaps I missed something...?

Also thanks for the explanation of sidechain compression! Turns out I knew what it was, I just didn't know what it was called. Weird how that works. ;^^

7. Rep:

Bump due to updating the first post with new content: The Chamber of Understanding (Revisited) - December 27th, 2010 Check it out folks.

8. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Jimtopia View Post
    Bump due to updating the first post with new content: The Chamber of Understanding (Revisited) - December 27th, 2010 Check it out folks.
    obvious sample is obvious, lol
    anyways, you make pretty good ideas
    i think your biggest problem is mixing, the track dosent sound full enough, you know?
    and not everything has to be fully syncopated, this is house yo, right now, your stuff sounds a bit robotic
    mess around in the grid and see what you get
    hope this helps

9. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by EarlGrey View Post
    obvious sample is obvious, lol
    anyways, you make pretty good ideas
    i think your biggest problem is mixing, the track dosent sound full enough, you know?
    and not everything has to be fully syncopated, this is house yo, right now, your stuff sounds a bit robotic
    mess around in the grid and see what you get
    hope this helps
    First off, let me just say thanks for the feedback. I'll try to address your points as best as I can.

Yeah, the sample is obvious, but considering the song I revisited was my very first foray into sampling other songs I just had to pick something from a song I already knew at the time. If I sample in the future I'm sure I'll be picking less obvious songs, and definitely cutting up the sample more so it's not just in your face 4 bars repeating.

I think I get what you mean by the track not sounding full enough. If I had to take a guess I'd place the blame for that one mainly on the fact that I have no friggin' clue how to master my music. I'll be sure to do some research into this, look up some tutorials, and try to learn how. My software I use has the capabilities to wonderfully master my music, I just need to learn how to do it.

Yeah, I'm a little bit OCD when it comes to these things, I think that's why my stuff sounds "robotic" It bothers me when things are not right 100% square on the beat. Hell, this song almost didn't get made because my sample was just like 1/10th of a beat off at the end no matter how much I tried to fix it, and it was driving me mad. I'll try to improve on this though, I've just got to remember while I'm working on things that sections don't have to be perfectly on the beat every time no matter what.

Thanks again,
    -Jim

10. Rep:

Updated the first post with a new song, I tried to keep everybody's suggestions in mind while I was making this one. Hopefully it paid off. http://soundcloud.com/jimtopia/kursed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast