Tags:
help me
  1. Rep:
    Exclamation

Grammys 2014 Thomas Helmet paint help?

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Planning on getting a Thomas helmet kit from Moguai some day (after I'm done with my GM helmet though) but anyways, how can I achieve the glossy white finish similar to the recent grammys version? Thanks

2. Rep:

Re: Grammys 2014 Thomas Helmet paint help?

More than likely just getting a nice white gloss spraypaint, spraying it wet but without it beginning to drip and perhaps buffing it afterwards. No idea if a clear coat would ruin that, most likely not.

3. Rep:

Depending on your skills with clear coating it can knock off a gloss shine. Now if you get a high end gloss white, like Rustoleum professional painters touch (what I use on my TK and my Grammy set) you can build the layers to a great shine. Then I use Maguiars polish compound and finisher to get a mirror finish which is what you're looking for. It won't be as shiny as pure gloss, but looks 10 times better.

When rattle can painting you must be conscious of orange peel. This can happen from over spray, too heavy a coat, or unseasonal conditions for the paint. In this instance I would almost advise taking to a auto shop and having them do it for you because they will use great paint and excellent gel coat and clear coat. They use spray guns as opposed to relying on gravity and tiny metal ball to circulate paint.

I painted mine with rattle cans and am going to strip it and redo it at my local prop shop using high end automotive paints.

-Kevin
    Remember, only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise... and many Bothans died to bring you this post! www.facebook.com/9336industries

4. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by TK-9336 View Post
    Depending on your skills with clear coating it can knock off a gloss shine. Now if you get a high end gloss white, like Rustoleum professional painters touch (what I use on my TK and my Grammy set) you can build the layers to a great shine. Then I use Maguiars polish compound and finisher to get a mirror finish which is what you're looking for. It won't be as shiny as pure gloss, but looks 10 times better.

When rattle can painting you must be conscious of orange peel. This can happen from over spray, too heavy a coat, or unseasonal conditions for the paint. In this instance I would almost advise taking to a auto shop and having them do it for you because they will use great paint and excellent gel coat and clear coat. They use spray guns as opposed to relying on gravity and tiny metal ball to circulate paint.

I painted mine with rattle cans and am going to strip it and redo it at my local prop shop using high end automotive paints.

-Kevin
    Like THIN layers of gloss white paint?