1. Rep:

SOLElites by A.J. Catalano

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    I didn't make these. All work and credit goes to A.J. Catalano. The same guy who designed all the lights in every helmet used in the Tron movie. Including Daft Punk's.

I decided to get some custom ones for my black Adidas (which I originally decided I wanted to add them to my Daft Punk outfit as a 'little extra touch'), and for another pair of shoes I have.

They have two modes. Blink as you step, or stay on constantly. (In action. : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUxUJ0uFcGI)

He just sent me these pics not too long ago. I personally love them!

Last edited by DaTBoYFrOMTeXaS; 21st Jan 2013 at 01:22.

2. Rep:

Re: SOLElites by A.J. Catalano

Stfu!!!! I want a set!!!! How do I get it?!?!?

3. Rep:

Head over to http://ajcatalano.com/solelites.html but DAMN... $749 ain't cheap... very nice though

Craig

4. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by MrPinski View Post
    Stfu!!!! I want a set!!!! How do I get it?!?!?
    http://ajcatalano.com/solelites.html

Also check out his other stuff.

http://www.ajcatalano.com/index2.html

He's made accessories and other pretty cool artwork/props. Including for some celebrities.
    Last edited by DaTBoYFrOMTeXaS; 29th Jul 2011 at 06:35.

5. Rep:

Wow....thats awesome...but way too much lol

6. Rep:

Fun Fact: AJ is actually a member here, he has just never made a post. I believe all he has done is send me a PM that one time in the past...

Anyway, nice purchase!

7. Rep:

I've seen those before they look wicked. Apparently they can also get wet without issue. Did you have to install them onto your shoes or did the shoes come with the SOLElites? And if you did have to install them was it very difficult?

8. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Agent RayBans View Post
    Fun Fact: AJ is actually a member here, he has just never made a post. I believe all he has done is send me a PM that one time in the past...

Anyway, nice purchase!
    Yup, I actually mentioned the forum to him yesterday. He said he knew about it and that the people here were really cool and nice.

He had great communication skills throughout the whole process. Real cool guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexiares View Post
    I've seen those before they look wicked. Apparently they can also get wet without issue. Did you have to install them onto your shoes or did the shoes come with the SOLElites? And if you did have to install them was it very difficult?
    Yeah you're right about the wet thing. He said even though they can withstand moisture, that you should still be careful with them and try to avoid somewhere where they might get wet.

And no. I didn't install the SOLElites myself. He did all the work. He custom molded them to my shoes. He said doing the black Adidas were simple. Although, he said the Nike's were a bit difficult as the bottom of those pairs of shoes have some curves to it, but he was still able to make it work.

You CAN, however, buy the shoes he provides (Chuck Taylor's) with the SOLElites already added on them, though.
    Last edited by DaTBoYFrOMTeXaS; 29th Jul 2011 at 18:15.

9. Rep:

pretty cool stuff if you want to make an addition to your daft punk custome!!!

10. Rep:

Hey guys and thanks to DaTBoYFrOMTeXaS
    for the great compliments.
    Yeah I know the price is high and I have felt embarrassed to charge that much but previously the price was $475 and as it turned out I was making zero profit at the price. So a business associate and also a shoe designer I know suggested this price as that is what some high end , painted on, shoes in some exclusive boutiques here in LA (like Fred Segal's) are going for $750 easy...and those don't light up. ha!
    They are so labor intensive it can take 8-12 hours to make a pair, barring no problems. Also mixing the chemicals for the rubber sole and casting that is my least favorite step of the process. It's very stressful and time sensitive, mixing just the right amount in a short window of time before it hardens too much and it's very sticky and messy. If it sounds like I don't enjoy doing it, I will admit, I don't! hahaha...but when I developed these (originally for Black Eyed Peas) they were explosively popular, so I continued to develop them. You can see occassionally Taboo from BEP wearing them and Will I Am wants a pair but he hasn't found just the right ones he wants with lights yet, according to his stylist. I've met Will several times before as I've worked on 3 custom outfits for him.
    The first was a chromed robot suit (very Daft Punk-ish) for their E.N.D. tour last year.
    http://ajcatalano.com/william.html
    Then his suit for Superbowl halftime show 2011, and recently a white futuristic suit for tour. He's pretty cool and very interested in futuristic concepts that can be used today, especially lighting and technology.
    Thanks again guys.
    Have a great week.

AJ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast