Tags:
3d print
  1. Rep:

Re: New Daft Punk Thomas and Guy papercraft paperkura models!

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Material has been ordered and sent to the thermoformer. If there are spare visors I might be able to offer maybe 1 but no promises of any kind. Only myself and Leonard ordered them. Wish us luck!

2. Like leonardw94 likes this post
  3. Rep:

Had to add a wall to increase the base size and lift the front up a bit to change the angle

filled solid with Epoxacast 655. It's epoxy resin embedded with aluminum dust. Mold will be able to tolerate extremely high temps

Mold removed and only wet sanded up to 600 grit

After wet sanding up to 2500 grit I put painters tape on to protect the finish as I had to build up the side of the molds. At this point I really wish I had done this from the beginning.

Lots of Bondo filler to slope out the mold so once the acrylic is pulled it will easily release from off the mold. this is before smoothing.

After smoothing

Getting ready to package it up to mail it to Kevin

Last minute consulting with Kevin we decided to drill holes through the buck where it is narrowest to help pull that material against the mold so it takes the full shape.

And now it's off and in the mail to Kevin. Hopefully I'll have some visor pictures next week.

4. Like leonardw94, dejordzta, brunoosti likes this post
  5. Rep:

Visors will be pulled on Monday. Might have pictures and video

6. Rep:

Well we gave it the old college try to see if the smoked acrylic would work, but sadly it is just to expensive and difficult to work with. Even the pros couldn't make it work

Kevin sent me some pictures of how it all went down. First he did a test pull w/ 3mm ABS to prove the mold works as he is most familiar with this material. Worked perfectly.

So then he tried the bronze 3mm acrylic. It would not hold its shape as it couldn't be cooled fast enough.

Then tried a sheet of 3mm smoked acrylic. With a little less time under the heat. Better but still could not be cooled fast enough to hold its shape.

Tried another 3mm smoked sheet and this time tried to cool it with an industrial fan and cool water. Still would not maintain its shape

So he tried a sheet of 062 PETG and it worked perfectly. No surprise there really. So we will be using PETG now and I will have to dye them. Not ideal but better than nothing. He said he will easily be able to make some small adjustments to prevent the webbing you can see in this picture. He pulled 4 yesterday and will be mailing them today and I should have them tomorrow.

So on my way home today I will be acquiring a large pot and idye in black and dark green and should have them done tomorrow assuming all goes as planned. Wish me luck!

7. Rep:

This shot really excites me. My mold on the same table that made the originals. The original sculptor from Alterian even saw it and commented on it

Last edited by Rabid Irish; 25th Aug 2016 at 19:48.

8. Rep:

You can be proud of it!

9. Rep:

A sleepless night and:

10. Rep:

Brunoosti, This looks amazing! Great job! I had a question about your thomas helmet electronics, have you made them? Like these electronics for your guy manuel helmet, but for thomas, I know I saw and commented on an earlier post that you did showing the electronics in the helmet but are they finished? Also on your Shapeways thomas helmet, in the photos theres one of the interior of the helmets nose vents. There are two adjustable purple L brackets, I know that your bottom sub visor has slots that correspond with the L brackets, but my question is: Are you working on or plan to make the final version of the sub visor to work with those? And will you make them available for those who wish to make the full led display? Thank you for all the work you've put into both of these helmets! To me personally your guy manuel is basically the most accurate up to date, especially because of that visor! I also love your thomas model. Thank you my friend, and build on!

11. Rep:

Thanks man!
    I have the 3d files for the led display, to help create the PCBs for the rig. Unfortunately i have no knowledge to plan the actual electronics.
    I will make available the rainbow boxes to for both helmets and guy's updated helmet with the internals to hold the leds.

12. Like Agent RayBans, TK-9336 likes this post
  13. Rep:

Latest news! Redid Thomas dome geometry and now I can scale it to any size and easily change thickness : D! Soon daft punk earrings, pendants, 1/2 scale helmets, etc.!

14. Like Agent RayBans, leonardw94 likes this post
Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4149505152 LastLast