1. Rep:

Re: My first Bucket - Thomas w/Guy in progress!

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    red diffused. Got them from the link you sent me. Should be here by the end of the week.

2. Rep:

I was on vacation but not at home to work on the helmets. Before returning to university I managed to finally take a stab at the buckets. I spent a hour on cutting on the glove panels for two sets of gloves, and the other two hours covered resin dust. There is a good full day of bondo and sanding left before I can ship all of this to the chromer.

20121125_155630 by TK9336, on Flickr

20121125_163607 by TK9336, on Flickr
    I held off cutting the lip off the Sorenzo Guy; I want to mount the visor from inside the helmet but I want to mess with it more first before cleaning it all the way up. Given my limited time I picked parts to sand. I will probably do the wire hair the way Tek did it by cutting slits at the top and bottom. However I want to be anal retentive on being as CLOSE AS POSSIBLE and the ones I have pictures of show it almost as a seperate piece. Again, holding off. Input appreciated, since you can take milk outta the cow, but can't put it back in.

20121125_163349 by TK9336, on Flickr
    Remember, only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise... and many Bothans died to bring you this post! www.facebook.com/9336industries

3. Like zer0g likes this post
  4. Rep:

I think you should remove the panel on the back of Guy and mount it from the inside with the wires rather than do the slits method. The bubble that Sorenzo left in there is a bit too large when compared to the original.

5. Like zer0g likes this post
  6. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Teese View Post
    I think you should remove the panel on the back of Guy and mount it from the inside with the wires rather than do the slits method. The bubble that Sorenzo left in there is a bit too large when compared to the original.
    Agreed. The sculpt's hair pops out a bit too much. Mounting from the inside should be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by axelF View Post
    I let the rubberband do the magic.

7. Rep:

Thanks guys! I need the weekend to get here again so I can resume work. Though, working outside in 30 degree tempetures sucks, the lengths we go to make these stupid things I tell ya's...

Also, I plan on using rare earth magnets to hold in the electronics; in case I should need to make repairs. Good idea?

Tips on attaching the visor from the inside? I was thinking screw posts mounted via plastic weld inside the helmet.

Another impasse I've come across is that my pot doesn't cover my guy visor all the way, leaving about a 1/6 exposed. I think that doing that would create lines where the dye hits the plastic. Should I just get a larger pot? I have no idea where since that is the largest the Walmart carried.
    Remember, only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise... and many Bothans died to bring you this post! www.facebook.com/9336industries

8. Rep:

The originals have the hair looped around the back cap just as Volpin did.

I used that black engine silicone to attach my visor, with a bit of force you can remove it again.

The magnets sound like a good idea, they shouldn't effect your electronics.

9. Rep:

Maybe a cooking supply store? Don't want to see you have to spend a bunch of money on a big pot to use only once, but if thats what you have to do, you don't have many options...

10. Rep:

Yeah...I was hoping to one off it and take back afterwards. I would hate to see a seam line on the visor! The search will continue.

11. Rep:

I will have a four day weekend coming up, in which I can fully move these helmets out to the chromer. I am getting ready to make the chassis for the electronics...anyone recommend a glue? Rather, any reason to pick a apoxy resin, over E6000? I asked my brothers over at the First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment and I got mixed answers. Does it really matter?

Also, glue to attach the glove plates? I was thinking 3M all-weather adhesives.

Gauge for the wire hair for Guy? It's the thickness of a iPod charger cable. I don't know what that is.

Getting some more sanding sponges and paper for the approaching wetsanding apocalypse. Also, a belt sander to make quick work of the glove plates.

Also need to get opaque plastic for Thomas' ear pucks. Doing the double rings, by placing the 8 LED microcontroller inside making a hole in the plastic circle closest to the helmet to run the power wires out of. In the the end, the rig will run 4 AA batteries are connected to a 5v regulator for the main array, something similar for the sidebars, and two 9V batteries for the ears.

I will make my "canon" displays (the displays accurate as possible to the originals) after I send out the helmets, and make the chassis.

Appreciate advice and input as always.
    Last edited by TK-9336; 3rd Dec 2012 at 06:46.

12. Rep:

I use a two part quick set epoxy resin. It works awesome....smells like burnt tires, though.

3m weather strip adhesive is great for the glove plates.

I forget what gauge the wire is, I wanna say 3 mm ( is that a thing? ) but I could be wrong.

Acrylic plastic works well for the ear rings, if you haven't decided yet....it's a beach to sand and shape, though.
    For the latest updates on my props, visit my Page on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/L.E.Props

Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast