Results 11 to 20 of 32
  1. Rep:
    STR@NG3R TH@N F1CT10N's Avatar
    Posts
    3,331
    Points
    10,661
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Default

    Re: studio monitors.

    Remove this ad: become a supporter
    ...Crap. I'm getting AV30s. I would get the AV40s, but an extra $50US for only an extra 5Hz on the low end? I think I'll get a sub to go with it.

    If it makes a difference, deadmau5 uses KRK Rokits(?). Are they really ~$200 for one monitor?

  2. Rep:
    BurnerMan54's Avatar
    Posts
    524
    Points
    1,495
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Right Here Right Now
    Default

    Re: studio monitors.

    Quote Originally Posted by STR@NG3R TH@N F1CT10N View Post
    ...Crap. I'm getting AV30s. I would get the AV40s, but an extra $50US for only an extra 5Hz on the low end? I think I'll get a sub to go with it.

    If it makes a difference, deadmau5 uses KRK Rokits(?). Are they really ~$200 for one monitor?
    I'd take the ones with additional 5hz (but only if you have the money to do so) on the low end because it is generally easier to handle, at least from what i read about it on the web. Subwoofer is harder to set up because you have to be aware of the phase and frequency overlapping (which is pretty hard to get "right" in a casual bedroom studio)

    And for the second question. What kind of Rokits does Deadmau5 use ? I belive i might have seen some RP8s. The monitors i use and which i can recommend for any (small) homestudio are the KRK Rokit 5. The 8 Series was simply too big. The sound is pretty good on the 5s and i would go as far as saying those are probably the best in their price segment and above (lower to mid of the mid price range)

  3. Rep:
    scutheotaku's Avatar
    Posts
    1,334
    Points
    4,774
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Default

    Re: studio monitors.

    Quote Originally Posted by STR@NG3R TH@N F1CT10N View Post
    ...Crap. I'm getting AV30s. I would get the AV40s, but an extra $50US for only an extra 5Hz on the low end? I think I'll get a sub to go with it.

    If it makes a difference, deadmau5 uses KRK Rokits(?). Are they really ~$200 for one monitor?
    Absolutely do not use a sub for monitoring unless your listening space is specifically treated for it. Seriously, don't do it.

    KRKs are really good for their price range. They've got a great punchiness to the low-end, which is why a lot of dance music pros (like deadmau5) use them. The stereo image is great too (assuming you angle the monitors right - the manual provides basic instruction on this). You can read a review here: http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/r...-173461/review [in case you don't know, the "G2" just means Generation 2 - you probably won't see the G2 listed in many stores).

    Also, $200 USD per monitor is actually very reasonable for good studio monitors. In fact, that's a pretty normal mid-level price.

    Oh, and make sure you have some way to hook up to the monitors. Like most "pro" monitors, and unlike most of the cheap ones, they don't have a headphone (3.55mm) jack nor do they come with any audio cables. You'll need some way to hook up to them by either 1/4" TRS cables or by RCA cables (yuck!). For this, you'll probably need an audio interface (maybe you already have one). I also recommend buying balanced TRS cables instead of unbalanced ones.

    EDIT: And to clarify, I'm not knocking the AV30s. In fact, I know little to nothing about them.
    Pasta!

  4. Rep:
    Nik Strobe's Avatar
    Posts
    1,569
    Points
    5,417
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Essex, England.
    Default

    Re: studio monitors.

    Quote Originally Posted by scutheotaku View Post
    Absolutely do not use a sub for monitoring unless your listening space is specifically treated for it. Seriously, don't do it.

    KRKs are really good for their price range. They've got a great punchiness to the low-end, which is why a lot of dance music pros (like deadmau5) use them. The stereo image is great too (assuming you angle the monitors right - the manual provides basic instruction on this). You can read a review here: http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/r...-173461/review [in case you don't know, the "G2" just means Generation 2 - you probably won't see the G2 listed in many stores).

    Also, $200 USD per monitor is actually very reasonable for good studio monitors. In fact, that's a pretty normal mid-level price.

    Oh, and make sure you have some way to hook up to the monitors. Like most "pro" monitors, and unlike most of the cheap ones, they don't have a headphone (3.55mm) jack nor do they come with any audio cables. You'll need some way to hook up to them by either 1/4" TRS cables or by RCA cables (yuck!). For this, you'll probably need an audio interface (maybe you already have one). I also recommend buying balanced TRS cables instead of unbalanced ones.

    EDIT: And to clarify, I'm not knocking the AV30s. In fact, I know little to nothing about them.
    This is really good advice. in terms of the AV30 thing... I really would go AV40. if you check up the ratings they're so good for the price. I use them at the moment with TRS cables and I can really vouch for them. not only as pretty good entry monitors but for general music listening... WOW (which helps because the more you listen to other music on them the more you get adjusted to mixing your own music to sound right).

    I will defo be looking to get some KRKs soon too. I nearly got some a few months ago but I decided to get a better soundcard first. Focus Rite Scarlett 8i6 , it's amazing!
    Last edited by Nik Strobe; 15th Jun 2012 at 22:52.

    Manager of DAFT LIFE Facebook page/blog.

  5. Rep:
    STR@NG3R TH@N F1CT10N's Avatar
    Posts
    3,331
    Points
    10,661
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Default

    Re: studio monitors.

    A little too late for changes I think. I do have the right interface/cables for connecting my monitors.

    I think I'll stop posting stuff about my studio. Every time I get something for it and post about it, I get a lot of "OMG DON'T DO IT!!" posts. Nothing against you guys; it seems that I have no idea what I'm doing anymore.

  6. Rep:
    Nik Strobe's Avatar
    Posts
    1,569
    Points
    5,417
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Essex, England.
    Default

    Re: studio monitors.

    Quote Originally Posted by STR@NG3R TH@N F1CT10N View Post
    A little too late for changes I think. I do have the right interface/cables for connecting my monitors.

    I think I'll stop posting stuff about my studio. Every time I get something for it and post about it, I get a lot of "OMG DON'T DO IT!!" posts. Nothing against you guys; it seems that I have no idea what I'm doing anymore.
    ah dude dont get me wrong you havent made a mistake, was just a suggestion the AV30s will be fine. to be honest. half of it is having good monitors and half of it is getting to know them and what sounds right on them. after that just focus on the music!

    Manager of DAFT LIFE Facebook page/blog.

  7. Rep:
    STR@NG3R TH@N F1CT10N's Avatar
    Posts
    3,331
    Points
    10,661
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Default

    Re: studio monitors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Strobe View Post
    ah dude dont get me wrong you havent made a mistake, was just a suggestion the AV30s will be fine. to be honest. half of it is having good monitors and half of it is getting to know them and what sounds right on them. after that just focus on the music!
    Eh, I guess. I'm just gonna do my own thing for now.

    Continuing the talk about studio monitors...

    http://www.guitarcenter.com/JBL-LSR6...82-i1152802.gc


  8. Rep:
    LUK3FAULK's Avatar
    Posts
    752
    Points
    1,947
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Daftville
    Default

    Re: studio monitors.

    Guys, I've been looking to buy some monitors and was just wondering what kind of interface you would need to hook them up to a computer/laptop

  9. Rep:
    STR@NG3R TH@N F1CT10N's Avatar
    Posts
    3,331
    Points
    10,661
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Default

    Re: studio monitors.

    Quote Originally Posted by LUK3FAULK View Post
    Guys, I've been looking to buy some monitors and was just wondering what kind of interface you would need to hook them up to a computer/laptop
    I'd go with the Roland Tri-Capture. I'm using it right now and I haven't run into a major problem yet!

    Oh, and it comes with Cakewalk Sonar LE free.

  10. Rep:
    scutheotaku's Avatar
    Posts
    1,334
    Points
    4,774
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Default

    Re: studio monitors.

    Quote Originally Posted by LUK3FAULK View Post
    Guys, I've been looking to buy some monitors and was just wondering what kind of interface you would need to hook them up to a computer/laptop
    I'm a huge fan of Focusrite's stuff for great sound and features at a really good price. I can heavily recommend the Focusrite Saffire 6, though they may be a bit overkill for what you want (unless you want to have a few TRS and mic inputs and some great mic preamps, because then it'd be just right).
    Pasta!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Studio Killers
    By Toxic Kitty in forum General Music
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 13th Jun 2014, 18:55
  2. 4th Studio Album
    By Agent ofXana in forum Speculation
    Replies: 342
    Last Post: 2nd Apr 2013, 20:05
  3. FL Studio Help Wanted
    By Dj_Stratic in forum Your Music
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30th Dec 2010, 13:43