1. Rep:

Re: Helmet chroming options

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastman View Post
    If everything goes as planned Ill be offering chrome services this year. Hoping to start by August and not charge more than $250 per helmet.
    You are the best! Hahahaha

2. Rep:

I am sending mine off to Coatofchrome this week. They charge $250 and have done lots of DP helmets. coatofchrome.com

3. Rep:

For those that send their masks off to get chromed - does the mask have to be raw/whatever, or will they remove existing paint?

I'm looking at a mask that's already painted, so I didn't know if they'd charge more if they needed to remove existing paint.

4. Rep:

When I was looking into chroming, a couple of the companies said that the price would increase if they had to do any extra prep work, which I assume would include sanding off an old paint job.

In my personal quest to get a chrome paintjob with Alclad II, I've just about managed to get a smooth gloss black undercoat that is getting near to what I want -

There are still a few marks that need looking at, and a couple of tiny pinholes (bubbles I assume, in the resin) - but it's starting to get near to a mirror smoothness ready for the chrome. I will give it a couple more coats of the gloss black, sanding it down with micromesh between each coat, and hopefully I'll be ready to chrome in a few days

5. Rep:

Wow thats a mirror finish black! Are you going with the standard or the chrome for lexan? Also are you gonna put on a clear coat?

6. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by slinkytrips View Post
    Wow thats a mirror finish black! Are you going with the standard or the chrome for lexan? Also are you gonna put on a clear coat?
    I've got the standard chrome, not sure what the difference is with the lexxan type.

I'm still debating a clearcoat - the gloss black itself is pretty much as tough as old boots; no fingerprints, not very easily scratched etc... So if the chrome holds up like that, then I'll probably avoid it.

I will probably chrome up a couple of pieces of scrap too, and try out Alclad's Aqua Clear Gloss, to see how it looks. I wonder if clearcoating it and then buffing up the clearcoat to be shiny might be an option?

I'm getting *seriously* tired of sanding though, so I might try and skip the clear coat if at all possible.

7. Rep:

I found that most of the spray can chromes have issues with clear coats but I know that one designed for lexan bodies doesn't. From what i've read the alclad goes on like a fine mist and it's the gloss black underneath that gives it a shine while the alclad tints the reflection to make it look chrome. Much like a clear yellow on chrome with give it a gold reflection.
    I can't wait to see your results as I want to look into going this route as well.

8. Rep:

Hey,

So here's a very quick update on my Alclad chroming - I sprayed a couple of light coats, and I was pretty impressed with the results:

But I wasn't 100% happy with the finish, so I've stripped some areas back (the main dome of the helmet, which was a little too cloudy / grainy in some parts).

For a first attempt though, it's starting to look pretty good, I think.

I'm experimenting with the clear coat, and I want to try re-spraying the chrome OVER a clear coated chrome, to see how that would look. When I get a few minutes, I'll get round to writing out a proper post about how my build has gone. I've made a few mistakes along the way, so hopefully it might be useful to anyone else who wants to go the Alclad route

9. Like DaTBoYFrOMTeXaS likes this post
  10. Rep:

Looks nice!
    Remember, only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise... and many Bothans died to bring you this post! www.facebook.com/9336industries

11. Rep:

Ooooh, that looks actually really nice Arktic!
    Can I ask how many bottles of chrome paint you needed (one bottle was 30ml right)?
    But I'll defininetly consider using that.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast