1. Rep:

Best Baseball Helmet for Thomas Helmet

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Hi!!! I am just about ready to put my Luchofunk visor onto a baseball helmet, But since I have NEVER worn or held a baseball helmet, I wanted to ask: What physical characteristics should the helmet have to look the best when it is joined with the visor? Pictures would be awesome, but I appreciate everyones feedback!

2. Rep:

Re: Best Baseball Helmet for Thomas Helmet

Hi there,

Before I answer your question, I'd like to give you some advice. While in their heyday Luchofunk's files were the cat's meow, by today's standards in the helmet making community they are pretty dated and inaccurate. I would recommend to anyone looking to build a Daft Punk helmet to take their time and learn about Pepakura, and track down some Daft Punk helmet pep files (The 405th is a good place to look). While Pepakura can seem daunting, its ultimately worth the time and effort, and will be reflected in your potential future helmet.

But there is no right way or wrong way to make a Thomas helmet!

To answer your question, baseball helmets these days can be pretty fancy, but what you should be looking for is a helmet that is as simple as possible (which should also mean its cheaper). For example, one like the helmet pictured bellow would be ideal for what you are looking to do.

Depending on where you live, I know in the United States yard sale season is coming soon (if not here already for some!), which could provide some opportunities to pick up a helmet on the cheap. Just don't tell the people selling it what you intend to do with it, they might look at you funny

Hope that helps and good luck with your build!

3. Rep:

i just bought one from wal-mart
    "Anyone hating on any genre of music simply doesn't know the context in which its meant to be enjoyed." -Madeon

4. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by alive2011 View Post
    i just bought one from wal-mart
    lol. I'd buy one too, but I'm busy with the Guy-Man bucket

5. Rep:

For some reason, I can't find a baseball helmet anywhere in my city. Maybe it is because I live in canada and Baseball is not that big of a sport here. Anyways, I'll keep looking.

6. Rep:

Yeah, when I was trying to find a suitable helmet way back, it was a royal pain. Anything I found was over $40 and totally the wrong shape. That's why I gave up and used pepakura.

7. Redorangeyellowgreen

I must agree with anyone and everyone who says stop using a baseball helmet. Here's why:
    1. The helmet shape is NOT like the actual one
    2. You're wasting extra money
    3. Once you mess it up, you've messed it up, good luck trying to add a straight edge to where you cut too short.

Find Dung0Beetle's daft punk pepakura helmet file GIVE HIM CREDIT for it if you build it, and do the following with the pepakura model, i've been doing this on my most recent one and am happy with the results:

- Build it
    - Build a frame in it for stability (sticks and such work) inside it
    - Spray PLASTIDIP on it, and then fiberglass it. The reason being is because the PLASTIDIP hardens the material, but also provides some flexibility until you glass it. I really suggest the spray, not the actual dip itself, you will get a finer coating without brushmarks

IF YOU MESS UP with Bondo or fiberglass, you can actually soften it with a heat gun and make it easier to bend to shape or chip off.

I hope this helps =D

8. Redorangeyellowgreen

Quote Originally Posted by dylanwellshoora View Post
    I must agree with anyone and everyone who says stop using a baseball helmet. Here's why:
    1. The helmet shape is NOT like the actual one
    2. You're wasting extra money
    3. Once you mess it up, you've messed it up, good luck trying to add a straight edge to where you cut too short.

Find Dung0Beetle's daft punk pepakura helmet file GIVE HIM CREDIT for it if you build it, and do the following with the pepakura model, i've been doing this on my most recent one and am happy with the results:

- Build it
    - Build a frame in it for stability (sticks and such work) inside it
    - Spray PLASTIDIP on it, and then fiberglass it. The reason being is because the PLASTIDIP hardens the material, but also provides some flexibility until you glass it. I really suggest the spray, not the actual dip itself, you will get a finer coating without brushmarks

IF YOU MESS UP with Bondo or fiberglass, you can actually soften it with a heat gun and make it easier to bend to shape or chip off.

I hope this helps =D
    I would also like to add I have a box full of half-cut baseball helmets if you still want one, but i still suggest not to.

9. Rep:

i know this might be unrelated but on my helmet i used plaster craft and then bondo over it is that ok?
    "Anyone hating on any genre of music simply doesn't know the context in which its meant to be enjoyed." -Madeon

10. Redorangeyellowgreen

Quote Originally Posted by alive2011 View Post
    i know this might be unrelated but on my helmet i used plaster craft and then bondo over it is that ok?
    if it's like plaster of paris then wait til you sand it and it all cracks off.