1. Rep:

Re: Guy Manuel TRON Helmet WIP

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    the paint job looks great! gotta get some of that montana gold stuff for mine.

a few questions for you:

in making the lip (which is an awesome idea btw), u said u just coated the inside of the shield with vegetable oil? will any kind from the grocery store work for that?

what grits and how many steps did u sand down ur helmet in? i didn't really know what i was doing when i made mine so i just sanded the bondo (took forver) and didn't know to sand after priming as well...

any tips for sanding the round parts?

you seem like you have the process down. so much progress in so little time. great work!

2. Rep:

Wow thanks for that!
    I just used what I had in the kichen, I'm sure anything will work for the oil as far as keeping the Bondo from sticking to the PETG.
    I just use a rubber sanding block and spend a bunch of time at it. Adding, Sanding, Adding, Sanding... Etc. haha
    I go down to 1000 grit paper after I used Filler Primer.
    Good luck with your build! Post a shot or two for your progress so we can help!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmseven View Post
    the paint job looks great! gotta get some of that montana gold stuff for mine.

a few questions for you:

in making the lip (which is an awesome idea btw), u said u just coated the inside of the shield with vegetable oil? will any kind from the grocery store work for that?

what grits and how many steps did u sand down ur helmet in? i didn't really know what i was doing when i made mine so i just sanded the bondo (took forver) and didn't know to sand after priming as well...

any tips for sanding the round parts?

you seem like you have the process down. so much progress in so little time. great work!

3. Rep:

cool cool cool. thanks for the tips. i just finished my pep build and added some cardboard reinforcements so far. i'm going to add the fiberglass and then bondo later this week and then i'll have many hours of sanding to look forward to. i'll post some shots when it's farther along and hopefully looking as good as yours. i might be ordering pcb boards from tekparasite as well so maybe we can work together to figure out the electronics.

here's a video of my first helmet, it's decent but i'm really not happy with the visor seam and ears parts.

if youre making the tron helmet i think the equalizer inside the visor would work well. there's a blue/white version that would be perfect...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gln367yTX-o

here's how far i am now... pepakura, cardboard, tape

i'm planning on doing the ears separately, possibly entirely out of wood. does you know if this causes any color discrepencies while painting? (i noticed ur circuitboard was made of wood).

materials:

Last edited by ohmseven; 2nd May 2011 at 10:39.

4. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by MrPinski View Post
    Wait a min... What's going on here???

More to come soon!
    that's awesome! did you do that by hand?

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011