Tags:
nujabes
  1. Rep:

Nujabes

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    I couldn't find any Nujabes thread so I thought it'd be fitting to make one now since Spiritual State was just released.

In case you don't know who he is:

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Jun Seba (瀬場潤 Seba Jun?, February 7, 1974 February 26, 2010) was a Japanese hip hop producer and DJ who recorded under the name Nujabes (ヌジャベス Nujabesu?), the reverse spelling of his name in Japanese order. Nujabes was also owner of the Shibuya record stores, T Records and Guinness Records and founder of the independent label Hydeout Productions.

In addition to Japanese artists like Uyama Hiroto, Shing02 and Minmi, Nujabes collaborated with underground American hip hop acts CYNE, Cise Starr (as a solo apart from the hiphop collective CYNE), Apani B, Five Deez, Substantial, CL Smooth, Terry Callier, as well as British rapper Funky DL. He was also a member of the production duo Urbanforest, an experimental collaboration with Nao T.[1] His track "Feather" drew attention from underground hip hop listeners.

Nujabes was one of the most prolific contributors to the background music and soundtracks of Samurai Champloo, an anime which blends a feudal Japan setting with modern anachronisms, especially in regard to hip hop culture.[2]

A distinguishing feature of Nujabes' sound is his incorporation of Jazz samples in his tunes For example, the track "The Final View" on his album Metaphorical Music features the Jazz Standard "Love Theme From Spartacus" by Pianist Barry Harris, as played by Saxophonist Yusef Lateef, sampled over the track. Nujabes incorporates Lateef's head melody on oboe, cuts of his solos, and background piano comping in his piece.

On February 26, 2010, Jun Seba was involved in a traffic accident upon exiting the Shuto Expressway late at night. He died at a hospital in Shibuya Ward after failed efforts to revive him. He was 36 years old. There was a private burial with only family in attendance. Hydeout Productions has stated that Nujabes has left behind tracks, which they plan to release in the near future.
    Spiritual State is an album that was just released by Hydeout Productions and it consists of the songs he was working on before his death.

RIP Nujabes

2. Rep:

Re: Nujabes

whoa i just listened to his song folklore, its so amazing!

3. Rep:

metaphorical music and modal soul are some completely amazing albums. it's a shame of what talent he was and he was to pass away so young. very sad indeed

4. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by avengeance View Post
    metaphorical music and modal soul are some completely amazing albums. it's a shame of what talent he was and he was to pass away so young. very sad indeed
    Agreed. One thing I find really awesome is that his songs are the only ones I've ever seen on youtube whose comments don't make me facepalm. It shows just how much he's respected.

5. Rep:

Modal Soul was my most favorite album since I could remember. He was an awesome music maker, I was devastated when he died.
    I'm a 5'4" lady with a great passion for the music produced by:

Tumblr|dA|Twitter|My Store

6. mama p -- admin
    Rep:

yeah i bought the album yesterday and listened to it last night. totally up to par.

that's the first of his albums that i actually legitimately own, but the rest are obviously on my buy list.
    ~僕は素晴らしいロボット~

11.11.2006・ALIVE・2007.08.09
    last.fm||tumblr

7. Rep:

you should check out the anime "samurai champloo" it's a pretty awesome anime series pretty short about 24 episodes. Nujabes produced the music for the show.

8. Rep:

a shame we didn't had a nujabes thread on this forum . For me Nujabes and J dilla are THE two hip-hop legends. Both born on the same day and they both died too soon .

9. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by avengeance View Post
    you should check out the anime "samurai champloo" it's a pretty awesome anime series pretty short about 24 episodes. Nujabes produced the music for the show.
    Wow, really? I didn't know that, sweet. Yeah I haven't listened to any of his stuff yet but I've heard nothing but great things and it sounds like something I'd be all about so I need to listen. It's sad that he passed away, R.I.P. Any recommendations to start out with?
    Check out my Youtube gaming channel if you happen to be interested. http://www.youtube.com/user/RefMr
    And follow me here: https://twitter.com/RefMr

10. mama p -- admin
    Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by GijsH View Post
    a shame we didn't had a nujabes thread on this forum . For me Nujabes and J dilla are THE two hip-hop legends. Both born on the same day and they both died too soon .
    were they really born on the same day? that's amazing.

as for Samurai Champloo, i second the recommendation, but not all of the music is by Nujabes, there are at least three other producers who also worked on the music, though they all have a somewhat similar (though less jazzy) vibe. the soundtrack, animation, and story are all good, and that's what introduced me to Nujabes.

as for recommendations, anything and everything. if i recall correctly, he only has a few studio albums, so it shouldn't be too hard to pick something out.
    ~僕は素晴らしいロボット~

11.11.2006・ALIVE・2007.08.09
    last.fm||tumblr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast