1. Default

Firewire V1 Build Thread

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Hey guys, so whilst i havent made much headway i didnt wanna make a post showing off the start of my build, so far i've finally got my firewire case so here it is

Happy it finally came! and i've had all the electronics for a while, i'm tryna copy tekparasites guide but theres gotta be a simpler way so if anyone has any advice lemme know as i'm not so great with electronics!

2. Rep:

Re: Firewire V1 Build Thread

Can you show us what electronics you have?

3. Rep:

Just missing resistors and stuff but i'm totally new to this it's completely foreign, and i have the plastic

4. Rep:

If you haven't already read up on Teks post here

http://www.therpf.com/f9/daft-punk-t...50/index2.html

first thing is to download his code (link in that post) and upload it to your arduino. Connect the arduino to the led display using this guide.

With the arduino still plugged in to USB it should have power and light up.

The next step is basically replacing the LEDs on the board with wires out to your LEDs.

5. Like TK-9336 likes this post
  6. Rep:

Yea very helpful guide, got great stuff from there!

I'm sending it off to be chromed very soon, i just need a damn Dremel!

7. Rep:

Just realised i dont know anyone who owns a dremel.

Welp, nuts... I may have to go out and buy one, and wait for it to ship and ergh. TIEM!

Question, would this work? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CORDLESS-D...item5898864cc8
    Last edited by mxoagentjohnson; 3rd Jul 2013 at 01:49.

8. Rep:

Updating this post after ages.

Finally sending it off to the chromers tomorrow, sanded and filled all the bits smooth, just gonna ask now.

How tilted does Thomas wear his helmet, i havent got any padding in yet but when i wear it straight i dont think it looks accurate, if i tilt it down drastically i cant see through the visor unless i pad the top inside and have it higher, but then i worry my chin will stick out/bottom of my ears, once i tilt it when its up it's fine but here is a reference picture of the 3 different ways i wear it.

Angle 1 is tilted but i can still see-ish, angle 2 is straight, angle 3 is tilted but i cant see, angle 4 is lifted and tilted where i can see.

I like 4 best but whats most accurate?

9. Rep:

I've been trying to get it 100% smooth all around but it just seems impossible, at the top where the back and forward parts connect it just wont seem to sand down to an even way, no matter what i do or try. I'll end up sanding a hole in it before it becomes 100% smooth.

Where the back and forward connect theres the obvious line that goes with the design of the helmet, but then theres this odd bump at the front of it that elevates it all.

Maybe i'm worrying, a few more sanding jobs tomorrow and off to the chromers. The only people in the uk who do it dont really seem to be very quick to answer with emails (I say that, they dont answer their emails, and how are they going to know it's mine they get? i'm gonna leave a note inside with my email and number i dont even know how they accept payment)

I hope it goes swimmingly and the finish is nice, i've got until the 22nd to get it back so i hope they dont take too long, Zumkid said he had a bad experience with them but i'm within driving distance if they start to mess me around.

I've actually not done that much sanding apart from that, i wet sanded the front mouth off and that's barely visible now, i think once they use their primer and chrome spray that'll be gone, it's just the top driving me nuts and it's hard to take a picture of to show you what i mean without running your hand across it, i feel it'd ruin the shiny smooth feel of the chrome by distorting it way too much.

Then again, this is my first experience doing any of this kinda work so i guess worrying is to be expected.

10. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by mxoagentjohnson View Post
    Just realised i dont know anyone who owns a dremel.

Welp, nuts... I may have to go out and buy one, and wait for it to ship and ergh. TIEM!

Question, would this work? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CORDLESS-D...item5898864cc8
    I bought a cheap nasty one from my local hardware store, they are meant to be used on metal so a cheap one works fine on plastic. This is the one i got and I bought a kit with it which had a diamond bit.

11. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by mxoagentjohnson View Post
    I've been trying to get it 100% smooth all around but it just seems impossible, at the top where the back and forward parts connect it just wont seem to sand down to an even way, no matter what i do or try. I'll end up sanding a hole in it before it becomes 100% smooth.
    I bought the V2 Firewire and it had that second line bump. I managed to make it smooth with wet and dry 800 sand paper, finished off with 1200. I accidentally made a dip at the top because I wanted to keep the designed line, kept sanding until it was circular again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast