1. Rep:

Visor tint - fail

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Well, tonight I learned what not to do with a guy-man visor.
    I used liquid rit, and not only did the visor not take on ANY shade... I warped the piss out of it and now have to get another.

Joy.

2. Rep:

Re: Visor tint - fail

Ouch, How hot did you have your water?

3. Rep:

I've used VHT to paint my guymanuel's visor. It turned out much better then my thomas visor. In guy's visor I can see most of the stuff, but I can't see anyting trough my thomas visor(well I can see but really really poor). I am thinking about buying more PETG and trying to do the film tinting ) I've tried it before but my visor was a tiny bit scratched on the inside so that made the film leave tiny air bubbles

4. Rep:

Water was probably too hot. Make sure you experiment with a scrap piece of PETG first and have a thermometer in that water.

5. Rep:

Well, not entirely... I started out at under 130 degrees, and the plastic was not taking on any tint no matter how long I kept it in the bath. So I slowly increased the temp. The issue was then arose when a spot on the visor became too hot and deformed.... I tried to reform it with absolutely no success. So at that point I wanted to know if I needed the water much hotter (because at this point... The visor is not usable).

Nothing, absolutely no stretch of time nor increase of heat was tinting the visor.

So I literally just burned out a visor, which makes me really sad.

I was really hoping to have a clean tint.

6. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Kolizion View Post
    Well, not entirely... I started out at under 130 degrees, and the plastic was not taking on any tint no matter how long I kept it in the bath. So I slowly increased the temp. The issue was then arose when a spot on the visor became too hot and deformed.... I tried to reform it with absolutely no success. So at that point I wanted to know if I needed the water much hotter (because at this point... The visor is not usable).

Nothing, absolutely no stretch of time nor increase of heat was tinting the visor.

So I literally just burned out a visor, which makes me really sad.

I was really hoping to have a clean tint.
    What thickness PETG are you using? Did you leave the visor in the water while warming it up?

7. Rep:

I think the issue was the thinkness of the PETG.

Sorry to hear that happened man. Now that means the second one will be even bettter!

If your going to light up your Guy man, DO NOT use VHS Niteshades. It's a thinly pigmented spray paint and up close you will see the uneven distribution. I have used both VHT and the powder RIT dye. There are pics on my build thread for reference.
    Remember, only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise... and many Bothans died to bring you this post! www.facebook.com/9336industries

8. Rep:

I'm still busy with my electronics so I haven't made my pre tinted visors yet so I can't offer any experience yet with that but it's something to look into. I noticed that the latest flyer from my plastics they are talking about greater chemical resistance in some of the new Primex pteg plastics. You may find that because of the design of the pteg it is very hard to dye it. I'm looking at a bronze tinted acrylic for my visors same as what Daft Punk used on the originals.

9. Rep:

If I knew where to get some sheets, or some play around visors... I would test a theory of using PPG Candy black / root beer. PPG candies are actually dye, and I would be very curious to know if the chemicals in the paint would warp the plastic, or be perfect for a clean tint.

Im just sad right now because I want to work on the helmet.... But I'm at a standstill until a new visor comes my way.

10. Rep:

Well most plastic blister packs are just pteg if you want a scrap piece to test on. If you can find out who made the pteg you can find the spec sheets on it and it will give all the details on softening heat and appropriate glues to use etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast