1. Rep:

Re: Daft Punk in the studio with The Weeknd

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Don't really like the song. The backing track is OK but nothing amazing. I think its a shame because I thought Gust of Wind and Computerized were really good.

2. Rep:

I like this much more than Computerized but I think it's about on par with Gust of Wind for me.

EDIT: When Pitchfork uses a picture of Daft Punk posers in their article:
    http://pitchfork.com/news/67757-the-...tarboy-listen/
    Last edited by Baconboy; 22nd Sep 2016 at 07:22.

Sig made by AndySocks from Reddit

3. Rep:

WHAT EVEN!?

That was quiet unexpected - i wasn't even sure if i believed the rumour of them working with the Weeknd... About the Track: I'm not crazy about this one. Like at all. It feels somehow generic and i'd much rather have them not releasing any music at all for years than doing a half ass feature now and then :/

But i'm cool with it - they do their thing. The Chemical brothers did something similar some time ago when they produced a track for the hunger games soundtrack which was nerve wrackingly terrible imo haha So i guess where still lucky getting a decent track here.

I'm still wondering tho: Don't these one track collabs go completly against the principle they've been following for years now? They pretty much stayed "under the Radar" for years, working on a huge release (Album/Soundtrack/Live) and had this kind of "if we do something, we'll do it big" attitude. They never used the Daft Punk Name/Brand for their side projects Pre-RAM...

4. Rep:

Awful pop crap
    We can't stop here, this is bat country

5. Rep:

Its not bad, but not anything special. More in keeping with the Weeknd's recent output than Dafts.
    The Weeknd exploded onto the scene with House of Balloons, which is one of the best RnB/HipHop albums of the 21st century thus far. The other two albums in that trilogy were trading off the same aesthetic with mixed results, but all 3 were certainly worth a listen. Since then, its been a persistent downward spiral, with each new single seemingly more and more aimed at the pop market. There have been brief sparks (FML from Kanye's recent album is thhe best thing The Weeknd has done since 2011) but more "Earned It" moments than House of Balloons successes. He still has an incredible voice but his imagination seems to have left him, and his songwriting is very trite now. That chorus has nothing behind it, its purely reliant on the warmth of Daft's production.
    The success of Gust of Wind was the combination of the wonderful production, the very apt use of strings and Pharrell's dynamic songwriting. The failure of Hypnotize U was down to Pharrell not being able to sing half the notes he writes. This one falls somewhere in the middle, you can't knock the Weeknd's voice, but his songwriting ability seems to have deserted him.

6. Like CherieD'Amoure, DJ_Sam_909, Firefly likes this post
  7. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Boob Ross View Post

I'm still wondering tho: Don't these one track collabs go completly against the principle they've been following for years now? They pretty much stayed "under the Radar" for years, working on a huge release (Album/Soundtrack/Live) and had this kind of "if we do something, we'll do it big" attitude. They never used the Daft Punk Name/Brand for their side projects Pre-RAM...
    I know right? It's quite surprising for them to do something like this out of the blue. And we can't even hear them in this song that much. I mean, like I said after the rumour broke in, this is more of a Weekend track produced by Daft Punk than a collaboration.

They always tell that they're keeping focus on one thing at a time (e.i. album/tour/remixes) so maybe they are close to finishing what they are working on right now? Like a rumoured Musique vol.2? One can only hope.

And btw hi Boob, haven't seen you here in a while : D

8. Rep:

Yeah, this is pretty much what I was afraid of. Hearing The Weeknd's recent musical trends, I had a feeling it would just be a well-produced version of that...and that's kind of what it is.

Hopefully DP's in the studio doing stuff other than this?

Soundcloud
    R.I.P Romanthony, we will never forget you

9. Rep:

I like the Weeknd's voice, the percussion is very Daft pop (comparing to Hypnotize U), but all in all yeah it's underwhelming.I hope they keep him around for their next project though when they can go balls out on their end.

10. Rep:

hmm.... me, i'm disappointed, tbh it's a rnb-track, and i ask myself, what will come next...?

11. Like melrobin likes this post
  12. Rep:

Really disappointed I hope if they're other songs that they will be better than this not impressed at all.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast