1. Rep:

Helmet Chroming Questions

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    hello

ive been working on a helmet cast for a while now, and recently ive been thinking of my chroming options. i was wondering if any prep work should go into the cast, to make sure nothing bad happens?

is there anything i should do to my cast before i were to send it off to get chromed? id hate for the cast to morph due to poor maintenance.

my cast as of now:

2. Rep:

Re: Helmet Chroming Questions

add some support bars inside along the jaw curve and base of the ears. But if you gonna spray chrome, it shouldn't warp/bend/distort at all..
    There is a member on the forum the sent his helmet for spray chroming and it came back all squished from the sides: (. So you should consult your service provider first. But there is no chemical processes involved that would generate as much heat as necessary to warp the helmet. Maybe his distorted during some drying process, don't really know.

3. Rep:

Re: Helmet Chroming Questions

yeah you pretty much just have to get it spray chromed and ask if they use any heat (when spraying or drying it)

further you just have to get the surface as smooth as possible. every little fault will be amplified when it's chromed.
    i sanded it with 2000 grit and that gives a great finish.