1. Default

Re: Religion/Spirituality

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    I'm a non-denominational Christian. All the different sects have added too many different rules and traditions tacked on that aren't Biblically founded (no offense Catholics, but the Bible says nothing about praying to Mary, praying to saints, and praying people into heaven), so I go sect-free. I believe that as a Christian it is my God-given duty to not try to run other people's lives, or tell people what to do. The New Testament writings don't say anything about judging or condemning the Gentiles, and only gives permission to call out other Christians for their sin. As such, I try to work hard, give freely, and set an example for others in the way I live. As all people do, I oftentimes have a hard time following through on what I say, but I try to live by James 1:19-20. "My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires." I also struggle with optimism and positivity. I have none, and it comes off worst here online. I only find real joy in helping people, so whenever I'm not helping, I get depressed. I guess that's not really related, but it kinda ties in a little I guess? Well that's my faith summed up.

2. Like CherieD'Amoure, DJ_Sam_909, belacmu likes this post
  3. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Boba View Post
    I'm a non-denominational Christian. All the different sects have added too many different rules and traditions tacked on that aren't Biblically founded (no offense Catholics, but the Bible says nothing about praying to Mary, praying to saints, and praying people into heaven), so I go sect-free. I believe that as a Christian it is my God-given duty to not try to run other people's lives, or tell people what to do. The New Testament writings don't say anything about judging or condemning the Gentiles, and only gives permission to call out other Christians for their sin. As such, I try to work hard, give freely, and set an example for others in the way I live. As all people do, I oftentimes have a hard time following through on what I say, but I try to live by James 1:19-20. "My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires."
    Wow, I couldn't have said it any better. I'm in the same boat as this guy.

What people seem to forget, is that Christianity at it's core is about love, and that isn't really how it's portrayed in the world today.

I have fun short mixes that you will probably like right here

4. Like CherieD'Amoure, Boba likes this post
  5. Rep:

Same as most above. raise religiously. read the bible. meh.
    I am now Agnosticish deist. There could be a god. but he's either disinterested in us or an asshole.

6. Like PuddingCat likes this post
  7. Rep:

anyone interested in Eckhart Tolle? only very recently started reading about him and watching his videos. probably the best thing I've ever found for myself personally. really lines up for how I feel and how I can help myself. it was actually the musician most of you will know.. Patrick Alavi.. who pointed me in his direction.

Manager of DAFT LIFE Facebook page/blog.

8. Rep:

I am Agnostic. 'Nuff said.

9. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by DAFTFOEVER View Post
    Flying spaghetti monster

A fellow Pastafarian!

If I were to state my beliefs as simply as possible, I'm a Pan(en)theist with Tao/Bhuddist influences. Again, thats putting it very simply, I'm sure each of us could write a book about our more specific beliefs.

10. Like DAFTFOEVER, HUMAN123 likes this post
  11. Rep:

Is it just me or does everyone suddenly become more interesting when they talk about their beliefs?

Anyway, I'll post what I said in the Get to know everyone thread, it sums up my beliefs quite nicely:

First of all, I don't have a religion. I didn't grow up into a religious family, and I don't have any interest in "finding" religion. When it comes to the afterlife however, I have my own beliefs. I don't know where they came from, I don't even really know why I believe them, but they're there. I think it might have something to do with my fascination in the unexplained (dreams, outer-body experiences, near-death experiences). All of that leads me to believe that spirits exist and I LOVE having that belief because it's the only superstition I possess. I believe that our spirits live on when we die and have the option to live on in peace or live the life of someone different.

The beauty of belief is that it's completely upto you. Nobody can prove it and nobody can disprove it, so it doesn't hurt anyone to believe in whatever it is you believe in.

Soundcloud
    R.I.P Romanthony, we will never forget you

12. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by belacmu View Post
    Wow, I couldn't have said it any better. I'm in the same boat as this guy.

What people seem to forget, is that Christianity at it's core is about love, and that isn't really how it's portrayed in the world today.
    Matthew 22:36-40

“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
    If you truly love, then you indirectly follow all the rules. People say it's a faith of 'don'ts', but it's a faith of a few simple 'dos'.

13. Like CherieD'Amoure likes this post
  14. Rep:

I think anyone saying 'Read the bible, wasn't for me' is going about it the wrong way. It's like saying you bought an flat pack Ikea couch, and tried to sit on the unconstructed pieces, found it was uncomfortable, and didn't bother putting the couch together.

Wee Waa
    Random Access Memories - Worldwide Album Launch

15. Like Boba, belacmu, DPalive likes this post
  16. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by something awesome View Post
    I think anyone saying 'Read the bible, wasn't for me' is going about it the wrong way. It's like saying you bought an flat pack Ikea couch, and tried to sit on the unconstructed pieces, found it was uncomfortable, and didn't bother putting the couch together.
    Not quite. More like buying the Ikea couch, opening it, constructing it, sitting on it, and finding out it's not a comfortable couch, rather than looking at the unopened box and telling everyone how comfortable of a couch it is just because other people say it's a comfortable couch. Put the couch together and form your own opinion of whether or not it's comfortable. Some people might think it's comfortable, some may not.

OK that's enough couch metaphor.

Besides, it most likely wasn't just reading the Bible that convinced all of us that said that. It just played a part in it. Like I said, I did a lot of other reading as well.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast