1. Rep:

"Phoenix" Sample in "Forget About the World", Alive 2007

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Greetings,

Pardon me if this has been addressed, but I've neither seen this brought up in the DC forum, nor credited at whosampled.com:

I believe one of the drum loops on FATW as it appears on the Alive 2007 album (NOT necessarily earlier performances, as I definitely noticed the sample was missing in Coachella 2006) is, indeed, from Homework's "Phoenix". I'm talking about the clap/rimshot beat that comes in around 1:46 on the track "Aerodynamic Beats/FATW". Compare with "Phoenix" at 0:31. Am I wrong?

Again, sorry if this is redundant, but, like you all, I love figuring out when DP samples themselves, particularly if it's a more obscure track like "Phoenix".

2. Moderator
    Rep:

Re: "Phoenix" Sample in "Forget About the World", Alive 2007

Yes, after they revamped their show for 2007 they changed the interlude between Aerodynamic and Prime Time Of Your Life to include the beats from Phoenix, so as to keep the pace going instead of coming to a halt with the vocals from The Brainwasher playing acapella. It's amazing how many songs they fit into that show; if you listen closely in this segment you can even hear the heartbeats from Nightvision!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Sam_909 View Post
    Champiness

It's a sign.

3. Rep:

That's right, the Nightvision "heartbeats" are solo'd with the Ozzy sample near the end, yes?

It's amazing how just the addition of, say, this "Phoenix" sample and the decision to extend the "Television Rules the Nation" bassline into "Too Long" utterly changed the new Alive set between 2006 and 2007. And, like you said, the revised interlude better keeps the pace going, though the irony is that in the original, where the four-on-the-floor kick beat continues right into POYL instead of resting.

I suppose this all goes under the category of "Oh yeah, DP are sort of extremely talented producers" :P

4. Moderator
    Rep:

You're my kind of guy kobytrick! Hope you stick around!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Sam_909 View Post
    Champiness

It's a sign.