1. Rep:

Working Out

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Do you work out? What exercises, stretches, or yoga do you do? How do you keep yourself motivated? Got any tips to share?

Me? I'm just beginning. I started this past Monday. My friend got me into it. We met up this past July 4th weekend and she started talking about it and showed me stuff I could do. I decided to give it a shot.

I use the Sworkit app. It's kicking my butt but afterwards I feel good. I started with only 5 minutes and today I got myself to try 15 minutes. My arms and shoulders can feel it!

My friend also posted something on my facebook page and it really got me thinking about what I eat. Basically it says

30% Gym 70% Diet. Your stomach shouldn't be a waste basket. Ab's are made in the kitchen not in the gym.
    My friend is keeping me motivated. As for tips? I like what my friend says. She says work out every day but rest for two days. Don't put those two days one after another. I picked the following plan for me. 3 work out days, a rest day, 2 work out days, then another rest day, repeat.

As for what exercises I do I got the following on my list in the app:

Alternating Push-Up Plank
    Lying Triceps Lifts
    Overhead Arm Clap
    Overhead Press
    Power Circles
    Push Ups
    Reverse Plank
    T Raise
    Tricep Dips
    Wall Push-ups
    Abdominal Crunch (this kicks my butt!)
    Genie Sit (so does this one!)
    Inch Worms
    Leg Lifts
    Plank
    Six Inch and Hold
    Supermans
    Hip Raise
    Roll Up
    Seated Spine Twist

I do the following Yoga poses
    Bridge Pose
    Cat Pose
    Child Pose
    Cow Pose
    Downward Dog
    Fish Pose
    Four Limb Pose
    Half Spinal Twist
    Head to Knee Right
    Plank Pose
    Raised Arm Pose
    Side Bend Left and Right
    Twist Left and Right

I do the following stretches:
    Abdominal Stretch
    Arm and shoulder stretch
    Arm circles
    Chest stretch
    Lower Back Stretch
    Neck Stretch
    Overhead Arm Pull
    Shoulder Shrugs
    Side stretch

The app randomizes some of the things above in the time limit I have set for my workout. I have no idea what I'll be doing on my next work out.

So what about you? Let's hear it!
    Ride the wave of sound.
    Why do the robots take forever to make music? Isn't it obvious? They're getting upgrades.

2. Like churro, DJ_Sam_909, legobeatle likes this post
  3. Rep:

Re: Working Out

Rest In Peace: Romanthony, singer of one more time, passed away suddenly on May 7th, at the age of 46.

4. Rep:

Yeah, I get it. Not everyone likes working out. That's ok. This thread is for those that do like it.
    Ride the wave of sound.
    Why do the robots take forever to make music? Isn't it obvious? They're getting upgrades.

5. Like churro likes this post
  6. Rep:

I like cycling.

7. Rep:

I've been meaning to get into exercising, moreso to put on muscle weight than anything since I'm practically a stick. Not really sure how to begin, or where I could even find a space to work out considering my living conditions.

8. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by SaxophoneofTime View Post
    I've been meaning to get into exercising, moreso to put on muscle weight than anything since I'm practically a stick. Not really sure how to begin, or where I could even find a space to work out considering my living conditions.
    I'm doing my exercising in my own home. You could try an affordable gym like a YMCA (as far as I know, they are in the US.) Here's the membership costs: https://www.fwymca.org/membership_rates_types.php I have a membership to one and mine has workout equipment, a pool, friendly trainers, etc. I'd suggest doing some research. Search the internet, talk to family and/or friends, you can even get advice from your doctor too. Good luck and never give up!
    Ride the wave of sound.

9. Rep:

What a coincidence, the first day in about three weeks I go to the gym and suddenly this thread pops up!

As you can probably tell, I don't really have a routine nailed down. The main goals of my exercises are to help me maintain a healthy body weight and a healthy state of mind. Joining the gym was probably one of the best decisions in my fight against depression. I strongly recommend that anyone currently battling any form of mental illness give regular exercise a try. It does wonders! The only reason I haven't really been recently though is that I made the expert decision to buy myself a ton of video games when I really need to buy myself some gym clothes, water bottles, gym bag, that kind of thing. I can't really get into a proper routine without that kind of preparation but hopefully next time I get paid I can get that sorted.

Other than going to the gym, the only exercise I really get is from taking walks. I live right by an old medieval castle and a beach so I've got some pretty scenic places to walk around locally. I usually take that time to catch up on some episodes of the Welcome to Nightvale podcast, otherwise I'll just listen to music. Am I the only one who prefers music over the sound of nature? I find music much more calming, personally; makes me feel a lot less alone.

Do you have a diet plan, stargirl? (or anyone?)

Soundcloud
    R.I.P Romanthony, we will never forget you

10. Like churro likes this post
  11. Rep:

I used to go on alot of walks when i was younger, & iv'e just started to do that again recently with one of my friends
    after work & i do feel much
    better for it. I'm quite lucky where i live as well because i live near a seaside town & the countryside so their's plenty
    of places to walk. The main problem
    for me is finding the time to try & exercise & been arsed to do it (especially in winter)when i work between 45-50 hour weeks. fortunately I work in a job where
    i'm on my feet all day, & do alot of heavy lifting, & am kept on the go all the time. My diet is the main thing i definitely need to work on because it is shocking as i eat far too much junkfood especially crisps they're my downfall.
    Last edited by melrobin; 9th Jul 2015 at 21:01.

12. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Sam_909 View Post
    What a coincidence, the first day in about three weeks I go to the gym and suddenly this thread pops up!

As you can probably tell, I don't really have a routine nailed down. The main goals of my exercises are to help me maintain a healthy body weight and a healthy state of mind. Joining the gym was probably one of the best decisions in my fight against depression. I strongly recommend that anyone currently battling any form of mental illness give regular exercise a try. It does wonders! The only reason I haven't really been recently though is that I made the expert decision to buy myself a ton of video games when I really need to buy myself some gym clothes, water bottles, gym bag, that kind of thing. I can't really get into a proper routine without that kind of preparation but hopefully next time I get paid I can get that sorted.

Other than going to the gym, the only exercise I really get is from taking walks. I live right by an old medieval castle and a beach so I've got some pretty scenic places to walk around locally. I usually take that time to catch up on some episodes of the Welcome to Nightvale podcast, otherwise I'll just listen to music. Am I the only one who prefers music over the sound of nature? I find music much more calming, personally; makes me feel a lot less alone.

Do you have a diet plan, stargirl? (or anyone?)
    I definitely prefer music over the sound of nature when working out! I don't currently have a diet plan. All I'm doing right now is I'm trying to watch what I eat. I'm going to try to cut down on process foods and plan and make myself meals. I'm still trying to figure out what foods will best work for me.
    Ride the wave of sound.

13. Rep:

I love taking walks and cycling, as I mentioned before. I usually bring music and if I don't bring music, I usually sing. I wish I lived somewhere more interesting. There's a park behind my house and there's a biking trail, but the trail actually doesn't go anywhere. It literally just stops to a dead end.

Anyway, I got new tires for my bike and a new inner tube. The tires are a nice bright red while my bike is like a navy blue. I wanted to get new tires because my old ones completely went out on me. My tire lining snapped and when we got the new things, we repaired it with duct tape. :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast