View Poll Results: What do you think about the rep system?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's great. Never had any problems; doesn't need to be changed.

5 13.51%
  • I've had some problems with it, but I still think it's fine.

8 21.62%
  • It should be changed. Comments shouldn't be anonymous.

6 16.22%
  • It should be changed. Get rid of the downrepping option.

7 18.92%
  • I don't like it. It should be scrapped entirely. "Like" system only!

4 10.81%
  • I don't like it. The rep system and the "Like" system should both be scrapped.

1 2.70%
  • I really don't care.

12 32.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
  1. mama p -- admin
    Rep:

[Discussion] Reputation System

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    things seem to have cooled down a bit, but the team decided it would be a good idea to have a sort of Official Public Discussion about the reputation system because downrepping has been commented on more often recently.

first of all, we'd like to remind users that reputation comments are still subject to the Terms and Conditions, and as such, your contributions are expected to remain thoughtful and constructive. abusive/rude/offensive comments are subject to disciplinary penalty, and moderaters can (and have) issued infractions due to such comments because it's an abuse of the system.

moving on, we'd like to invite you all to a discussion on the system. please tell us what you think about it--strengths, weaknesses--whether you think it should be changed and in what way. we can't, of course guarantee that ideas brought up here *will* happen, but we'll certainly consider them.

[/official intro]
    =======================
    [begin personal opinions]
    personally, i like the rep system. i will agree that it has gotten a bit out of hand recently in some cases, but as a whole, since it's inception, the rep system--like many other things here--has been amazingly friendly and civil compared to other places on the internet. (just that tdc magic, you know?)

while no one likes getting downrepped--believe us, mods are not immune from it--i appreciate downreps as sort of peer pressure encouraging other users to shape up if they're crossing some lines or not behaving appropriately (but the incident is not relevant to or serious enough to warrant an official warning or infraction).

i also think that it's a way that the non-mod users can have some say as well. gives you some agency in nudging people in the right direction--as well as rewarding them for things done right. it helps give a relatively good portrait of which users generally make outstanding contributions and those whose comments may need to be taken with a grain of salt. kind of in a "for users, by users" sort of way.

of course uprepping is a generally good thing, and it's a nice way to reward users for making particularly good contributions. personally i view it as a step up from the standard (and, be honest, somewhat lazy) "Like" feature. (not tryin' to badmouth the Like feature tho! it definitely has it's place.) we've had issues in the past of people abusing the uprepping as well, but that was taken care of and is no longer a problem.

from the time the rep system was implemented, we have never had so many issues with it until recently. i honestly think this recent flare-up in mean-spirited down-repping and complaints is almost entirely related to the anticipation and release of RAM. emotions were high and very polarizing so disagreements were inevitable. unfortunately some people went a bit too far with how they expressed their views and we ran into problems. i think now that RAM-related emotions have leveled off a bit, we're not seeing this kind of malicious downrepping as often, and i have no doubt that it will continue to level off until it's at its near-inexistant like it has been.

that's not to say that downrepping won't ever happen. it will, but unless it's completely unwarranted and agressively offensive (please report those messages!!), we kind of expect you to realize that everyone gets downrepped, and suck it up and be an adult. not everyone will like you all of the time, unfortunately. but if you have problems of constant over-the-line downrep comments, by all means get in touch with a team member and we'll sort it out for you. that's much more effective than complaining about being downrepped in threads where it's not relevant to the main topic of discussion.

[/end personal opinions]
    =======================

tl;dr tell us what you think about the rep system. or vote in the above poll if you're lazy.
    Last edited by piroteki; 26th Sep 2013 at 15:12.
    ~僕は素晴らしいロボット~

11.11.2006・ALIVE・2007.08.09
    last.fm||tumblr

2. Rep:

Re: [Discussion] Reputation System

I'm between ''leaving it the way it is'' and ''downreps ain't anonymous no more''. I think downreps are good in a way because you are confronted with offending posts. Sometimes I see I was downrepped and I read back what I wrote and I'm like ''oh yeah, that could easilly be interpreted in a bad way''.

3. Like Ice Cream Kid, piroteki, DJ_Sam_909 likes this post
  4. awe$▲m
    Rep:

I have no problem with it, except people saying "WHY WAS I DOWNREPPED?!" and some other member upreps them out of pitty. Nonono. Stop that.

5. Like M3311, Fundave, M24 likes this post
  6. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by spamwichx View Post
    I have no problem with it, except people saying "WHY WAS I DOWNREPPED?!" and some other member upreps them out of pitty. Nonono. Stop that.
    Agreed. No one likes getting down repped, but threads (especially bigger threads) get really cluttered when people complain about it. Keep it as is imo, it is a good way to show people that their posts are abusive/out of context/could be worded better. It's also a good way to show your support to a post that was especially helpful/informative.

7. Rep:

Get rid of downreps, people can't seem to handle the butthurt
    Thomas Bangalter on EDM - "Maybe it's just one guy called Eric David Morris."
    http://www.facebook.com/davidboin95
    https://soundcloud.com/fundave

8. Like HUMAN123, DoubleDaft likes this post
  9. Rep:

I think the whole "Like" system is cool but I honestly wouldn't care if it stayed or not.

10. mama p -- admin
    Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by DaTBoYFrOMTeXaS View Post
    I think the whole "Like" system is cool but I honestly wouldn't care if it stayed or not.
    just clarifying that the rep system and the Like system--while similar--are different and separate.

thanks for the feedback tho!
    ~僕は素晴らしいロボット~

11.11.2006・ALIVE・2007.08.09
    last.fm||tumblr

11. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Fundave View Post
    Get rid of downreps, people can't seem to handle the butthurt
    Agreed. If you like someone and his comments; rep-up. And if not; leave it that way.

''Bonjour I am in a Formula 1 car.''
    - Thomas
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cream Kid View Post
    Yeah, yeah, pics or it...it.....it happened and you just never posted pics....
    Quote Originally Posted by Camerabob1 View Post
    Did you know... "what?"
    That I can go to Japan. And back.

12. Like Ice Cream Kid likes this post
  13. Rep:

I really don't care

Quote Originally Posted by churro View Post
    guys zeememba to pwezz ze play buttone on ableton for ze show to start.

14. Rep:

Did my feedback have anything to do with this? My thoughts on it are clear. Scrap the rep and only keep the "like" system.

Up-rep'ing and likes overlap. What's the point?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast