1. Rep:

Re: Thomas FIREWIRE Helmet

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Well, vacuum metalizing in general with resin pieces is a tedious process, because there are a lot of things that can go wrong........but it does work. All those c3po costumers have their suits vac metalized, so it can be done......and it looks quite awesome too!

Also, Daft Punk's original helmets were Vacuum Metalized,so it's also accurate!

2. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Crank729 View Post
    Well, vacuum metalizing in general with resin pieces is a tedious process, because there are a lot of things that can go wrong........but it does work. All those c3po costumers have their suits vac metalized, so it can be done......and it looks quite awesome too!

Also, Daft Punk's original helmets were Vacuum Metalized,so it's also accurate!
    thanks man, from what I've read I thought this was the case. Seems people have had success with doing it over resin. I think with all the information I've given them and the fact they state they do Resin Casts it should be fine, I might still give them a call monday morning though to make sure they get my email and test it on an earpiece.

The cast have been sanded, filled and primed. I would have thought that would seal it enough to stop any air bubbles being pulled. Having said that I'm not expert so maybe I'm talking rubbish!

I believe they also coat it first with a special base lacquer coating.

Manager of DAFT LIFE Facebook page/blog.

3. Rep:

I stand corrected gents, looking forward to seeing how it goes

4. Rep:

GUYS.

NEW INFO.

DO NOT VACUUM METALIZE.

im in shock right now, got a phonecall and part of the process is to stove it... only at 60 degrees. and they said it started distorting?! what the hell?!

they said they can do it but it needs a special 2 layer primer first but they didnt know this.

so yeah thats some info. theyre sending it back to me, they said its recuable and can be put back into shape so now i need to pray it doesnt come back too bad.

i kinda wanna cry right now.

5. Rep:

i really have no idea how bad it is gonna come back to me.

luckily my dads got a mad temper and owns a business so hes getting onto them and is going to claim money back if the cast is ruined. I told them exactly what it was made of and even suggested testing the earpieces first.

they shouldnt have even tried if they werent sure how it would react and havent done that resin before.

I dont even know how to feel at the moment im kind of in shock

6. Rep:

Wow man, that sucks. 60 degrees shouldn't have too much damage....but it still sucks. Sorry about that!

Luckily, I have some experience in warped Thomas casts. I bought a volpin one that got deformed by heat, but I managed to salvage the helmet. Patience is key.... What you'll want to do is to take a heat gun and thoroughly expose the warped parts of the helmet to high heat for about 1 or 2 minutes. This will warm the resin enough that you can CAREFULLY bend the parts back into its original position. If the resin isn't warm enough when try to bend it, the helmet could crack and or break. So be careful, but I'm sure you can do it. Let's just hope the helmet isn't too messed up, right?

7. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Crank729 View Post
    Wow man, that sucks. 60 degrees shouldn't have too much damage....but it still sucks. Sorry about that!

Luckily, I have some experience in warped Thomas casts. I bought a volpin one that got deformed by heat, but I managed to salvage the helmet. Patience is key.... What you'll want to do is to take a heat gun and thoroughly expose the warped parts of the helmet to high heat for about 1 or 2 minutes. This will warm the resin enough that you can CAREFULLY bend the parts back into its original position. If the resin isn't warm enough when try to bend it, the helmet could crack and or break. So be careful, but I'm sure you can do it. Let's just hope the helmet isn't too messed up, right?
    dude, i thank you SO much. seriously, these are the words I need in my life right now. i'm glad it might be able to be fixed and your advice is priceless.

when i get it through ill see how bad it is and hope its fixable. I have a heat gun too so thats one step.

I'll keep you all posted, I need to save this. i feel so crushed at the moment! but now I have hope. the guy on the phone said he thinks its fixable so i cant imagine its too warped.

(new i should have gone for the spray chrome volpin method! always trust your gut feeling people!)

8. Rep:

No problem man, glad to help! Hope everything turns out fine.

9. Rep:

that's lame...just be happy it didn't get scrapped like a few of Volpin's buckets.

10. Rep:

thanks guys. true words. just hoping its not too bad like they say! should get it back thursday so we'll see...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast