1. Rep:

Guy Manuel HAA Helmet Build

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Hey yall. Been a while since I made a thread on here, but since I just started a new DP build I thought it would be the right time.

I'm making a Guy Helmet, which, as usual started as a Pepakura model that my friend Cameron Holliman modelled a few months back.

This model is GLORIOUS. If you wanna build a GM helmet, start with this model. There are lots of pieces, but it makes for less work in the Bondo/sculpting stage.

When the model was finished, I spread a very thin layer of hot glue over the inside to ensure the model kept its shape until resin. I also added chopstick bracers....because, for some reason, all GM helmet models I have built have a tendency to slim towards the back of the helmet.

Next up, resin. I use the typical 3M brand Fibreglass resin you can buy at Walmart and the like. It does the job, but holy hell it smells like death. Wear a respirator!

I spread 4 coats in total on the helmet. ( 2 on the inside, 2 on the outside )

Here's a little reference just to show how accurate the model is compared to the Human After All / Electroma hero helmet.

^However, there are a few small areas in which I will be making adjustments later on down the road. The back bar needs to stick out a small bit and some edges have to be rounded out slightly.

More resin.

Once the model was resined, I coated 5-7 layers of Smoothcast 300 into the helmet, making it incredibly robust.

At this point in time, the helmet weighed about 6 pounds....and that's without the Bondo. This is WAY too heavy for a wearable helmet. If all goes well, I will probably end up molding this helmet and producing lightweight resin copies.

Speaking of Bondo..........!!!!!!!!!!

And that's where I am with my build. I'll be in Florida for the next 3 weeks trying to escape the cold Canadian weather, but when I get back I will be right back to work on this helmet.

Thanks for reading, boys and girls!
    For the latest updates on my props, visit my Page on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/L.E.Props

2. Like loud pipes, TK-9336 likes this post
  3. Rep:

Re: Guy Manuel HAA Helmet Build

Not much progress, but i got some sanding/shaping done despite the fact that I'm currently in the middle of a blizzard.

At this point in the build, I'm trying to determine if I should use the "ears" that are built into the helmet or cut them out and replace them with MDF/3D printed pieces. I'm leaning towards the ladder, but I'll make a judgement when the sculpt is further along.

More to come, as always.

4. Rep:

that looks great im doing the same version i am at about the same place you in the build and it is about to blizzard here to so i am trying to prep my deck for bondoing lol keep it up tho

5. Rep:

One of the more glaring issues on the file that myself and many others were noting is that the rear hoop didn't stick out far enough.

After looking at some reference images, I decided that the extension needed to be about a quarter of an inch. This 1/4 piece of MDF acted as a riser.

A piece of .30 styrene was superglued to the riser and then hot glued to the "edges" of the hoop.

Since the styrene is flimsy and unable to attain its shape, the void made by the styrene was filled with Bondo and sanded to match the pre-existing edges.

Mission accomplished! Much better now. It still needs some cleanup (obviously) but at least the overall shape is much more accurate now.

More to come.

6. Like PedroAloha, TK-9336 likes this post
  7. Rep:

Test fit!

Looks good to me! Next stop....more Bondo.

8. Rep:

It's a minor thing but the point where the back arch of the chassis meets the top bar should be the same height as where the front arch meets the top bar when the helmet is laid flat. It's not you it's the pep model. Just something i noticed if you're gonna go as accurate as possibel

9. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by PedroAloha View Post
    It's a minor thing but the point where the back arch of the chassis meets the top bar should be the same height as where the front arch meets the top bar when the helmet is laid flat. It's not you it's the pep model. Just something i noticed if you're gonna go as accurate as possibel
    Okay, I think I know what you're saying...and you're right. I hadn't noticed that. Looks like I got some changes to make!

10. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Crank729 View Post
    Okay, I think I know what you're saying...and you're right. I hadn't noticed that. Looks like I got some changes to make!
    I tried to think of a better way to say all that I hope it made some sense. Maybe we need an anatomy of a Guy Man helmet, give all the different parts names so we can talk about stuff without having to look for ref pics

11. Like TK-9336 likes this post
  12. Rep:

I wish there was more to show, but it's been -30*c ( you read that right ) here in southern Alberta all week. Even with both of the heaters in my shop running, it's not suitable for any kind of prop work.

It's supposed to warm up this week, though....fingers crossed that it does. I wanna get back to building!

13. Like Will_I_Am_1997 likes this post
  14. Rep:

Finally got some primer on the visor. Lots of little pinholes to fix up.

15. Like Agent RayBans, JackScoby, TK-9336 likes this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast