Tags:
vocoder daw
  1. Rep:

Does anyone know what daw/vocoder they use

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    i've been wondering for a long time how the heck they make this awesome music ?

2. Rep:

Re: Does anyone know what daw/vocoder they use

For Random Access Memories they only used old vintage hardware (vocoders) as well as a custom built synth (picture below) for the electronic sounds. They didn't use any DAW for it, except some kind of editing software I guess.

If you're interested in making a similar vocoder sound with a DAW I suggest you watch this video:

For earlier albums I think they've used Logic, and for Derezzed they even used Fruity Loops. But most of their sounds comes from old (and new) hardware so it's difficult and really expensive to try to get the exact same things. It's better to work with what you've got, you can make great music with any DAW if you just learn how to use it.

If you still want to know the exact synths and stuff they've used I think you should search a bit online. There are many forum threads and articles that answer this question.

Here's an article about the production of Discovery:
    http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_daft_punk/

And here's one about RAM:
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul1.../daft-punk.htm

3. Like M3311 likes this post
  4. Rep:
    Somewhere between a rock and a hard place

Discovery was done using Roland VP-9000 and the cult-classic Ensoniq DP4 (apparently about as loathed by professionals today as the classic house compressor, the Alesis 3630 [also used by DP]). They might have had another vocoder, but I've always heard those two mentioned.

"Fout le merde" with 113 was done using a talkbox and Arp Odyssey (which Korg is apparently getting ready to re-make themselves).

Human After All was vocoder, most likely the same ones used on Discovery.

RAM, as Ridley mentioned, utilized the custom vocoder in their Modcan modular.

However, getting RAM-style vocoders with the plugin mentioned (mda Talkbox, NOT Vocoder) is difficult since the mda sounds so digital. It should land Discovery and HAA vocoding pretty well, though.

As for DAWs, DP mentioned during RAM era that using computers as instruments isn't their style. I want to say they've use Logic in the past to record everything from Discovery up until Tron: Legacy, and even then I doubt they used computers on Discovery or HAA. Tron: Legacy had to be done on Pro Tools as it's the most efficient DAW for soundtrack work of that scale (also the "industry standard"), and RAM used Pro Tools as well since most of the studios they used probably had it installed on their systems ("industry standard", y'know).

5. Like Ridley likes this post
  6. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by STR@NG3R TH@N F1CT10N View Post
    RAM, as Ridley mentioned, utilized the custom vocoder in their Modcan modular.
    I have read somewhere that they used "vintage vocoders" which to me suggests that they might have used separate vocoder units, but used the Modcan for the synth sound fed through it, what do you think? I think they might have a very specific taste in vocoders from making earlier albums so maybe they didn't want a new one. Here's what a Modcan vocoder unit looks like: http://www.modcan.com/amodules/vocoder.html And there's no such thing on the picture of their Modcan. Of course it might have been fitted later in one of the free slots.

7. Like STR@NG3R TH@N F1CT10N likes this post
  8. Rep:
    Cool

There's an app for that...

Use it with this Apen Mic Kit so you can separate the mic from the sound output:

9. Like STR@NG3R TH@N F1CT10N likes this post
  10. Rep:
    Somewhere between a rock and a hard place

I got the app, and it's pretty cool. I might be upgrading to Pro here soon. I've just been using my regular Apple earbuds and haven't done anything significant recording-wise. I'll give you guys an update when I mess with it more.