1. Rep:
    Thumbs up

French interview 29 Jan 2014

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij41uv7k4tE I just found this interview. Any french guy could translate it please? or at least some important sentences coz I bet there were questions and answers about possible remix album, tour etc.

2. Like DAFTFOEVER, Fundave likes this post
  3. Rep:

Re: 4-5th Album Shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by unknown dp fan View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij41uv7k4tE I just found this interview. Any french guy could translate it please? or at least some important sentences coz I bet there were questions and answers about possible remix album, tour etc.
    The vid begins mid-convo, talking about becoming friends through an interest in music and movies. Thomas: When we started Darlin’ it was in the hopes of meeting ladies. But we did two shows, and it didn’t really work.
    Asked about the origins of Darlin' : We were three, with Laurent from Pheonix, but what's funny is that we met at the beginning of the 1987 school year but only started making music 4 or 5 years later. So we’d go to concerts, to art expos [...] and we only started making music 4 or 5 years later. So our story wasn’t really centered around the idea of creating a group.
    Host: twitter #daftpunksurskyrock When asked about why they began wearing the helmets: "It’s for a variety of reasons, maybe a bit as an “acte militant” to go against the norm, and also that we came from the world of dreams and anonymity, and it also came from the desire to be able to have a normal everyday life. And then after awhile, when we began creating these robot personalities, it was both entertainment, and also giving us a chance to keep both feet on the ground and to lead a normal life. 4:00 brief question about Grand Prix at Monaco. Thomas answers that they enjoyed it.
    4:10: Host: no regrets about not having groupies banging on your door? Thomas: no no, our lives, we can take the example of superheroes; you have Clark Kent and you have Superman, and it's great to be able to play with these characters and alter-egos, it's like a child's dream, and then to be able to leave and go home and...Host: do you have names for your superheroes? do the robots have names? Thomas [4:50] : "euuuh...haha they don't have names, they have code names now, technical names actually, which are TB3...uh TB03 and GM8. Host: Is this an exclusive? Thomas: no, you can see it in the album booklet. And we let people guess who is who" 5:50-7: talks about the helmets.
    at 14:20, asked about french music they’ve listened to lately. Guy-Man answers: “In the past few years, we’ve listened to a lot of music, french and others, and we’ve heard many good artists, but we can’t recall having been struck by a particular artist, group or album. I've heard great singles, but for an artist to be consistently great, it's rare. And it's not my speciality to recognize it. ”
    15:10: Thomas talks about working with Kanye West, and about working on music.
    at 20:00, asked about reaction to recent successes: Thomas: “We can’t explain it. We are very happy, very...” Host: “proud?” Thomas: “No no no, not proud, we are very happy, in fact this success makes us humble; there’s a verb in english, it’s 'humbling’ there’s not real way to say it... we are 'humblé', we’re going to start inventing words. But there’s a lot to be thankful for, especially in a time where people can listen to music without buying it. The album was streamed for free, they could have easily downloaded it for free. 15 or 20 years ago, if you wanted to hear music, you had to buy it; today it's no longer necessary. So the people who buy the record, we truly thank them. And so it’s very pleasing, especially after working almost 5 years on 74 minutes of music, and telling ourselves...this isn’t reasonable, maybe it's a bit...it’s bizarre; so this validation from the public [...]
    Host: I know you’ve been asked a lot of questions, and probably often the same questions. Is there a question about this album that you would've liked to have been asked but weren’t? Thomas: uhm...no. I think we’ve covered it all; it’s been fun.”
    Edit: bedtime; there are some parts I haven't don't yet, but I will try to add more tomorrow after work. Feel free to update and correct.

Thanks to the reddit user "KittiesAndFunnies" for that.
    Thomas Bangalter on EDM - "Maybe it's just one guy called Eric David Morris."
    http://www.facebook.com/davidboin95
    https://soundcloud.com/fundave

4. Rep:

Re: 4-5th Album Shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by Fundave View Post
    5:50-7: talks about the helmets.

But seriously, many thanks to "KittiesAndFunnies". And to you Fundave for posting it here.

5. Like Mr. Hoosteen likes this post
  6. Founder of The Daft Club
    Rep:

Re: French interview 29 Jan 2014

Thanks for the translation Dave! Can anyone confirm who this interview was for, I'd like to add it to the news section but need a few more details - thanks
    "It's Daft Punk's world. We Just live in it"

Daft Punk - My Favourite | Hire Me to make a website

7. Rep:

The vid begins mid-convo, talking about becoming friends through an interest in music and movies. [0:37] Guy-Man: "When we started Darlin’ it was in the hopes of meeting girls. But we did two shows, and it didn’t really work."
    Asked about the origins of Darlin' [0:50] Thomas: We were three, with Laurent from Pheonix, but what's funny is that we met at the beginning of the 1987 school year but only started making music 4 or 5 years later. So we’d go to concerts, to art expos [...] and we only started making music 4 or 5 years later. So our story wasn’t really centered around the idea of forming a group.
    Host: twitter #daftpunksurskyrock When asked about why they began wearing helmets [3:05] Thomas: "It’s for a variety of reasons; at the start maybe it was a bit as an “acte militant” to go against the norm, and also because we came from the world of dreams and anonymity, and it also came from the desire to be able to have a normal everyday life. And then after awhile, when we began creating these robot personalities, it was both entertainment, and also giving us a chance to keep both feet on the ground and to lead a normal life. Asked about their appearance at the Grand Prix in Monaco: [4:00] "It was good, it was good."
    4:10: Host: no regrets about not having groupies banging on your door? Thomas: no no, our lives, we can take the example of superheroes; you have Clark Kent and you have Superman, and it's great to be able to play with these characters and alter-egos, it's like a child's dream, and then to be able to leave and go home and...Host: do you have names for your superheroes? do the robots have names? Thomas [4:50] : "euuuh...haha they don't have names they have code names now, technical names actually, which are TB3...uh TB03 and GM8. Host: Is this an exclusive? Thomas: no, you can see it in the album booklet. And we let people guess which is which."
    [5:30]: Host: And your helmets, they’re amazing, they’re ventilated, you can tell that they’ve been planned down to the millimeter. Thomas: they’re not made of cardboard. It’s both the idea of combining different techniques -the helmets are made by a special effects studio in Hollywood who would be more used to working on the spiderman costume- and it’s for us above all a desire to have fun. And also we’ve always been fans of pop art and the influence that art can have on pop culture; and it can almost be an art project, like contemporary art that we can have outside of a museum. And we can do something interesting while respecting the public and the creators and technicians we work with. The attention to detail, the fans can appreciate that little extra, that we take the time to try to do it well.
    [for 8:00-11:00 see YellKyoru's comments below]
    Asked about french music they’ve listened to lately. [14:20] Guy-Man: “It’s not really my specialty; we’ve been in the bubble of this album during these past 5 years. In the end, be it in France or elsewhere, there’s always good music; but in a consistent way where there would be an artist or a group or an entire album that would be an exceptional ‘claque’, it’s true that it hasn’t really happened. Sometimes there are great singles, but I haven’t yet found something really consistent from an artist, where everything is incredible; it's very rare. And it's not my speciality to recognize it.”
    [15:08] Thomas: On a song we worked with Kanye West, there were only two tracks, no post-production, no computer effects, but which is still the same approach of let's try to break the usual traditions and rules; there are different ways of doing it, be it a piece like that, that we worked on for 45 minutes with him, or an album that took 5 years to make; it’s different ways to question music a bit and to re-concentrate on the essential which is something organic and alive. And sometimes computers have made musical creation a bit too...clinical. With computers, you can always “save as” and can come back to it 3 months later, whereas what interests us in music too is the present moment, like when listening to an album from [17:15 james(?)...] you think, he recorded it, it could have been one time, it happened, it won’t happen again. Host: Quincy Jones too. Thomas: Yes, and when we worked with Kanye it was an opposite approach than towards our album, but it was still the same desire, even if we work with (?) and synthesizers: create one unique moment, and try to capture it, and to have something real, and something human even if it’s electronic.
    [for 17:55-18:40 see YellKyoru's comments below]
    [18:40] We are interested in working with radical artists, who won’t compromise themselves. It has to speak to us, and this absence of compromise has become rare. We’ve met muscians who want to succeed, but it becomes the opposite, because they’re too open and willing to try anything to succeed. Where it’s almost the opposite, you have to obey to no one, and it’s hard to do in the industry. That’s where we were lucky, but we took control from the start. If you think of directors like Tarantino who are the only ones who are able to do what they want, it’s because they started like that from the beginning. It’s possible to keep the control, but the bad news is it’s hard to get it back once you’ve given it up.
    at 20:00, asked about reaction to recent success: Thomas: “We can’t explain it. We are very happy, very...” Host: “proud?” Thomas: “No no no, not proud, we are very happy, in fact this success makes us humble; there’s a verb in english, it’s 'humbled, humbling’ there’s not really a way to say it... we are 'humblé', we’re going to start inventing words. But there’s a lot to be thankful for, especially in a time where people can listen to music without buying it. The album was streamed for free, they could have easily downloaded it for free. 15 or 20 years ago, if you wanted to hear music, you had to buy it; today it's no longer necessary. So the people who buy the record, we truly thank them. And so it’s very pleasing, especially after working almost 5 years on 74 minutes of music, and telling ourselves...this isn’t reasonable, maybe it's a bit...it’s bizarre; so this validation from the public goes straight to our hearts. [thanks to YellKyoru for clarifying this sentence]
    Host: I know you’ve been asked a lot of questions, and probably often the same questions. Is there a question about this album that you would've liked to have been asked but weren’t? Thomas: uhm...no. I think we’ve covered it all; it’s been fun.”

There's an updated translation, has some more juice n stuff

Thanks to "KittiesAndFunnies" again!
    Thomas Bangalter on EDM - "Maybe it's just one guy called Eric David Morris."
    http://www.facebook.com/davidboin95
    https://soundcloud.com/fundave

8. Like Mr. Hoosteen likes this post
  9. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Spud in Disguise View Post
    Thanks for the translation Dave! Can anyone confirm who this interview was for, I'd like to add it to the news section but need a few more details - thanks
    It was for the french radio station Skyrock

10. Like Spud in Disguise likes this post
  11. Founder of The Daft Club
    Rep:

Thanks Ayu!
    "It's Daft Punk's world. We Just live in it"

Daft Punk - My Favourite | Hire Me to make a website

12. Rep:

[for 8:00-11:00 see YellKyoru's comments below]
    link?