1. Rep:
    Wink

Spike Jonze on making "Da Funk"

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Hello again, Daft Clubbers! I came across another Daft Punk-related director's set where I found the Michel Gondry compilation. This time we have a short interview with Spike Jonze. I don't know who this mysterious benefactor is, but I'm thankful

The Daft Punk video totally feels like a predecessor to Malkovich.
    It was, it definitely was. I shot that a year and a half before we did Malkovich, but I was already starting to work with Charlie [Kaufman] on the script. I was thinking about it, and thinking about how to shoot in New York with very few lights - have it feel very naturalistic. Having this surrealistic element and treating it very naturally. That was definitely the idea. And also seeing if I could work with actors doing dialogue, and learn about that.

Daft Punk were pretty new at the time, right?
    I got the song [Da Funk] and I'd never heard of Daft Punk. The record wasn't out. But there was something about that song and the record that had such a sense of fun to it. It had the best vibe to it. And also, that song, to me, always felt like the kind of song you'd put on, going out with your friends on a Saturday night and it makes you feel cool about yourself. That's the feel that I wanted the main character to have. Kind of feeling like John Travolta strutting down the street in Saturday Night Fever. Even though he was a dog boy with a broken leg, he still had this song that made him feel cool about himself.

What was it like the first time you met Daft Punk?
    I took photos from magazines and color xeroxed photos from dog books and I made these different mock ups. Really beautiful photography of this guy in a tight suit from some men's fashion magazine, with a dog's head, looking at the camera. And I brought those when I met Thomas and Guy when they were in LA. They turned out to be really cool and very self-possessed. They were maybe four or five years younger than me. They were telling me how they made the record in their bedrooms, they put it out with Virgin but they didn't sell it to Virgin, they just licensed it to Virgin, so they owned it. They owned their publishing, they owned their masters, and they were gonna pay for their videos themselves so they would own them. They were doing everything based on how they wanted to do it. As opposed to, "oh we got signed to this record company, we gotta use their plan." They wanted to make sure they never had to do anything that would make them feel bummed on making music. And they set up all their business stuff to make sure making music would always be fun and creative and not ruin the feeling by being forced to do something they didn't want to do. It was very inspiring.

It was one of those great things where I heard their music and I got a good feel from it, and when I met them they were everything that I'd related to. And it worked out perfectly. They loved the idea. They had some suggestions. I don't remember what. They are big movie watchers, film and music lovers. We talked about it. They weren't in the video, but they came and hung out every night that we filmed it. It was New York in December. It was freezing cold, and they were there every night just videotaping, taking pictures. They were really into it.

And Hugh Gallager worked on that?
    Yeah, I wrote the story, he wrote the dialogue.

(Here it rambles off about Gallagher and another video. Hope you all enjoy!)
    Last edited by CherieD'Amoure; 12th Jul 2012 at 18:20. Reason: Forgot an S there. Oopsie.
    Musical Mod
    "No art is so subject to indiscriminate judgement as music." - Johann Joachim Quantz

2. Like john_marston, Champiness likes this post
  3. Rep:

Re: Spike Jonze on making "Da Funk"

Woo! Spike Jonze and Michel Gondry are my favourite music video directors! Thanks for the post!

Also, I didn't know they made Da Funk in their bedroom! That's quite cool Although that does imply that they shared a bedroom...

Soundcloud
    R.I.P Romanthony, we will never forget you

4. Like Champiness, CherieD'Amoure likes this post
  5. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Sam_909 View Post
    Woo! Spike Jonze and Michel Gondry are my favourite music video directors! Thanks for the post!

Also, I didn't know they made Da Funk in their bedroom! That's quite cool Although that does imply that they shared a bedroom...
    No problem! And I realized I forgot an S, thanks to your comment; I may have dashed the hopes of some shippers just then. lol
    I wonder if that picture of Thomas with the load of keyboards is a shot of one of their rooms? I also wonder how they fit all their equipment into one of their rooms and still had room to sleep.
    Musical Mod
    "No art is so subject to indiscriminate judgement as music." - Johann Joachim Quantz

6. Rep:

Most of their early work like, assault and the new wave was made in Thomas' Bedroom. They had such a simple set up, only about 1000$ worth of equipment, a synth some drum machines and that's about. It was only until later on where they could record in a professional studio. Once they got in there, they could record songs like around the world and phoenix and all that which have such a larger production value than say, da funk. It's pretty amazing that The new wave was made when they were only young teenagers, around 18 or 17 years old. Da funk was made around 95' I think and it was released in 96'.

Thanks for the interview man, I love the Da funk video ^-^
    //*******//∆\\*******\\

Who needs a fancy signature anyways???

7. Like CherieD'Amoure likes this post
  8. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by daq422 View Post
    Most of their early work like, assault and the new wave was made in Thomas' Bedroom. They had such a simple set up, only about 1000$ worth of equipment, a synth some drum machines and that's about. It was only until later on where they could record in a professional studio. Once they got in there, they could record songs like around the world and phoenix and all that which have such a larger production value than say, da funk. It's pretty amazing that The new wave was made when they were only young teenagers, around 18 or 17 years old. Da funk was made around 95' I think and it was released in 96'.

Thanks for the interview man, I love the Da funk video ^-^
    No problem! I love finding and sharing these interviews with you all.
    Ah, that makes more sense. Agreed, to have limited resources and to create something that sounds that great blows my mind. But that's DP for you!
    Musical Mod

9. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by CherieD'Amoure View Post
    No problem! I love finding and sharing these interviews with you all.
    Ah, that makes more sense. Agreed, to have limited resources and to create something that sounds that great blows my mind. But that's DP for you!
    That's what makes them Daft Punk man
    //*******//∆\\*******\\

Who needs a fancy signature anyways???

10. Like CherieD'Amoure likes this post
  11. Rep:

Nice interview! Did you type that all from watching a video?? And is this on the ''work of director spike jonze'' DVD?
    I really like Spike. It's such a strange link, but you can connect them all together. Spike, who directed a daft punk video, was Married to Sofia Coppola (one of my favourite movie directors) who is now married to Thomas Mars, who is the singer of Phoenix. Now you can connect the dots ^_^

12. Moderator
    Rep:

I believe there's actually an interview where the author refers to Da Funk being created as a result of Thomas and Guy "messing around in their bedroom".
    This is an excellent interview! It's interesting to see Jonze's take on the creation of the video.

Champiness

It's a sign.

13. Like CherieD'Amoure likes this post
  14. Rep:

these kind of interviews gives a bit of insight to daft punk, which i really like. I think it's rather interesting to know how they are as persons, especially in their early days. What i also think is pretty cool is that daft punk was smart enough to not sell their work and to raise funds for everything themselves.

15. Like CherieD'Amoure likes this post
  16. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by john_marston View Post
    Nice interview! Did you type that all from watching a video?? And is this on the ''work of director spike jonze'' DVD?
    I really like Spike. It's such a strange link, but you can connect them all together. Spike, who directed a daft punk video, was Married to Sofia Coppola (one of my favourite movie directors) who is now married to Thomas Mars, who is the singer of Phoenix. Now you can connect the dots ^_^
    It's the 3 Degrees to Daft Punk game! lol
    It was from that DVD set, I believe, and I wrote down what was in the booklet of interviews that accompanied it. That would be a heck of an achievement to type that by ear. I can't say I'm that awesome yet. lol
    Musical Mod