1. Rep:

Re: French House Essentials? (French House For Newbies)

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    From a melodic standpoint. Things such as Chord Progressions, Bassline, and all of that other jazz. I can't come with any ideas and would like to know how to. And also, what genre do French House artists tend to sample?

2. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by DJHaznoskilz View Post
    From a melodic standpoint. Things such as Chord Progressions, Bassline, and all of that other jazz. I can't come with any ideas and would like to know how to. And also, what genre do French House artists tend to sample?
    I don't really use music theory, I just sort of work things out. But music theory can be good for coming up with chord progressions so read up on that if you want or just experiment until you find something that works for you.

For basslines, they usually follow the chords and strengthen the rhythm of the song. Sometimes I make chords first and then figure out a bassline, other times I come up with a bassline first and then figure out chords. Listen to basslines you like and copy them to see how they're built, and you'll find inspiration for your own basslines eventually.

But if you sample a song, that song already has a bassline and chords so maybe everything falls into place when you cut and loop the samples. Other times a sample doesn't have a bassline or you filter it out and then make a new bassline for it.

For the samples, I suggest you look at http://www.whosampled.com/ and search for artists you like and you can find what type of songs they have sampled. You'll find that french house often samples disco and funk from the 70s to the 80s. Mostly by black artists, I remember someone once jokingly said something like "the more afros are on the album cover, the more likely you'll be to find a good sample".

3. Rep:

Haha yep. That joke does seem to hold some truth. And that seems like a pretty good way to go. Thanks dude. By the way, did you happen to make a track for Daft Punk: The 4th Album?

4. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by DJHaznoskilz View Post
    Haha yep. That joke does seem to hold some truth. And that seems like a pretty good way to go. Thanks dude. By the way, did you happen to make a track for Daft Punk: The 4th Album?
    I did! This one:
    https://soundcloud.com/sir-ridley/da...4th-album-demo

Not many afros in the sample though:

I think I had two layers of the sample, one with everything except the bass, and one with only bass, and I could combine different parts of the song that way. I think I doubled the bass too, with a layer where I recreated the bass melody. All of the melody comes from the samples, but I added a tiny bit of keyboard to some places. I remember I had trouble structuring the song and making it interesting over time so I think I studied Daft Punk's Crescendolls to see how they used small variations and different parts across the song.

5. Rep:

Nice work! I loved that song you put out (and still do). I remember being in the gym with me and my friends in 7th grade over 2 years ago in P.E and putting this song on from my mp3 player during Workout Wednesday. Good times. Anyway, thanks for the advice dude.

6. Like Ridley likes this post
  7. Rep:

Hehe, such a nice memory! Thank you!

8. Like DJHaznoskilz likes this post
  9. Rep:

You're welcome dude. I really haven't done any french house. I've been doing my own thing for the past 4 months that I've began producing music. If you'd like you can check out my soundcloud. I haven't been doing much however.

https://soundcloud.com/djhaznoskilz

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234