1. Rep:

Re: Daft Punk Crash Helmet?

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    PM me with exactly what youre looking for. How many layers of glass. Finish, visor, etc. Thanks

2. Rep:

PM sent but apologies, i forgot to mention about finish and visor...the finish does not matter to me at all, i can do that here.
    The visor will need to be able to flip up and i havent decided how i'll do that yet so don't worry about that either.
    Thanks.

3. Rep:

Home made crash helmet sounds like a recipe for disaster. I think it would be better to take an existing helmet which is rated for the sport you wish to participate in and build over it. That way you have real head protection and the DP part can be purely decorative.

4. Rep:

i was thinking this but it wouldnt look anything close to the real thing. Crash helmets are a lot more basic than most people realise and although it wouldnt have a safety rating or perform up to the scale of a real helmet, it would be tough enough for what i need it for. It would'nt be used for motorsport, just summer cruises.

5. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by smileynialley View Post
    i was thinking this but it wouldnt look anything close to the real thing. Crash helmets are a lot more basic than most people realise and although it wouldnt have a safety rating or perform up to the scale of a real helmet, it would be tough enough for what i need it for. It would'nt be used for motorsport, just summer cruises.
    The original discovery helmets actually started out as motorcycle helmets, So......... It can be done.

6. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by smileynialley View Post
    Crash helmets are a lot more basic than most people realise
    This is not true. Don't underestimate the importance of a proper helmet, just like the beanie helmets worn by motorcyclists are for avoiding a ticket, in a crash they would be useless. A homemade helmet would be extremely dangerous.
    That said, it's your head.

7. Rep:

It's not going to be a day to day protection helmet, just something for short rides in the summer for a bit of fun, but also with some protection.

8. Rep:

That's still a horrible idea. What's to say a squirrel won't jump out onto the road and startle you, causing you to veer into a wall? A friend of mine wasn't wearing a helmet, just casually riding his bike along the side of a private at a leisurely pace when his tire caught in a storm drain and sent him over his handlebars. I saw it all happen. He ended up with a pretty bad concussion. A homemade helmet wouldn't have done him any good.

9. Rep:

This may be a little off topic, but this guy on YouTube does some pretty bad ass modifications to his motorcycle helmets.

Check him out!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tigerpau...eo-mustangbase

10. Rep:

Those lids look wicked.
    I got bored tonight so thought i'd give my bike helmet a spray job.
    It's not finished yet because i don't ave gold paint so tomorrow should be done.
    1st i made a rough stencil from card.

Taped the sides down.

Removed the stencil, leaving just the tape outline.

Covered over the parts of the helmet that will stay black + the visor which will be tinted, using news paper.

Gave the parts to be sprayed a quick sand down.

Sprayed with primer(gold wont come out as well sprayed straight onto black).

Thats all for tonight, hopfully i can get the gold paint and tint tomorrow and finish the job.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast