1. Rep:

GQ May 2013: "Daft Punk is (Finally!) Playing at Our House

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Since I have no scanner and a decent keyboard, here's the article typed out for you beautiful people. Here's most of the first page.

They are rusty at being Daft Punk. They've been gone for a long time. Since their last proper studio release, 2005's Human After All, they've done just a handful of interviews - three, maybe four, tops - and they're badly out of practice. They're still answering questions like Thomas Bangalter and Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo, instead of like Daft Punk, which is a problem, because they'd prefer that you not think of them as people at all.
    That’s partly what the robot helmets are for. It’s why you never see their faces.
    “I remember when I was a kid, I would watch Superman, and I was super into the feeling of knowing that Clark Kent is Superman and no one knows.” Bangalter says. “We always thought as we were shaping this thing that the fantasy was actually so much more exciting than the idea of being the most famous person in the world.”

It’s a Saturday afternoon in Los Angeles, and the two men are seated, sans disguises, outside at a cafe on La Brea. They’re talking about their kids (two each), the vagaries of the California wildlife that haunt Bangalter’s house up in the hills (deer and coyotes, mostly, though recently he lost a night of sleep to the hooting of what he’s pretty sure was an owl) and a bunch of other things they’d really rather not discuss - a bunch of things they will later try to take back - because finally, after eight years, there is a new Daft Punk record.
    It’s called Random Access Memories - they whisper, because it’s February and no one else knows this yet, and because with Daft Punk nearly everything is a secret. The record is only Daft Punk’s fourth in sixteen years, not counting the soundtrack work they did on Disney’s 2010 sequel to Tron, and the first that the two men, who recorded their first three albums at home (two in Bangalter’s bedroom, one in his living room), have made in a proper studio. It’s a big and lush and opulent ’70’s disco record, glamorous in places and almost mournful in others, like something a heartbroken vacuum cleaner might drive around to at night in Detroit. It’s got choirs and flutes and some of the same guys who played on Thriller and Off the Wall, and Panda Bear from Animal Collective, and Nile Rodgers from Chic, and a gang of other collaborators - Italian disco god Giorgio Moroder, “Rainbow Connection” guy Paul Williams, pianist Chilly Gonzales, house titan Todd Edwards, the Strokes’s Julian Casablancas, Pharrell Williams singing about sex and ancient Greek mythology. It sounds like it cost about a million dollars to make, if not more, an estimate they don’t deny but also won’t confirm.
    More to the point, Random Access Memories is a calculated departure from past Daft Punk records, even for Daft Punk, a band that, over the course of its lengthy reign as the most well-known and critically acclaimed dance-music act on the planet, has made a point of never making the same record twice. Only a handful of people have heard the album so far, but the two men already seemed resigned to the possibility that no one will like it.
    “In Scream 2, they have this discussion about how sequels always suck,” Bangalter says. In this scheme, Random Access Memories might as well be Scream 4. “The thing that we ask ourselves at some point is like: We’re making music for twenty years. How many bands and acts do you have that are still making good music after twenty years? It always sucks - almost always, you know?”
    And de Homem-Christo, who has said maybe a few dozen words up to this point, most of them about salad and directed at our waitress, peers over the golden top edge of his sunglasses and says: “So our new album is supposed to really suck.”

[More to come; my arm is bothering me. ]
    Musical Mod
    "No art is so subject to indiscriminate judgement as music." - Johann Joachim Quantz

2. Rep:

Re: GQ May 2013: "Daft Punk is (Finally!) Playing at Our House

And de Homem-Christo, who has said maybe a few dozen words up to this point, most of them about salad and directed at our waitress, peers over the golden top edge of his sunglasses and says: “So our new album is supposed to really suck.”
    lmao. Man of few words, king of one-liners.

Awesome, repped

3. Rep:

so this confirms GM has children?

4. Like DAFTFOEVER, HUMAN123 likes this post
  5. Rep:

...Pharrell Williams singing about sex and ancient Greek mythology.
    is it about Get Lucky?

6. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by On The Fly View Post
    is it about Get Lucky?
    Yeah, "legend of the Phoenix" is the Greek mythos stuff.

7. Like Champiness likes this post
  8. Rep:

First they said its their best album, yet. Now they say it sucks... Wat.

9. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Boob Ross View Post
    I think they changed their minds in 2 months
    It’s called Random Access Memories - they whisper, because it’s February and no one else knows this yet
    Last edited by On The Fly; 21st Apr 2013 at 01:17. Reason: GЯAMMAR

10. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Boob Ross View Post
    (pssst. They were telling a funny joke)

11. Like HUMAN123 likes this post
  12. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by JSnake View Post
    (pssst. They were telling a funny joke)
    French accent sarcasm in text form is hard to get man haha

13. Like Champiness likes this post
  14. Rep:

Posting scans here to avoid a doubled thread about the same topic. I'd still like a transcript cuz it'll be easier to quote and copypaste text tho.

Last edited by JH Sounds; 21st Apr 2013 at 01:27.

find me on Facebook - Twitter - YouTube - Google+
    support me on Patreon

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast