1. Rep:

Setting up a compressor for sidechaining/ducking

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Trying to get that 'french house sound'
    I have a Behringer MDX2100 compressor

For each channel there is Key External Send (T/R), Key External Return (T/R)
    Input (TRS), Output (TRS)

Just trying it for a basic kick and keyboard

Please help!!!
    My latest song could use some views:
    https://youtu.be/0rBraWKZRHo

2. Rep:

Re: Setting up a compressor for sidechaining/ducking

Quote Originally Posted by Aguy View Post
    Trying to get that 'french house sound'
    I have a Behringer MDX2100 compressor

For each channel there is Key External Send (T/R), Key External Return (T/R)
    Input (TRS), Output (TRS)

Just trying it for a basic kick and keyboard

Please help!!!
    For the french house sound you want to be using sidechain compression so the music dips every time the kick hits,what software do you use for recording? it might be better to just use a computer based compressor for this sound.
    A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence.

3. Rep:

You probably want a quick attack and an somewhere in the middle, but not too high, release on the low frequencies. Furthermore the threshold should probably be not too far below zero, and the ratio should probably be relatively high.

It's kind of hard to sit here and explain it in text, as it would probably be much easier for you to just experiment and learn what everything does.

If you were more referring where to plug each jack stick, then from what you've described there's only 4 inputs / outputs, so you should probably read the manual for that

4. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
    Fit might be better to just use a computer based compressor for this sound.
    No, hardware wins almost 100% of the time against ****ty software.

Quote Originally Posted by churro View Post
    guys zeememba to pwezz ze play buttone on ableton for ze show to start.

5. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by MissingNo View Post
    If you were more referring where to plug each jack stick, then from what you've described there's only 4 inputs / outputs, so you should probably read the manual for that
    Yes, this is what I am trying to figure out. Can you at least tell me what goes where? Do I plug an output from
    my drum machine to the external key return??

Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
    For the french house sound you want to be using sidechain compression so the music dips every time the kick hits,what software do you use for recording? it might be better to just use a computer based compressor for this sound.
    Yes, this is what I am trying to accomplish but can't figure out which audio plug goes where

I don't use a computer, just hardware

This is what the manual has about it

By activating the SC EXT switch, the COMPOSER PROs control path is disconnected from the audio input and therefore interrupted. The audio input is routed to the SC SEND output and the SC RETURN input now receives the new control signal which is derived from an inserted effects processor.
    Last edited by Aguy; 5th Aug 2011 at 20:38.
    My latest song could use some views:
    https://youtu.be/0rBraWKZRHo

6. Rep:

thats weird, because im pretty sure Daft Punk themselves used FL studios "Gross Beat" plugin for the song Derezzed.

7. Rep:

The French sound is NOT about sidechaining. Compress the master liberally (i.e. hitting 10-20db GR with a fast attack and release), and simply mix the kick louder than you ordinarily would.

If you have access to them, check out Kris Menace's and Alan Braxe's Future Music In The Studio vids.

8. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by newjacques View Post
    The French sound is NOT about sidechaining. Compress the master liberally (i.e. hitting 10-20db GR with a fast attack and release), and simply mix the kick louder than you ordinarily would.

If you have access to them, check out Kris Menace's and Alan Braxe's Future Music In The Studio vids.
    Exactly right!

It's a pretty common misconception that sidechaining is *the* sound. Well, there's definitely sidechaining but it's master compression that is a majority of the sound.

Also, try taking a kick that's not mid-high-heavy (e.g. like a 909 kick), making it 2-3db loader than you normally would, then set your master compressor's attack to a slower setting (like around 25-40ms), its release to a fast setting (this depends on the tempo of your track, but maybe around 40-50ms), then adjust the threshold until you get around 10-20db GR (like newjacques said). Watch the GR meter though - you usually want it to turn off (e.g. 0db GR) between every beat, so adjust the threshold accordingly.
    Pasta!