1. Default

"Review of Shimmies In Super 8" - Melody Maker, May 1993

Remove this ad: become a supporter

Yep, this is the article that begat them all: the review of Shimmies in Super 8 from the May 1, 1993 issue of Melody Maker. Nearly 20 years ago, Thomas and Guy-Man opened up this magazine in anticipation of reading a review for their first commercial releases as part of the indie rock combo Darlin': "Cindy So Loud" and "Darlin'."

Darlin' was formed in 1992, consisting of Guy-Man (vocals, guitar,) Thomas (bass,) and Laurent (guitar, although some sources say he was the drummer *shrug*.) Thomas once explained how their songs ended up on Shimmies: “When we were about 17 or 18, we made this tape which was a cover of a Beach Boys song. We just recorded it at home with guitars and a drum machine. No melody, just the chords. The band Stereolab were coming to Paris and we really liked them because they had these incredibly cool seven-inch singles. So we gave the tape to a girlfriend of ours who then passed it on to Laetitia from the band. Stereolab put it on a compilation single they made with bands like Huggy Bear, Colm and Stereolab themselves."

Shimmies in Super 8 was released in April 1993 on a dual 7" single format. Around 2,000 copies were printed, each numbered on the back, and perhaps half of those included two paper inserts (courtesy of Guy-Man and a Xerox machine) about Darlin' and Colm, as well as a small Darlin' sticker.

The Melody Maker review of Shimmies was not positive, calling it "indulgent" and branding the Darlin' songs as "daft punk." However, this did little to discourage the fledgling musicians, for Thomas and Guy-Man were already turning away from rock in favor of house and electronic music. Even before the compilation's release they had been attending raves and experimenting with the new genre on their own. Soon Darlin' disbanded and Thomas and Guy-Man reformed as Daft Punk. Although they have said they found the review amusing and adopted the term simply because they couldn't think of a better name in English, there seems no greater triumph than to take a mark of failure and turn it into one of success. What was once a jab thrown out by a journalist in a now-defunct music review magazine is now a name synonymous throughout the world with excellence and innovation.

It was very odd to finally read this review; in fact, I even wondered if I'd found the correct one and if there might be another Darlin' review floating around out there. Instead of the oft quoted "bunch of daft punk," the review actually calls them "daft punky thrash." But it may have just been misquoted all these years, because the term is undeniably present, so I have no doubt that this is the review from which they took their name. It's also pretty hilarious how the last paragraph states that copies of Shimmies "will be making their way into record shops' second-hand racks over the next few weeks." Nowadays you usually can't find it for any less than $100, all thanks to a certain French duo. Isn't it funny how things work out in the end?

Click here -> download article -> soul music, really?
    Last edited by ifcwdjd; 8th Oct 2016 at 12:10.

2. Rep:

Re: "Review of Shimmies In Super 8" - Melody Maker, May 1993

Awesome scan, i finally get to see the original review where the name 'Daft Punk' comes from.
    Thomas Bangalter on EDM - "Maybe it's just one guy called Eric David Morris."
    http://www.facebook.com/davidboin95
    https://soundcloud.com/fundave

3. Super Moderator
    Rep:

thanks for the article! its just funny that now whenever a music reviewer calls something 'daft punky,' its a compliment.
    "I love the sound of my speakers dying for the sake of my music."

4. Rep:

does anyone own a copy? please let me know if you do! as im after one ! x

5. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by speakerface View Post
    does anyone own a copy? please let me know if you do! as im after one ! x
    eBay, it's what's for dinner.

It's the issue with the Ozrics on the cover.

6. Like Champiness likes this post
  7. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by ifcwdjd View Post
    So we gave the tape to a girlfriend of ours who then passed it on to Laetitia from the band. [...] "daft punky thrash."
    So thom and guy had multiple girlfriends haha. And thanks for the 'real' quote. knowing this I'm going to call them 'Daft Punky' from know on

8. Rep:

you seriously are a legend! been after that for years and never new which issue it was! Im thinking you have the biggest collection on here right? ill get pics of my stuff up soon and you can help me maybe work out what im missing(that's still possible to buy) as ive been buying daft stuff since 96 x

9. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by speakerface View Post
    you seriously are a legend! been after that for years and never new which issue it was! Im thinking you have the biggest collection on here right? ill get pics of my stuff up soon and you can help me maybe work out what im missing(that's still possible to buy) as ive been buying daft stuff since 96 x
    I've always wanted to see the original Darlin' review. Someone I know from tumblr said they had it, but couldn't find it. So one day I decided to look for it on my own. I found out that Shimmies was released in April 1993, so I just started buying issues of Melody Maker from around that date. It was a weekly magazine though, so I ended up buying 7 or 8 copies of it before I found the right one. It's amazing what you can find: 20-year-old issues of Melody Maker are surprisingly plentiful.

Yeah, I doubt I have the biggest collection, though I'm probably the only one who has scanned everything they have. But aside from the magazines, I don't collect very much, just not that keen on having so much stuff as most of it just ends up collecting dust. I posted pics of everything Daft-related I have here.

But if you're looking to start collecting stuff, especially magazines, eBay is definitely the way to go. 99% of my magazines came from there, and I also know a few good sites for stuff like vinyl, CDs and DVDs. Other collector's items though, I wouldn't really know, you might want to consult someone like Thomas Bangalter, aka fullmetalanblu, he's got a lot of awesome stuff.

10. Like crozier247, Champiness likes this post
  11. Rep:

Just uploaded a new version of the download file for this article. It now includes the full page of singles reviews, which shows the author and issue date, plus a rescan of the cropped version of the review of Shimmies in Super 8. Download in the original post.

12. Rep:

Is it this one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast