1. Rep:
    Question

Questions about sampling

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Hello. First, Im not so good with english, so i apologize if you find grammar errors.

French House is know for the use of sampling. So, i have some questions about it.

How you can give credits if you sampled a song? (for example, Music Sounds Better Wiht You, uses Chaka Khan's Fate, that it was released in Warner Bros. Did Mr. Bangalter called to Warner and asked for permission? Or he just added the line "Contains a sample of Fate, released on Warner"?

I'd read before that if you sampled a track, you have to pay to the song owner certain amount of money. Is this true?

Thomas Bangalter's "Ventura" contains a sample of an unidentified song. That sample is very small. If i make a House track, with a short sample (like Justice's "Genesis") that is very difficult to identify, i must give credits anyway?

That's all. Saludos!

2. Rep:
    Somewhere between a rock and a hard place

Re: Questions about sampling

Quote Originally Posted by OscarGT5RB8 View Post
    [SIZE=3]
    How you can give credits if you sampled a song? (for example, Music Sounds Better Wiht You, uses Chaka Khan's Fate, that it was released in Warner Bros. Did Mr. Bangalter called to Warner and asked for permission? Or he just added the line "Contains a sample of Fate, released on Warner"?
    You have to ask permission. Usually if the track is free and the artist is fairly unknown most publishing and record companies won't bother. However, if you sell your track for any amount of money it's good to ask so they don't hit you with a lawsuit (which they can do because you've broken the law).

The only thing I'm not 100% sure about is the credit. It might be up to the artist if they want to credit it; however, the label could also require it so people will know who the original artist is.

I'd read before that if you sampled a track, you have to pay to the song owner certain amount of money. Is this true?
    Yes. Either you pay upfront (rare) or you pay a percentage of royalties to the original artist. The percentage usually is based on the prominence or importance of the sample.

Thomas Bangalter's "Ventura" contains a sample of an unidentified song. That sample is very small. If i make a House track, with a short sample (like Justice's "Genesis") that is very difficult to identify, i must give credits anyway?
    Also depends on what the owners of the song want you to do. If you can't identify it, however, don't bother. Send your track out to some musically-inclined friends and see if they can identify it just by the original song which you sampled from and your song. If they can, try to modify the sample further.

3. Like OscarGT5RB8 likes this post
  4. Rep:

Re: Questions about sampling

Quote Originally Posted by STR@NG3R TH@N F1CT10N View Post
    You have to ask permission. Usually if the track is free and the artist is fairly unknown most publishing and record companies won't bother. However, if you sell your track for any amount of money it's good to ask so they don't hit you with a lawsuit (which they can do because you've broken the law).

The only thing I'm not 100% sure about is the credit. It might be up to the artist if they want to credit it; however, the label could also require it so people will know who the original artist is.

Yes. Either you pay upfront (rare) or you pay a percentage of royalties to the original artist. The percentage usually is based on the prominence or importance of the sample.

Also depends on what the owners of the song want you to do. If you can't identify it, however, don't bother. Send your track out to some musically-inclined friends and see if they can identify it just by the original song which you sampled from and your song. If they can, try to modify the sample further.
    Thanks. I have another questions.

Several french house tracks contains uncredited samples, like all tracks of the Louis La Roche's EP "Peach" and some Crydamoure tunes (Soul Bells, Palm Beat, etc). How will a lawsuit can affect me if a sample are uncredited?

┐How i ask for permission in a label to sample a song? Can i send a letter, call to the label?

And the last one is...

┐can you identify what song i've sampled here? xD
    https://soundcloud.com/ob-99/does-he-say-pakistan