Tags:
necklace,
pyramid,
wip
  1. Rep:

Daft Punk Necklace

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    After seeing the new Daft Punk video with Pharrell and then the Rock&Folk magazine interview, I noticed how cool the necklaces they were wearing are.

In a bit of boredom I started to make a replica of it. I made up some dimensions and hoped that they made sense. Each side of the main triangle is 40mm. It is 7.5 mm high. I just eyeballed the details that represent the helmets.

After this I plan to fill the gaps between the pieces of plastic with body filler. Does anyone have a suggestion for something else I could use?

'Where do they go from here you think?'
    'Up.'

2. Like DAFTFOEVER, squidgyboy, M3311 likes this post
  3. Mod - AND ALL THAT JAZZ.
    Rep:

Re: Daft Punk Necklace

That is so cool.

4. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by M3311 View Post
    That is so cool.
    Thanks! But, where did your magical blue text go?

'Up.'

5. Rep:

Thomas

Together

'Up.'

6. mama p -- admin
    Rep:

i would personally use sheets of metal (the kind appropriate for jewelry making) and solder them together, but that's probably because i had jewelry making experience. though saying that is kind of pointless because i don't own or have access to any of the important tools/supplies, like an acetone torch. (hell, i don't even have access to the tools i do own! :P )

the black is probably... hm, i forgot what it was called actually, but a chemical coating that reacts with certain metals and turns them black. but i would expect that any place where the black is also has an indent.
    ~僕は素晴らしいロボット~

11.11.2006・ALIVE・2007.08.09
    last.fm||tumblr

7. Like Adrifto likes this post
  8. Rep:

The indent is why I have two layers of plastic.

I understand what you're saying but metal is a bit out of range for me. I just made this to have a bit of a mess around and kill time during holidays but you do have a good idea. I have done some metalwork before as well and I think the process you are talking about is anodizing.

Thanks for the feedback!

'Up.'

9. mama p -- admin
    Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Adrifto View Post
    The indent is why I have two layers of plastic.

I understand what you're saying but metal is a bit out of range for me. I just made this to have a bit of a mess around and kill time during holidays but you do have a good idea. I have done some metalwork before as well and I think the process you are talking about is anodizing.

Thanks for the feedback!
    the process i'm talking about is different from anodizing and is much simpler. it literally is a chemical reaction that spontaneously occurs/doesn't need the electric current that anodizing requires.

iirc the one i actually used only would work with silver, but i believe there are other formulations that can work with other metals. the surface changes to black after the liquid is painted on, and basically you polish the higher planes and the black detail remains in the indented areas.

edit: while precious metals can be expensive, there are ways to get them cheaper. when i used copper plates both in jewelry making and in printmaking, we actually used roofing copper, which is really affordable. even sterling silver can be reasonably priced if you know the right places to get it, though.
    ~僕は素晴らしいロボット~

last.fm||tumblr

10. Like Adrifto likes this post
  11. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by piroteki View Post
    the process i'm talking about is different from anodizing and is much simpler. it literally is a chemical reaction that spontaneously occurs/doesn't need the electric current that anodizing requires.

iirc the one i actually used only would work with silver, but i believe there are other formulations that can work with other metals. the surface changes to black after the liquid is painted on, and basically you polish the higher planes and the black detail remains in the indented areas.

edit: while precious metals can be expensive, there are ways to get them cheaper. when i used copper plates both in jewelry making and in printmaking, we actually used roofing copper, which is really affordable. even sterling silver can be reasonably priced if you know the right places to get it, though.
    Ah, so it's more of a physical/chemical change rather than a coating. Thanks for all this info, really helpful and will come in handy if I decide to make this out of metal.

'Up.'

12. mama p -- admin
    Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Adrifto View Post
    Ah, so it's more of a physical/chemical change rather than a coating. Thanks for all this info, really helpful and will come in handy if I decide to make this out of metal.
    yep.

you're not American, so you may or may not get the reference, but if you have or have seen a high school class ring, many of those have black detailing in the crevasses on the designs of the ring. this black detailing is pretty much what i'm talking about.

actually, here, this is a photo of a ring i actually made, using this black stuff. you can see that i applied it to the tree and then polished it off of the raised surface, but didn't apply it to the Daft Punk Alive latticework on the sides.
    ~僕は素晴らしいロボット~

last.fm||tumblr

13. Like Adrifto likes this post
  14. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by piroteki View Post
    yep.

you're not American, so you may or may not get the reference, but if you have or have seen a high school class ring, many of those have black detailing in the crevasses on the designs of the ring. this black detailing is pretty much what i'm talking about.

actually, here, this is a photo of a ring i actually made, using this black stuff. you can see that i applied it to the tree and then polished it off of the raised surface, but didn't apply it to the Daft Punk Alive latticework on the sides.
    Yeah not quite sure whatcha mean by that but WOW that ring is intricate. Kinda looks like a happy accident by dropping it but it works really well. Also the subtle alive signs are awesome.

'Up.'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast