Tags:
3d print
  1. Rep:

Re: New Daft Punk Thomas and Guy papercraft paperkura models!

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Still hasn't.. : (
    Here you may find a hint.. but it seams complicated electrician stuff: http://www.thedaftclub.com/forum/sho...-s-Electronics
    i'd have to study a little more to build the matrix on my own

also, it seams you didn't build the inner part of the ear, and didn't use the inner structure bars. maybe it would be a good idea to have them on the built model, so as it holds to shape as you work on hardening it.
    Last edited by brunoosti; 30th Jul 2014 at 20:04.

2. Rep:

You're right. I didn't realize you were supposed to add the inner bars as you build. I'm adding them after the fact. Will add the inner ear support too before I start with resin and bondo. Thanks for the tips.

3. Rep:

Also your model seams really well built! Nice skills there! Remember to post updates : D

4. Rep:

Quick update. Here's the pep with support bars and inner ear added:

http://imgur.com/tAvjgUM

I guess I'm ready for rondo now. I'm still trying to figure out how to make the ear pucks with the best finish. I'm not sure I'll get the right finish I want with paper, rondo and sanding. Any advice one how to get a nice finish with pepakura ear pucks?

I'm trying to see if I can 3D print the ear pucks and maybe cast them. Seems like a lot of work.

In end I plan to chrome this bucket so we'll see how that goes. I haven't seen anyone try to spray chrome (cosmichrome) a pepakura/rondo helmet yet.

5. Like NathansPROPS likes this post
  6. Rep:

I think in most cases people use that spray chrome paint. Real chroming involves a chemical processes that heats a bit.. and can damage the plastic material.
    For the ear pucks, you could use a soda can (not). But seriously, it would be better to have them made in wood (don't know the name of the machine in english, the one to make cylindrical shapes) and than make a mold out of it. Maybe you can find some pipe that fits, and make the detail by hand.. but it will be tough to get a symmetrical result.
    Last edited by brunoosti; 3rd Aug 2014 at 15:52.

7. Rep:

Best bet is to get the pucks 3D modeled and printed. Get it printed, then cast them.

None of the helmets, Daft's included, isn't actually chromed like we would normally associate it to be. It is actually vacuum-metalized like C-3PO's costume. Not many chrome shops do this though...it's very easy to ruin a resin, or fiberglass cast off the bat.

Reference for Daft's being vacuum-metalized, is that a user on Reddit who works for Daft Arts talked about the plastic helmets flexing and the chrome peeling off. That does NOT happen on metal products that are chromed, this is unique to vacuum-metalized chromed products. I know this too, because it happened to my helmet and gloves.
    Remember, only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise... and many Bothans died to bring you this post! www.facebook.com/9336industries

8. Rep:

Need some help from the more experienced members. Which one is correct?? I've seen many photos, but none of them make me sure about this particular part of the helmet (the step below the visor):

9. Rep:

I think the one of the left is closer, but I propose a mix of the two, similar to how Volpin handled this area on his helmet.

Not sure if you have seen this pic but its the only one I have that is close to that angle.

10. Like brunoosti likes this post
  11. Rep:

Well sir! Take a look at that!! This overlay shows the curved one (the one on the right). It seams that there really is a slight curve.
    RayBans always with some great resources. Thanks man!
    Last edited by brunoosti; 9th Aug 2014 at 07:15.

12. Like Agent RayBans likes this post
  13. Rep:

@brunoosti I hope you don't mind me posting more progress in your thread:

http://imgur.com/7WbMAmg

I have one coat of resin on the outside of the pep. I was originally going to slush cast the inside with rondo, but am now thinking that will add a lot of unnecessary weight (esp with all the electronics). I'm not casting this bucket. So I'm going to go the fibre glass cloth / resin route.

Now that I have one coat of resin on the outside is it safe to remove the support bars? Do I need more coats of resin on the outside? It's going to be a pain to maneuver around them to lay down cloth and resin. I'm not going to use spray adhesive to attach cloth, b/c that makes the resin less effective. How many layers of cloth do people use? I need this bucket to be strong b/c I have a subvisor, temple eqs, lipos, microcontroller and other gear inside.
    Last edited by insultcomicdog; 10th Aug 2014 at 04:52.

14. Like brunoosti likes this post
Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast