1. Rep:

Re: Photos of the old helmets in storage!

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    I'm so glad you're back on these boards Ray.
    Remember, only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise... and many Bothans died to bring you this post! www.facebook.com/9336industries

2. Like Agent RayBans likes this post
  3. Rep:

ALRIGHT. I GIVE UP.

Ever since I saw the picture of one of Guy-Man's helmets packed up I've been confused. What exactly are we looking at here?

Obviously we have a helmet, the removable back section of the helmet, and two gauntlets. But what confuses me is I don't really understand what part of the helmet itself are we seeing here.

It almost looks to me like the visor has partially come off and is covering the top of the helmet? Here's a photo to illustrate my point:

Now imagine if the visor in this photo above had come loose, then shift up and over the top of the helmet slightly. That would explain why we can see gold and wires through this part:

Have I finally lost my mind?

Also it just occurred to me that the reason the false wires on Guy-Man's HAA helmet were white, red, and green was a nod to the wiring on his original Discovery helmet. Probably a little late to the game on that one.

4. Like o.o?, piroteki, Mr. Hoosteen likes this post
  5. Rep:

Ooh! The gauntlets! Finally better images of them!

6. Rep:

That visor almost makes me think that's the transition helmet.

So far in my own research on my personal Discovery GM is that there are a few variations of the DGM. The very first one did not have a bar in the back "DGM V1," with backpacks and gauntlets on their way to their first photoshoot in LA (the same ones we see in the "Very Disco" mag. While in the Japan Interview (arguably what everyone perceives as THE Discovery GM,) we see a thick bar on the back of the helmet, "DGM V2" with the gauntlets gone.

Then we get into the Lite version of the DGM, which eventually fades into the Transition helmets. The visor in that storage container clearly has the gold visor, a feature of the TGM lid.
    Remember, only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise... and many Bothans died to bring you this post! www.facebook.com/9336industries

7. Like Agent RayBans likes this post
  8. Rep:

I would argue that what you consider to be "DGM V2" and the "Lite version" of the costume one and the same. In my eyes, the "Lite Version" of the helmet is what you see in the Japanese Interview: Essentially the DGM V1 but without the full matrix down the middle, no (or at least optional) gauntlets, and far less cables/tubes going from the backpack to the helmet as the result of the less complex display.

I'd also argue that both the versions of the Discovery Guy-Man outfits were made with the removable back half in mind. In the "Very Disco" photo, you can see the screw hole where the back half would attach above the ear, which is also present on the V2/Lite helmet. I suspect the back half was abandoned on the V1 helmet since it looks like you'd have a hard time fitting all the wires underneath it... A design oversight perhaps? Thomas V1 frequently didn't wear the back half of his helmet either.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand... I have to admit the visor in the photo does seem gold tinted, but I really don't think that a transition helmet in there. The copious wires, the removable back half above it (The transition helmet had no removable portions, as I am sure you know it is essentially a HAA helmet), the fact its in the same box as the gauntlets, in my eyes it must be a Discovery era helmet.

I really can't think of any other explanation though other than a loose visor. Or maybe a spare visor just set ontop? I've never seen anything on Guy-Man's helmets over any period of time that looks like what we see in that photo, but all signs point to discovery helmet.

I also think photos like this show how dark and reflective the Discovery visors can under the right (or should I say wrong) conditions.

Helmet nerds for life!
    Last edited by Agent RayBans; 12th Mar 2014 at 11:25.

9. Like piroteki, TK-9336 likes this post
  10. Rep:

According to the behind the scenes video with Alterian Effects some visors were vac metalized, like this.

But based on how well you can see through it vs the reflections on the gold frame I would say this is just a bronze acrylic visor. Based on what you can see inside the helmet this has no full main array so its just the 'lite' electronics setup.

I would still love to know how Thomas programs the text on his helmet, sure he uses buttons/knobs on the gauntlets but how does he see what he is selecting?

11. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by slinkytrips View Post
    I would still love to know how Thomas programs the text on his helmet, sure he uses buttons/knobs on the gauntlets but how does he see what he is selecting?
    I read in an interview that he could hook the helmet/gauntlet/backpack gear up to a computer somehow and would program in the text that way. He could use buttons on the gauntlet to select specific sets of programming to display on the helmet. I guess when they weren't wearing the gauntlets, the helmets probably just cycled through a program continuously.

12. Like slinkytrips, Agent RayBans likes this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12