1. Rep:

Re: Burnin'/Mothership Reconnection/Voyager Phat Bass. How?!

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Much to my surprise, "Voyager" does indeed appear to be a 303. I guess I didn't really believe it until I tested it myself. It's not exact, but I think it's close enough to hear that they're the same instrument/sound.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/95294354/voyager.wav

The first one is my recreation, second is "Voyager", and then third is the two of them on top of each other.

2. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by thenatbird View Post
    Much to my surprise, "Voyager" does indeed appear to be a 303. I guess I didn't really believe it until I tested it myself. It's not exact, but I think it's close enough to hear that they're the same instrument/sound.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/95294354/voyager.wav

The first one is my recreation, second is "Voyager", and then third is the two of them on top of each other.
    It seems that way, yes! Very close.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbguy View Post
    You, my man, are a godsend. Compress it a bit, low pass filter on top, and I think we have the final product. Also, were you using the ABL2?
    I hope it helps! Actually I used a free synth for Reason called Analog Groove Boxes by Phuturetone. I guess it could sound better using the ABL2 though. Do you want to see the settings I used or anything?

Also, I think I just nailed ATW. Just like in thenatbird's example its recreation, original, both.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2094645/Aro...rld%20Bass.mp3

Also, check out 5:49 in this video to hear Around The World turn acid (pretty awesome):

Links:
    Free 303 for Reason: http://www.phuturetone.com/
    ABL2 for Reason: http://shop.propellerheads.se/produc...s-synthesizer/
    Last edited by Ridley; 1st Sep 2012 at 11:49.

3. Like something awesome, Champiness likes this post
  4. Rep:

awww guys, that "alavi bass" i used to call as "cryda bass" - i used to think it's roland sh-101.
    search for good vst emulation "Tal - Bassline" and use preset "Soft Bass". Just add some resonance for filter

5. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by dumbguy View Post
    Well the Mothership one is a real bass, and Burnin' does have a sample, but listening to it over and over, it seems like they redid it, or figured out an amazing way to magically extract the bass so well and make it phat. I've tried the 303 route, and playing with it for a couple of hours got me to almost-near bass quality that's in Around The World. But then again, it did say in the liner notes that Thomas played bass.
    Where in the Homework liner notes does it say that?!

Wee Waa
    Random Access Memories - Worldwide Album Launch

6. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by something awesome View Post
    Where in the Homework liner notes does it say that?!
    It was written on a small piece of bread that only came with the first prints of the CD.

7. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Ridley View Post
    Also, I think I just nailed ATW. Just like in thenatbird's example its recreation, original, both.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2094645/Aro...rld%20Bass.mp3
    Pretty close as well!

After all, it's not too far-fetched to say they used a 303 for "Voyager" and "Around the World", considering they also very clearly used 303s in "Da Funk" and "Teachers."

Edit: I took a shot at "Around the World" as well, both of the major bass patterns. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/95294354/aroundtheworld.wav

And while I'm at it, here's "Too Long" too.
    Last edited by thenatbird; 1st Sep 2012 at 21:56.

8. Like something awesome likes this post
  9. Moderator
    Rep:

Who would've thought that a device originally designed to help guitarists practice would end up being so versatile?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Sam_909 View Post
    Champiness

It's a sign.

10. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Champiness View Post
    Who would've thought that a device originally designed to help guitarists practice would end up being so versatile?
    Ironic too. It was meant to help bands replace their bassist or help a guitarist, like you said, when in need of a bassist. But obviously it didn't sound like one. Daft Punk and Guy's magic bread made the 303 sound like what it was intended to do, with the help of their filters and more bread of course.

11. Like Champiness likes this post
  12. Rep:

I've written up a little tutorial on how to get his tone. This method is how I've always heard that people like DP, Alavi and Braxe do it.

Before we start, here's a sound demo of what the patch described below will sound like: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17269775/sc...r_Bassline.wav

You basically want to start with a good sounding synth. You want something that doesn't sound too digital, something that sounds really nice even when it's just a single saw wave with the filter wide open. The free u-he TyrellN6 plugin would be an EXCELLENT choice. Go here to download TyrellN6 (v2): http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2012...6-v2-released/

Now take that synth and activate one oscillator and set its waveform to a Saw wave. Also, make sure that your synth is set to "mono" mode and not "poly" mode (on some synths, it will let you choose then number of voices - you would want 1 voice for mono).

You'll now want to start playing some really low notes, probably lower than you'd think. Assuming your synth or oscillator isn't transposed either up or down, the C1 octave would be a good octave to center your bassline around (so, you're bassline's lowest note might be E0) - though this isn't a rule! It may be beneficial to have a loop of a great bassline playing while your putting this sound together. To serve those purposes, I've uploaded a MIDI of the Voyage bassline. You can grab it here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17269775/voyager_bass.mid

Now, add a low pass filter and set its frequency (aka cutoff setting) at around 900 to 1000hz (on the TyrellN6 plugin, this is equal to a cutoff setting of around 105). Turn the resonance (aka Q) all the way down. As far as what type of Low Pass filter you use, that's really up to you - experiment! I personally prefer a 24db/octave low pass filter for things like this.

The bassline will now probably need a little more punch or bite in the mid range. To get this, add a parametric EQ and set its frequency to about 330hz. Then, with a moderate Q/resonance setting (in Ableton Live's EQ8 device, I'm using a Q of 0.71), add a boost of around 6db.

Now you want to add a bit of distortion or saturation. Don't go too crazy with this - you just want a little bit of a growl. If I was to use Variety of Sound's free TeslaSE saturation plugin (which you can grab here: http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/downloads/ ), then I would leave all of the settings at the default except for "saturate," which I would set at 4.4. For Ableton Live's Saturator device (my personal choice for this), I would leave all the settings at the default except for Drive, which I would set at 10.3 dB.

This sounds pretty good at this point and is definitely usable, though it's not quite right for that Voyager type sound. What it needs is to be filtered out again. So, add another low pass filter after all of the effects we've added already, then set its cutoff point to about 400hz with a moderate resonance/Q level (in Ableton Live's Auto Filter plugin, I have the Q set to 0.94. It has a Q range of 0.20 to 3.00, so, if you don't have Ableton Live, you could set the Q at a little under a third of the way to get a similar sound). If your filter has the option (as Ableton Live's Auto Filter does), it can worthwhile to experiment with the filters envelope, though this isn't necessary to the sound.

To finish off the sound, I add a VERY subtle flanger effect (I have the Dry/Wet setting at 11%) to add some movement, and then a VERY subtle Chorus effect (the Dry/Wet setting at 16%) to add a little stereo width. I then add a little, tiny touch of reverb to give it some space.

This is only a start though. Try experimenting with distortion, drastic or subtle EQing at different stages (EQing before or after filters or other effects can make a huge difference in the sound), bitcrushers, amp simps, phasers, etc...

And one important thing to remember - in the end, it's all about the bassline. If you just play some random notes in a patch like the one described above, it won't sound like a great bassline. You need a great bassline to really get the right sound. Also, a great bassline should sound good on nearly any patch, so don't rely on the patch to cover up a boring bassline!

If you use Ableton Live, you can download a project file I made which contains both a TyrellN6 version and an Operator version of the bass patch described above. Grab it here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17269775/sc...%20Project.zip

Hopefully that helps you guys!

PS: As far as the 303, the sound can definitley be created with one, though it's not really necessary. I have no idea if DP used a 303 for that sound, though I've never heard them say that (I have heard the rumors though).

PSS: Please excuse any typos - I'm too tired to proofread
    Last edited by scutheotaku; 21st Sep 2012 at 07:13.
    Pasta!

13. Like Champiness likes this post
  14. Rep:

Something about the patch described above that's worth noting - changing either of the two filters will DRASTICALLY change the sound. I recommend experimenting with changing the cutoff of the first filter first, as the second filter at its suggested setting does help to round the tone out.

For example, for an Around the World type tone, simply lower the cutoff on the first filter. For an Alavi style tone, raise the cutoff instead.
    Last edited by scutheotaku; 21st Sep 2012 at 07:07.
    Pasta!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast