1. Rep:

Guy-Man coming together

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    I'll start this on the preface of how the Daft bug bit me.

Last year, I challenged myself to build a Thomas helmet and gloves in time for Halloween fun. I started with Pep files I found here. The scale was off, the ear pucks were wonky, I just wasn't happy. After browsing this forum, I ordered a Moguai Props Thomas helmet, and some Volpin glove plates. Lots of sanding and painting, and done. Came out pretty good for what little I knew about what the heck I was doing.

Fast forward one month, lol. As I said, I was happy with it, but wasn't happy with it. Time for a new challenge. Guy-Man was picked. I couldn't just half-step it either. I delved into the TDC archives looking for reputable prop makers, suppliers, pictures of your beautiful creations. Ebay, Etsy, etc., were browsed. The decision was made. Sorenzo RAM helmet, Volpin glove plates, AlexPlus LED Kit, Moguai fan light chassis, and Cn'C chroming. Found some tux's similar to those seen in RAM photo ops. With ComiCon in Salt Lake City coming up, the pressure was on.

While I waited for the helmet to arrive from Sorenzo (which didn't take long), I got all the parts needed for the AlexPlus LED kit and went to work on that. After some brian farting, and operator errors, I got the fan lights finished. I bagged them up to wait for the helmet so I could get to work on that. Here they are:

The helmet showed up with a note from Thom bidding his thanks and wishing me luck on the build. Thank YOU, Thom! That luck favored me as I took the saw and sander to the helmet to cut out the visor and trim the edges. That's a daunting task on such an item, but I was rewarded with success.

I still haven't received my Moguai fan light chassis to this day, and time was running out for SLCC. I had to get those lights mounted somehow. A trip to the dollar store for some foam board, and I went at it. 14 templates later and I found the best fit for the smaller RAM helmet. Below I've gotten the chassis about 70% built. Still much to be done.

It was awful "floppy" and I was afraid it wouldn't hold up after mounting and wearing it, so I mounted the foam board light chassis to some thin sheet metal. This gave me stiffness AND flexibility to mount the system into the helmet. Painted up and pinstriped, I'm satisfied with the results:

The head scratcher here was mounting the fan lights INTO the helmet. RPF and some threads here helped. T-nuts and epoxy, strips of sheet metal, and rivets. I cut some thin strips of the sheet metal I had from the chassis builds, and riveted them to the chassis. Epoxied the T-nuts to the inside of the helmet, and drilled holes in the strips on the chassis to match the mounting points in the helmet. The strips are bendable enough to work with, but stout enough to hold everything securely in place. I had to squeeze my nugget into the bucket, and almost couldn't get the darn thing off. Almost to the point of panic. Am I gonna have to call the Fire Dept. to cut this this off?? After a few deep breaths, I slid it off my head. Gonna need some adjustments. did some bending of the chassis supports, and it's on and off with relative ease. Gonna need some padding for sure, but that comes later.
    Here it is mocked up, everything held on with tape at the time this was shot.

I'm an idiot for not taking more pictures and video of the progress of this build. I get so focused on what I'm doing, it's been easy to neglect documenting anything. I'm at a stopping point with dinking with the helmet. As I write this, it's boxed up and ready for shipment to Cn'C for chroming. I'm crossing my fingers the projected 2-3 week turnaround for the process is accurate, as it's just 5 weeks to SLCC! As I wait, I'll by doing some Polydying of the visor, and refinishing Thomas for my fiance to cosplay with me. I know I'll probably catch some flack for putting an LED array in a RAM helmet, but that's the beauty of it. At this point, we don't really know if Guy has an array or not. Until we do, we can all speculate and dream, can't we?

I'll update this as the project progresses, along with Cosplay pics here and in the appropriate thread. Thanks for reading!

Feel free to ask questions, and make some suggestions, that's what this forum is about. Share and learn! Cheers!

Youtube is being wonky, so if the vids don't load, keep trying.

2. Rep:

Re: Guy-Man coming together

Looks great! What kind of glue are you using on your gloves?

3. Rep:

o.o?, I start by cutting craft foam and super glue it to the insides of each plate. Then, using 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive applied to the mounting surface of the glove, and the inside of the glove plate, apply pressure for a minute or so, and it's not going anywhere. I wore the glove when doing this, over surgical gloves. You don't want that stuff on your skin, nor do you want to stink the house up with it. It's a task to do by yourself, unless you're ambidextrous....which I'm not. LOL.

4. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by ifixphns View Post
    o.o?, I start by cutting craft foam and super glue it to the insides of each plate. Then, using 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive applied to the mounting surface of the glove, and the inside of the glove plate, apply pressure for a minute or so, and it's not going anywhere. I wore the glove when doing this, over surgical gloves. You don't want that stuff on your skin, nor do you want to stink the house up with it. It's a task to do by yourself, unless you're ambidextrous....which I'm not. LOL.
    Thanks! I think that'd work better than the other glue I tried...

5. Rep:

Sounds like someone read my glove build...lol. The surgical glove is a must.
    Remember, only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise... and many Bothans died to bring you this post! www.facebook.com/9336industries

6. Rep:

Why I love this forum, TK. You're one of the ones that inspired me!

7. Rep:

I am honored.
    Remember, only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise... and many Bothans died to bring you this post! www.facebook.com/9336industries

8. Like o.o? likes this post
  9. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by ifixphns View Post
    Why I love this forum, TK. You're one of the ones that inspired me!

Yeah because of him I knew what to do for my gloves too ahaha