1. Rep:

Re: Interstella 5555 release on Blu-Ray with lithograph!

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwasderezzed View Post
    aren't we all when it comes to t bang and g man?
    i sense somefink. here's my official prediction: (its gonna bite me in the ass when it doesnt come true lol)

New album announcement by march next year.

N just to clarify im basing that on nothing but a gut feeling and a few noobs claiming to be working with daft punk. k.
    Thomas Bangalter on EDM - "Maybe it's just one guy called Eric David Morris."
    http://www.facebook.com/davidboin95
    https://soundcloud.com/fundave

2. Rep:

I don't want anyone working with them. Just go solo DP.

3. Rep:

I know we're going off topic, but I think the collaborations with Paul Williams etc will be simmilar to that of Todd Edwards or Romanthony.

Wee Waa
    Random Access Memories - Worldwide Album Launch

4. Rep:

Ehhh. I could understand some excitement for the lithograph, but how much better can an anime be on bluray as opposed to dvd? Are you supposed to be able to make out the pencil and pen lines better or something?

5. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by ION14 View Post
    Ehhh. I could understand some excitement for the lithograph, but how much better can an anime be on bluray as opposed to dvd? Are you supposed to be able to make out the pencil and pen lines better or something?
    I mostly buy it for the lithograph, I have the DVD already. You have a point about that anime on Blu-ray might not benefit from the extra details as much as a live action movie, but take a look at these screen shot comparisons from the anime Ponyo to see that the difference can be huge.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1232781

6. mama p -- admin
    Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Ridley View Post
    I mostly buy it for the lithograph, I have the DVD already. You have a point about that anime on Blu-ray might not benefit from the extra details as much as a live action movie, but take a look at these screen shot comparisons from the anime Ponyo to see that the difference can be huge.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1232781
    yeah, there will be some differences. i don't have a blu-ray player at all (aside from the ps3 at my parents' house states-side; and that's not even "mine") so idk if i'm really all that arsed about it. i am, however, interested in the lithograph, but does anyone even know what it's going to look like? i would be salivating over it if it was hand-pulled, but i'm pretty sure it was massproduced instead. ah well...

anyway, something to point out is that many of the backgrounds in Ponyo were hand painted in watercolor. i don't thing there are similar sort of backgrounds in Interstella, so in those scenes in Ponyo you're going to see a huge difference most likely that may or may not show up in Interstella. i think the first set of images (with loads of jellies in the background) is pretty much all cell/animation, though, so that's a fair comparison.
    ~僕は素晴らしいロボット~

11.11.2006・ALIVE・2007.08.09
    last.fm||tumblr

7. Rep:

I found this review:
    http://www.animeinblu.com/2219/deuts...germany-france

The image quality is pretty bad for a Blu-ray. It looks exactly like my PAL DVD version... I don't know if we're getting the same version, but I guess it's very likely. Disappointing. I don't think I'm canceling my order though, I'll wait and see if more reviews show up, and I might still get it just for the lithograph (that no one has seen...).

Edit:
    After comparing a Blu-ray screenshot with a DVD-screenshot that I took myself I've come to the conclusion that the Blu-ray looks worse than the DVD. What a ripoff!

Look at this gif I made to show off the differences:

This is awful... I wonder if I can return the Blu-ray and keep the lithograph somehow.

Edit:
    I sent them an email saying that I wanted to cancel my order. I might order it again if the lithograph looks great, but for now I'll just wait for more details.
    Last edited by Ridley; 27th Sep 2011 at 23:50.

8. awe$▲m
    Rep:

honestly, i can't tell the bloody difference between blu-ray and dvd... oh wait! yeah! the price... i'll stick with my lovely dvd thanks lol

9. Rep:

Anime looks GREAT in Blu-Ray...if it's designed for it or if the art is vector based. The problem is that most older anime (like Interstella 5555) were hand drawn and then captured at standard definition (480 lines, with a VGA display resolution of 640 x 480 pixels). So if you stretch them out for high definition (for "full hd" [as it is marketed], that means 1080 lines with a display resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels) in the process called upscaling, then it's kind of like stretching out a small photograph from 640 x 480 to 1920 x 1080 - it might look fine (especially if done with advanced image stretching algorithms) but it won't really add anything except a slightly better view on HD TVs.

In contrast, if the hand-drawn drawings are captured at a high resolution (like in Ponyo) or are drawn on a computer with vector tools (vectors can be infinitely resized without a loss in quality), then they can be remastered in true HD - in these cases you really can see a difference, especially in the hand drawn animes. Look at high resolution screen caps of the Origin anime blu-ray - it looks amazing!

Also, some very popular anime that were originally captured at standard definition have been "HD remastered" instead of upscaled. I'm not sure what this process entails (besides a lot of digital restoration, not unlike traditional art restoration), but these really do look a lot better than an upscale and are very similar in quality to animations like Ponyo which were "HD" from the start. A great example of this is the recent Akira blu-ray. Here's an interesting article on this process: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2394

PS: Please excuse any typos or minor errors - I'm tired and probably shouldn't be typing anything like this
    Pasta!

10. Rep:

Either way, it would have been nice if there was an actual HD remaster or something of Interstella 5555, though unfortunately there just isn't a large enough fanbase who would actually buy it to warrant such a thing. Oh well - I'll probably still pick it up, just later on.
    Pasta!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast