1. Rep:

Ebay jackets worth it?

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Hey guys. Final question before I pull the trigger on this costume. Are the leather HAA (I believe they're HAA, could be wrong) jackets on ebay worth the $120-$200 price? Has anyone ordered these and been please? I've seen some guys talk about getting seamstresses to make them but I have yet to find a local seamstress who is even interested.

Thanks for any help

2. Rep:

Re: Ebay jackets worth it?

link of the add?

3. Rep:

Is it the one from marching_antz?

4. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Daft Minion 909 View Post
    link of the add?
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/141074439929?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1
    And
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/290967013940?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

Quote Originally Posted by DaTBoYFrOMTeXaS View Post
    Is it the one from marching_antz?
    Yeah and indiantannery (see link above)

In the Star Wars costuming world I know we like to stay away from ebay due to lack of accuracy and overprice items. However, I can't find another source on these without spending double the ebay prices. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by WBE; 3rd Oct 2013 at 01:19.

5. Rep:

Those aren't fitted, and the ribbed panels are flat. I would try going to a motorcycle shop, not the big name companies...local ones. I am not happy with my jacket totally, and probably gonna sell it for about $800. I am getting a new one made because I'm OCD.

If you want a legit one, it's gonna cost you dude. Unfortunately...there's no way around it. I've been trying for 2 years.
    Remember, only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise... and many Bothans died to bring you this post! www.facebook.com/9336industries

6. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by TK-9336 View Post
    Those aren't fitted, and the ribbed panels are flat. I would try going to a motorcycle shop, not the big name companies...local ones. I am not happy with my jacket totally, and probably gonna sell it for about $800. I am getting a new one made because I'm OCD.

If you want a legit one, it's gonna cost you dude. Unfortunately...there's no way around it. I've been trying for 2 years.
    I know they're not 100% accurate (compared it to reference images) but since this costume will only be worn a couple times a year I was hoping to avoid dropping another grand on just the jacket. Still recovering from a $5,000 Fett.

In your opinion, do you think $200 is worth those specific jackets?

7. Rep:

This project has been, like one of my life long aims to get perfect. To me, I won't be happy until it's perfect.

For something that will worn a few times a year? Yeah. Are you dropping a ton on the helmet with regards to chrome, and lights? I would say not to skimp on getting a legit one if your paying a bunch on the rest of the project. Daft, when done well...isn't certainly price friendly. Over the course my project I have close to 2k invested in just the leathers. That doesn't include my helmets, custom shoes, gloves, RAM tuxes, lights...time. lol.

GSTQF leathers run 8k. I convinced myself that it doesn't cost that much, and could be done more smartly with regards to overhead.

If it's just a jacket and you have no plans for pants, then yeah...get it.
    Remember, only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise... and many Bothans died to bring you this post! www.facebook.com/9336industries

8. Rep:

This project has been, like one of my life long aims to get perfect. To me, I won't be happy until it's perfect.

For something that will worn a few times a year? Yeah. Are you dropping a ton on the helmet with regards to chrome, and lights? I would say not to skimp on getting a legit one if your paying a bunch on the rest of the project. Daft, when done well...isn't certainly price friendly. Over the course my project I have close to 2k invested in just the leathers. That doesn't include my helmets, custom shoes, gloves, RAM tuxes, lights...time. lol.

GSTQF leathers run 8k. I convinced myself that it doesn't cost that much, and could be done more smartly with regards to overhead.

If it's just a jacket and you have no plans for pants, then yeah...get it.
    I feel you on that one, man. That's how Fett was for me. I didn't cut a single corner and wanted to nail every detail with every found item and original piece I could get my hands on.

That is why I'm trying to cut corners with this one. I would love to upgrade to a legit one down the road but I was aiming to have this whole costume done in 6 months time so there's where you can see my dilemma. Maybe I'll upgrade after the con in March.

I plan on getting a Volpin bucket, chromed by CoC or CnC (idk which one is preferred), and a DIY LED kit from Sandisk.

I haven't even started researching the pants. I have no idea what to do for that. I saw the shoes in your thread so I plan on going that route for them.

And to think that I told myself "once Fett is finished, no more expensive costumes until late next year for celebration anaheim".... see how long that lasted lol.

9. Rep:

I could have 6 RS TK suits for what I put into Daft to date. It's a labor of love at this point. Jabbars are VERY hard to find, I just found an original pair after searching for so many years now...and unfortunately I can't negotiate price...first pair I've found, ever!

My old pair will go for sale, but they won't fit you. Sometimes you luck out finding Jabbars in a large size more often than like, my size (9.5). Now Adidas released Hook Shot II which are basically Jabbars without his face on them. Conversion still entirely plausible.

Go to CoC. Volpin's is nice, I think I already recommended it to you. Visor is easy, just buy some PETG off eBay. SD's arrays are nice I have one...but I am going to sell it. I want to do it myself and run a wifi like Harrison does to run my own programs.

Here's what I meant to say about the leathers. If you plan to get pants as well, it's easier to just have the entire thing done at once if your looking to get a 100% look. Then again people who notice the differences primarily just exist on this forum. Just like at a troop, John Q Public won't know two differences between a Rubies TK and a RS one. Same thing applies here.

On the budget, get that jacket, and just normal leather pants from a motorcycle store.

Personally, after coming from a background of Civil War reenacting, the TK, and Daft...I'd rather just spend more the first time and get it right...then have to go back and eventually get new stuff, or re-do it.

I have feeling that jacket and generic leather pants will work well enough for ya. John Q Public won't know when your out decked out. To them, it's just Daft Punk, more often...look at that robot space guy!

10. Rep:

I could have 6 RS TK suits for what I put into Daft to date. It's a labor of love at this point. Jabbars are VERY hard to find, I just found an original pair after searching for so many years now...and unfortunately I can't negotiate price...first pair I've found, ever!

My old pair will go for sale, but they won't fit you. Sometimes you luck out finding Jabbars in a large size more often than like, my size (9.5). Now Adidas released Hook Shot II which are basically Jabbars without his face on them. Conversion still entirely plausible.

Go to CoC. Volpin's is nice, I think I already recommended it to you. Visor is easy, just buy some PETG off eBay. SD's arrays are nice I have one...but I am going to sell it. I want to do it myself and run a wifi like Harrison does to run my own programs.

Here's what I meant to say about the leathers. If you plan to get pants as well, it's easier to just have the entire thing done at once if your looking to get a 100% look. Then again people who notice the differences primarily just exist on this forum. Just like at a troop, John Q Public won't know two differences between a Rubies TK and a RS one. Same thing applies here.

On the budget, get that jacket, and just normal leather pants from a motorcycle store.

Personally, after coming from a background of Civil War reenacting, the TK, and Daft...I'd rather just spend more the first time and get it right...then have to go back and eventually get new stuff, or re-do it.

I have feeling that jacket and generic leather pants will work well enough for ya. John Q Public won't know when your out decked out. To them, it's just Daft Punk, more often...look at that robot space guy!
    Thank you for all the thorough information. Glad I found a Legion brother who has already gone down this path before me.

I'm going to shoot you a PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast