1. Rep:

Re: French House Essentials? (French House For Newbies)

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Hardware does tend to have its own sound and quirks
    I can see that from Mr Braxe's videos, the way he's playing it looks fun and i can hear the gritty sound.

Akai is a good brand - they have some of the best drum pads around!
    Sounds good enough to me, i just wanted to get that feel of live mixing French House samples (Like Daft Punk's Rex Club), and having enourmous fun making my own music along the way.

the SP-1200 is *the* Roule drum sound
    Although as much as i love Mr Bangalter's Roule music, it sounds a bit too gritty to me. To be honest i prefer Crydamoure, i just love the songs produced there (The only grit i know from Cryda is the hihats).

Did you notice how Alan Braxe "played" the SP-1200 in his video, or how the others played it in the other videos I linked to?
    Yes i have and it looks like it takes a lot of concetration just by mixing them together perfectly, or near perfect.

Akai also makes MPC controllers that are just MIDI controllers you hook to your computer.
    Well my choices so far are turntables, drum machines, MIDI Controller (Preferably Yamaha) and an Akai, going for an MPC

If I were you, I would seriously consider looking into Maschine.
    Is that the same as an Akai MPC? Because i saw the website and it sure looks like it, knobs, buttons and all. Except it is fairly smaller and has lights.

Keep in mind to make sure that these MIDI controllers are compataible with your software of choice
    Oh i will do my research before buying it, i have plans on buying a better software like Ableton or FL Studio.

THat simulates the whole hardware circuit of an old digital sampler instead of just bit crushing.
    I would check up on that but i can't spend money alot of softwares so i just go for free alternative bit crushers.

More generally, if you can't afford the SP-1200, get a SP-12 Turbo or an Akai MPC60
    Hmm, i'll prefer an Akai MPC for now, or the Maschine like you said earlier.

n pitching the vinyls up, they would probably just change the speed on their turntable from 33 RPM mode to 45 RPM mode
    A couple of semitones i think.

Ableton Live users also use it for full track producing.
    Full track producing you say, well that's good enough for me. I'm not the type to play live alot, i'm mainly try to produce my sounds instead. The live bit is just for fun.

It's pretty affordable too, with the full Producer Edition (the edition you'd want to get) being only $199.99 USD.
    Oh i see, well as far as i've heard the FL Studio is a bit hard to work with but since it's afforable i'll give it a try, and Ableton too with the trials. I've tested Ableton so far and it is fantastic, hard at first but pretty easy as for the basic stuff.

If you want to go the old-school hardware sampler route, then here are some other old ones that have a nice sound
    Although they all sound great but i prefer to be modern but i might go old school later in life.

2. Rep:

Oh sweet, thanks! With that price i can get both Ableton and FL Studio

3. Rep:

Maschine is a little different from a MPC. Basically it's a MIDI controller that's made to look like a MPC, but it runs off of the special Maschine software. So you basically hook your Maschine to your computer with USB, then use the Maschine software on the computer for all the sample loading and other stuff. The idea is that you get all the pros of using something like a MPC, along with all the pros of doing things on a computer. It's defintiely worth checking out - I think I'd be perfect for you, tbh.

Yeah, I love Ableton Live. Its interface is extremely intuitive, and it's great for live type stuff (whether you're playing live or just recording your arrangement in live with Session mode). If you get Ableton Live, then I highly recommend you buy a Novation Launchpad controller. It's pretty cheap, and it will be extremely valuable for your style/desired style. Look up videos on YouTube. A good example would be this one (though this is obviously a very advanced use of the Launchpad): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTx3G6h2xyA In that vid, he is usuing the Launchpad to trigger different audio and midi clips from Ableton Live (each square on the controller represents a clip in Ableton Live's Session View grid).

I definitely don't find FL Studio too hard, though I do prefer Ableton Live's interface. Really the only thing about FL Studio that I would consider hard is its mixer - I really hate how its mixer and audio routing works. It's defintiely work a try though, so download the demo

And yeah, it's probably best that you go with new stuff for now - especially since old hardware can always break down, and I bet it's pretty difficult to get something like that repaired in Malaysia without shipping it to Japan, the UK or the US.

Oh, and as a side note - a SP-1200 doesn't necessarily need to sound as gritty as the Roule records. They (by the sounds of it) purposely distorted their kick drums and such by clipping the mixer. This combined with the signature Alesis 3630 compression means that it sounds a lot dirtier than just a SP-1200 would.
    Pasta!

4. Rep:

If you're curious about Maschine, here are a few vids that might give you some more info and examples of what it is and what it does:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gusgB...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySW7J...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdFlF...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qz3TZOGmFU
    Pasta!

5. Rep:

MIDI controller that's made to look like a MPC
    hook your Maschine to your computer with USB
    The idea is that you get all the pros of using something like a MPC, along with all the pros of doing things on a computer
    I think I'd be perfect for you, tbh.
    ....I'm buying it....

it will be extremely valuable for your style/desired style
    Just these words and Madeon's reference is good enough for me.

Really the only thing about FL Studio that I would consider hard is its mixer
    Oh i know the feeling of it, the mixer is hard and it confuses me a lot. Even if i know how to use most of the VSTs

especially since old hardware can always break down, and I bet it's pretty difficult to get something like that repaired in Malaysia without shipping it to Japan, the UK or the US.
    Seems that i've dodged a nuclear bomb there, well i rather going for the new stuff and just applied the distortion filter on the drums (And maybe some vinyl effects).

And well i think i might go with the Madeon's path of MIDIs and Launchpads for now, practically we're almost at the same age. So my choice overall are one Maschina, one Novation Launchpad and Ableton Live. Sounds fun for live mixing and it's cheaper than i thought.

6. Rep:
    Talking

Quote Originally Posted by TheVertigo View Post
    Oh my, well first of all i am really inspired by the "old-guard" artists (Daft Punk, Le Knight Club, etc) but i am mostly influenced from the Crydamoure and Roule record labels' songs but mostly Crydamoure because i like the disco vibe to it. And thank you for the thread link, it is wonderful to see that there are nice "new age" artists out there for my music collection.

Can you please elaborate more on the sub-genres of French House?

Oh thank you, i will do my French House studies after

Oh i have Windows 7 64 bit and a whooping load of free and royalty-free samples to mixed together because i haven't got an instrument yet like modern turntables or controller to make my own tunes (Very expensive in my country). I have heard good things about FL Studio and Presonus StudioOne but do you need a turntable or instrument for it?
    you do not need an instrument for fl studio or ableton but you can use instruments with them.

hello!!!

i'm a young edm artist with an overwhelming passion for the robots. i make a lot of "deadmau5" style stuff but what i really REALLY want to make is daft punk syle disco house. can you suggest softwares that will help me make that type of music? (not ableton though)
    Last edited by DJ_Sam_909; 25th Jul 2014 at 13:25. Reason: Double Post

7. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by daftdriver890 View Post
    hello!!!

i'm a young edm artist with an overwhelming passion for the robots. i make a lot of "deadmau5" style stuff but what i really REALLY want to make is daft punk syle disco house. can you suggest softwares that will help me make that type of music? (not ableton though)
    I suggest FL Studio. I use it, although I'm not the best at Disco House.

8. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by daftdriver890 View Post
    (not ableton though)
    What's wrong with Ableton? That would be the program I would suggest. I think it's very user-friendly compared to most DAWs and it's my preferred platform for making music.

Either that or Logic Pro if you've got a Mac. I haven't used it since it upgraded to Logic Pro X but it's great for getting ideas down and it's the DAW I started with personally.

Soundcloud
    R.I.P Romanthony, we will never forget you

9. Like JackScoby likes this post
  10. Rep:

What about Ideas? I've been having many difficulties getting Ideas for how a new song would sound like. Like, I can think of any ideas.

11. Rep:

Do you mean melodically speaking? I usually just load up a song that I thinks sounds like it'd have good sampling potential (no real way to really describe this) or that I like, find interesting parts generally anywhere from a few beats to 1/32th of a beat long, and just start either thinking about how to piece them together while rearranging them randomly until finding a combination that sounds nice.

The best completely original melodies actually pop up in my head when I'm not thinking about music at all, funnily enough.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast