1. Rep:

French House Essentials? (French House For Newbies)

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Hello, now these are the questions that i've been asking and searching for but to no avail (So far) so here goes.

Firstly, what is the essentials of making sweet french house music?

Secondly, is there any tips on working on french house music for newbies such as myself?

And Finally, how do you make a "french touch" remix of a song?

A sidenote, is ACID Pro 7.0 good at mixing french house music or french touch remixing? Because that is the only thing i have in terms of software.
    Last edited by TheVertigo; 24th Jun 2012 at 02:51. Reason: Adding more contents

2. Rep:
    Somewhere between a rock and a hard place

Re: French House Essentials? (French House For Newbies)

There are many ways to do it. My suggestion is to go to this thread and start searching the crap out of the artists and labels listed (there are a TON of them; it's gonna take some time) as a starting point. Page 2 has some "old-guard" artists from the early and highlights of the original movement.

The reason why is because there are many different styles of French house. They don't vary too dramatically, but they vary enough to be sorted into different sub-genres.

Also, check out this article on Wikipedia on French house. It's very helpful in getting a basic understanding of French house and it's culture. Even if you think you know a lot about it, read it; I promise that you'll find something you didn't know.

As for ACID, it's not a half bad DAW, but for what you want I would try something else. FL Studio, Ableton, and Logic are popular for French house. Presonus StudioOne is a great DAW for electronic music. What OS are you running?

3. Rep:

Oh my, well first of all i am really inspired by the "old-guard" artists (Daft Punk, Le Knight Club, etc) but i am mostly influenced from the Crydamoure and Roule record labels' songs but mostly Crydamoure because i like the disco vibe to it. And thank you for the thread link, it is wonderful to see that there are nice "new age" artists out there for my music collection.

Can you please elaborate more on the sub-genres of French House?

Oh thank you, i will do my French House studies after

Oh i have Windows 7 64 bit and a whooping load of free and royalty-free samples to mixed together because i haven't got an instrument yet like modern turntables or controller to make my own tunes (Very expensive in my country). I have heard good things about FL Studio and Presonus StudioOne but do you need a turntable or instrument for it?

4. Rep:
    Somewhere between a rock and a hard place

Gonna break this down to make it simpler.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVertigo View Post
    Oh my, well first of all i am really inspired by the "old-guard" artists (Daft Punk, Le Knight Club, etc) but i am mostly influenced from the Crydamoure and Roule record labels' songs but mostly Crydamoure because i like the disco vibe to it. And thank you for the thread link, it is wonderful to see that there are nice "new age" artists out there for my music collection.

Can you please elaborate more on the sub-genres of French House?
    That I know of, there's Disco House, Filter House, and Neu-Disco.

Disco house and Filter house are very close to each other. They were some of the earlier tracks heard in the "French house" loop. These are usually very simple; sample looped around a few times and then adding a Drum loop (Usually provided by a Roland TR-909) and maybe a bassline (Usually provided by a Roland TB-303). Sometimes artists got a little creative and chopped up the samples mid-song to provide a little variety.

Le Knight Club and Daft Punk were notorious for chopping up samples. Here's a great video on all of Le Knight Club's samples. DJ Evilstereo was a member of this forum and he is a great French House producer. He has a series on his youtube (same channel as the Le Knight Club video) about different House tracks and how they were sampled. I would highly suggest watching this video.

Just a warning: if you plan on using samples from other artists, you will have to ask permission from them if you want to sell it. If it's just for fun, I'm sure they won't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVertigo View Post
    Oh i have Windows 7 64 bit and a whooping load of free and royalty-free samples to mixed together because i haven't got an instrument yet like modern turntables or controller to make my own tunes (Very expensive in my country). I have heard good things about FL Studio and Presonus StudioOne but do you need a turntable or instrument for it?
    You do NOT need a turntable or instrument for most DAWs, but it his highly recommended.

What country do you live in? My M-Audio Oxygen49 was only $150US, and it's a great controller. Most old-guard artists used more hardware than software, but that's because they didn't have all of the fancy software tech we do today.

A turntable wouldn't be a half bad idea if you plan on sampling. A simple tape player would be a good idea too. Find old funk records/tapes and start from there.

5. Like TheVertigo, Champiness likes this post
  6. Moderator
    Rep:

...Well it's kind of hard to follow that up, but I'd just like to make note of a particular song that, to me at least, demonstrates the full scope of French House's potential.
    "The Wrath Of Zeus" by The Eternals is quite possibly the best example of sampling in the history of the genre. They took a three-note violin flourish from "Keep On Jumpin'" by Musique (0:28):

...and through laborious chopping and timestretching, made an entirely new melody out of it, which forms the basis of their track. They then created a backbone for the song out of the keyboard intro to "All Night Dancing" by Lipps Inc. (which, keep in mind, is in a different key from the first sample, so it was really a stroke of genius to discover they worked together so well):

...and as a finishing touch they used an occasional horn flourish from "Street Life" by The Crusaders:

Put it all together with some pitched-down vocals and a hilarious concept (the Greek god Zeus, disguised as a DJ, takes offense to someone insulting his mixing, and decides to punish the entire club by playing a record so good that they can't help but dance to it for all eternity) and you've got a French House classic:

It just goes to show that there's a lot more to the genre than looping four bars from a random disco song and putting a flanger and a beat behind it (though that's produced some excellent songs as well).
    Last edited by Champiness; 24th Jun 2012 at 20:34.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Sam_909 View Post
    Champiness

It's a sign.

7. Like avengeance, On The Fly likes this post
  8. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by STR@NG3R TH@N F1CT10N View Post
    a bassline (Usually provided by a Roland TB-303).
    I did not know acid house was called French house

Quote Originally Posted by churro View Post
    guys zeememba to pwezz ze play buttone on ableton for ze show to start.

9. Like Skylights, tom2991, DJ_Sam_909, Champiness likes this post
  10. Rep:

Sometimes artists got a little creative and chopped up the samples mid-song to provide a little variety.
    Is there a way to chop up the samples? I have tried to do that in ACID but it doesn't sound so good.

Just a warning: if you plan on using samples from other artists, you will have to ask permission from them if you want to sell it. If it's just for fun, I'm sure they won't mind.
    Oh i see, so do need to ask permission for royalty-free loops and samples as well?

What country do you live in? My M-Audio Oxygen49 was only $150US, and it's a great controller. Most old-guard artists used more hardware than software, but that's because they didn't have all of the fancy software tech we do today.
    I lived in Malaysia, it's a country close to Singapore and the cost for DJ equipments costs to the thousands and there are limited stores selling them so i heavily rely on my ACID Pro and free samples and disco cover vocals for my music.

Find old funk records/tapes and start from there.
    Oh i have, mostly from my dad's old CDs, fortunately he had a Best of The Bee Gees CD so i could start from there.

11. Rep:

Amazing sampling (And story), one question raises in mind though. Can other genre of music besides disco can be sampled to French House?

12. Rep:

you can sample anything you want.
    don't just try to restrict your talents to one particular genre; it results in a lot of untouched creativity.

13. Like DJHaznoskilz likes this post
  14. Rep:

I see, but sampling songs is a bit difficult though for me since i don't have any hardware or good softwares (Only ACID Pro 7). The songs i knew that has other genre of music sampled in a french house track is Daft Punk's Fresh and of course Robot Rock.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast