1. Rep:
    Question

Visor tint with LED's

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Just a quick ask thread i guess
    So I have two helmets casts coming my way, a guy-man (for my friend, getting paid to make it for her haha) and a thomas.
    I am going for Discovery Light-version styled helmets (and with that, a slightly hybrid transition era helmet and HAA helmet)
    Now, for tinting the helmet, I have read that Limo tint is not a good idea for thomas' visor when you're putting LED's behind it.
    I never really understood why though. Is it too difficult to see out of the visor when the LED's are turned on?
    Otherwise it'll just be some screwing around with RIT dye (or Dylon as they sell here. It's also powder textile dye so I guess that won't be a problem, which will happen anyways because yeah, I also have to tint the Guy-man visor.

2. Rep:

Re: Visor tint with LED's

The main reason to avoid limo tint for LED helmets is it will tint your displays slightly purple. And that goes for both the spray and the sheets versions. But in my opinion the spray should be avoided, period, LEDs or not.

I say if you are going to end up dying the Guy-Man visor, might as well do the Thomas one the same way. You can do one right after the other, and this will also ensure they match (rather than having two different shades of black that is).

3. Rep:

The darker your tint the more of the LED will reflect off it back at your eyes.

On Volpins you can make out the detailing around the coloured panels so his can't be tinted that dark.

4. Rep:

Well, as I'm doing the light version from discovery, I guess I can tint mine a bit darker for Thomas because I'll have some extra vision left above and under LED beam. For Guy-Man the same actually. The rainbow LED's will be closed off and there will only be 2 LED lights directly in my vision (the two little green eyes).
    Thanks for the information, by the way!
    This is going to be a pretty damn big project for me (full chrome and LED builds as close to the originals as possible, but non-animated). I can't wait for my Firewire Thomas V2 and Moguai Guy-Man V2 to arrive

5. Rep:

Also, might as well ask now, is 1mm PETG a good choice for all this?

6. Rep:

should be fine, the nature of the shapes on both helmets means it will be strong. Im still trying to work out if Guy-Man's green eyes are 5mm or 7mm LEDs.

7. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by slinkytrips View Post
    should be fine, the nature of the shapes on both helmets means it will be strong. Im still trying to work out if Guy-Man's green eyes are 5mm or 7mm LEDs.
    i get the idea that they're just 5mm led's. the light version helmets are basically just stripped down versions, so i would guess that they would use the same LED's and stuff

Edit: actually, they wore their full helmets in the GAP commercial at the end and the green eyes were actually present here

So I guess we can safely say it's just 5mm.
    Perhaps they look bigger because they're a bit brighter?
    Last edited by Vektorwave; 24th Mar 2014 at 10:02.

8. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Vektorwave View Post
    Also, might as well ask now, is 1mm PETG a good choice for all this?
    For visors go for 2mm PETG. Rit powder dye will give you the best finish i think. The more powder packs the shorter time it should take to dye the visor. Black dye is made up of warm colours and has a red sheen when you shine a light through it, probably ideal for a thomas. For a GM visor however, i worry that the red sheen will affect the rainbow LED's , especially on an green lights. Fo my GM visors i used 50% Black RIT and 50% dark green RIT. Green and red are opposite colours and together they give a much more even ''black'' which is really just very dark brown, a bit like black coffee

9. Like Vektorwave likes this post
  10. Rep:

That's some really helpful info damn
    I wish I lived in the US when it comes to this sort of stuff though
    We don't have RIT dye here so I'll have to buy it on ebay (i can hear my wallet screaming already, sigh)
    I lightly changed my plans so I will try to make my Thomas visor a bit of a dark red, like the original and the transition era versions.
    How much would you suggest getting of each colour in this case?
    read somewhere that 5 packages was good, so I was thinking of like, 5 black packages, 3 dark green and 3 scarlet (so that I would have around 2.5 packages for each helmet).

11. Rep:

Where are you? I'm in the uk and i got RIT powder from amazon i think. I CANNOT recommend any other brand of dye for dying acrylic, as far as i'm aware RIT is the one and only readily available dye that works. You even need RIT POWDER, the liquid RIT no longer dyes acrylic. I'm not saying there isn't something else that would work, it's just that i have never heard of it and i've heard of a lot of things that definitely don't work.

For essentially a black/red i'll go with 60/40 dark red/Black. The black is already pretty red as it gets dark so you can probably go mina heavy with the Dark Red.

For the GM do 50/50 black/dark green. It's obviously gonna be more costly to do separate colour visors. I managed to get 5 GM visors and one TB in a single large pot no problem.

Here's a link to my post with the pics
    http://www.thedaftclub.com/forum/sho...Guy-Man/page20

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast