1. Rep:

Nile Rodgers

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Since Nile Rodgers is (as we all have known for a while) collaborating with Daft Punk, and because he's awesome (best rhythm guitarist ever? Probably!), I figured that it's worth making a thread about his music.

He's probably most famous as the guitarist for Chic, but his body of work outside of Chic is extremely impressive too (especially if you're a fan of 70's and 80's music).

Here are some famous songs that he wrote/co-wrote and played on:

(best bassline ever? Definitely one of the most influential. Bernard Edwards is another great...RIP)

(a lot of people know this song because of the songs that have sampled it, like Luther Vandross' "Shine" [later covered by Booty Luv] and The Black Eyed Peas' "Fashion Beats")

(not a favorite of mine, but worth posting since the famous Modjo track "Lady" is based off of a sample of it)

(lyrics are super cheesy, but who cares? Famously sampled in Will Smith's "Gettin' Jiggy With It")

(sooo good)

(funkiest intro ever...coolest chord progression ever... Famously and expertly sampled in The Notorious B.I.G.'s "Mo Money Mo Problems")

I could go on for hours...and let's not even get started with amazing production credits (everyone from David Bowie, Duran Duran, Madonna, Peter Gabriel and THE B-52's to Jeff Beck, Mick Jagger, the Vaughan Brothers and INXS), or the tracks that he's played on. Oh, and he produced the Halo 2 and Halo 3 soundtracks, as well as produced and wrote the soundtracks for several movies and a few other games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nile_Rodgers
    Pasta!

2. Like Turandot likes this post
  3. Rep:

Re: Nile Rodgers

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww FREEEAAKOUT!

Wee Waa
    Random Access Memories - Worldwide Album Launch

4. Like thenatbird, scutheotaku likes this post
  5. Rep:

I love disco more than Daft Punk, so naturally, Nile ranks very highly with me!
    Thomas Bangalter on EDM - "Maybe it's just one guy called Eric David Morris."
    http://www.facebook.com/davidboin95
    https://soundcloud.com/fundave

6. Like scutheotaku likes this post
  7. Rep:

Amazing artist, great thread. Hopefully his audience will grow after the new Daft album. His collaboration with them certainly opened my eyes to him and his music even though I'd listened to some Chic before.

I just thought I'd mention another sample of the Sister Sledge track, this killer track that I came across recently:

The sample starts at 0:28.

You might have heard of this guy in the lyrics to Teachers...

8. Rep:

I've been a fan of Nile Rodgers' work as a musician and a producer for quite some time, so I'm quite eager to find out what his collaboration with DP will sound like. He's one of those guys whose name you may not have heard but you're almost certainly familiar with his work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridley View Post
    I just thought I'd mention another sample of the Sister Sledge track, this killer track that I came across recently...you might have heard of this guy in the lyrics to Teachers...
    Yes, Robert Hood! He's done some fantastic things as well.

9. Rep:

Chic was huge where I come from. I'm from Detroit, and Chic was very huge in the Motown music movement.

10. Like Champiness likes this post
  11. Rep:

A few more,
    David Bowie - Let's Dance, sampled later by a suddenly buff Craig David in his 'Hot Stuff'

Chic - Chip Off The Old Block, sampled by French House act, Funk Legacy, with Romain Tranchart of Modjo

And of course, everyone's favourite,

12. Rep:

Fonzi Thornton - I Work For A Living (Nile Rodgers Long Version)

13. Rep:

Will Smith also sampled him in this awesome song!

(the sample is Sister Sledge - He's the Greatest Dancer)
    Thomas Bangalter on EDM - "Maybe it's just one guy called Eric David Morris."
    http://www.facebook.com/davidboin95
    https://soundcloud.com/fundave

14. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Fundave View Post

Will Smith also sampled him in this awesome song!

(the sample is Sister Sledge - He's the Greatest Dancer)
    Dude, I like, OMG, totally already mentioned that...like OMG...

But yeah, I love both songs...both a pretty cheesy, but they're both great summer songs (though I have to say that I prefer Gettin' Jiggy Wit It).

If you wanna seem something crazy, go to WhoSampled and look up Nile Rodgers then click on "Tracks that sampled music produced by Nile Rodgers": http://www.whosampled.com/producer-s...ile%20Rodgers/

Yes, it lists over 298 tracks - and that's only the ones that he's produced (so not including the ones that he's only written and/or played on). Nile Rodgers inadvertently became a huge influence on House (particularly the funkier varieties) and hip hop. There used to be a saying that said that if P Diddy/Diddy/Puff Daddy (who produced a lot of the East Coast Rap in the mid-late 90's/early 00's) wanted to make a hit, then he'd just sample Nile Rodgers
    Pasta!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast