1. Default

Guy-Manuel helmet | GM01 | Probably best helmet ever

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Hi The Daft Club.

I'm a long time visitor and avid reader of the forum. My name is Mike, aka Future Guy Mike. I'm 26 years old and, as long as i can remember, i'm a Daft Punk fan. When i was 8 years old, my father had a huge club and i used to spend some afternoons there while the staff was preparing the night show. The Dj there was allways including Daft Punk in every set and i remember how i was mesmerized by the covers artwork and the music they were producing in the Homework/Discovery era.

Two years ago, and after finishing my artistic studies, almost 20 years after discovering Daft Punk, i decided to team up with my uncle to build something really special: A unit as close as possible to the real robot that the original helmets were just pretending to be. This is the result:

Special Prop Features:

- Grade A mirror surface in the chrome. Huge attention to the surfaces geometry
    - No flat surfaces. Every one of them has a slight curvature, so the chorme reflects properly
    - Complete modular system. Srew/unscrew for deatatching every part, easy replacement
    - Curved LED diffusers. Instead of flat acrylic pannels, a curved chassis follows the visor curvature
    - The right scale. Enough space for the head and electronics, without looking like a bubble-head
    - Strong and durable materials. Tested durability along the time

Special Electronics features:

- Complete full RGB lighting. 210 smd RGB
    - No cheap wire soldering. Each panel has a custom housing PCB for safe and durable solderings
    - ARM Cortex M4 Teensy 3.2 processor. Tiny and powerful processor
    - WiFi NodeMCU. Allows WiFi interaction with the unit
    - Accelerometer. Allows motion interaction with the unit
    - Internal Microphone and Line input. Allows the unit to interact with music or sound
    - USB and SD Card slot. Makes easier to add LED choreographies or update the firmware
    - MIDI support. Makes easier to add more LED choreographies without programming knowledge via MIDI
    - Custom MIDI Library. Plug and play with the common music production softwares
    - Custom chromatic library. Absolute control of the colors, saturation, brightness and timing for pure colors
    - Internal LCD Screen. 2 inch LCD displays the menu of the firmware. Scrollable with the right ear control knob
    - Internal Fans. 2 fans placed on the jaw allows a cool breathing of the user
    - Long-lasting autonomy. Powered by the 14 Amps LoveProps gauntlet, more than 5 hours of autonomy
    - User Guide and Technical Guide (being written). For debugging and easy repairing

All the features listed below make this unit more than a helmet. The right concept would be an interactive light instrument. An easy to play and fully customizable device for composing music for the eyes. Everything housed on a, one-of-a-kind, high quality replica of the iconic Guy Manuel helmet, paying special attention to the geometry and curve lines.

The unit shown in the pictures is the first unit to be ever finished. Fully tested and with firmware 1.0, wich includes fully functional features except the accelerometer (still code left to include) and the WiFi service (Beta Code), but the hardware is actually included on the unit for supporting future firmware updates.

Recently, we created a website ( www.love-props.com ) to show off our finished projects, technical information, creation processes (blog), future projects, workshop tips, schematics,...etc. There is still a lot of content and work to be done in the website (grammar corrections too, because English is not my native language), but by now, i hope it works well as a showcase of what we, me and my uncle, do with Love.

I'm actually excited to finally drop my helmet in the forum so you guys can review it. I'm a daily visitor and the tips the community shares helped me through the building process on a everyday basis, so thank you all!! And also thanks for checking me out and i will be glad to reply to any your comments.

Watch the helmet in action:

Watch the pic gallery of the GM01:

Read the whole building process, hardware/software details here:

2. Rep:

Re: Guy-Manuel helmet | GM01 | Probably best helmet ever

Well, uh... that looks ridiculously amazing.

3. Like Firefly likes this post
  4. Rep:

woah dude thats top notch!

5. Like OscarGT5RB8 likes this post
  6. Rep:

Awesome, good job there!

7. Rep:

Great mashup! It looks great. It's a combination of Discovery and HAA. The lights are from Discovery and it looks like your helmet is based off the HAA/Electroma version which never had any working leds. Discovery helmets have yet to be done perfectly by anyone but are currently a work in progress. It seems everyone prefers the HAA/Electroma helmets w/ the Discovery leds. Regardless you did a stellar job. The finish looks flawless! Keep up the good work.

8. Like TK-9336, loud pipes likes this post
  9. Rep:

I saw this pop up in my Facebook trending news on some real clickbait levels. The lead article talked about how DP finally updated their look, only to link to an article about this build.

10. Like Rabid Irish likes this post
  11. Rep:

Yea OP only has 2 posts on here and they are exactly the same just different threads lol.

I admit the craftsmanship is great, but accurate it is not, at least not to any known real Daft Punk helmets. It is a custom mashup fan piece. They are really going to town to promote their work though haha.

12. Rep:

Is it wrong I thought it was Volpin's old video and GM recirculating the web again? Because this looks like a clone of his, down to the chin equalizers being built the same way, not being separate and individual LED's like the OG Discovery. Great quality build, but not Discovery, strictly speaking.
    Remember, only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise... and many Bothans died to bring you this post! www.facebook.com/9336industries

13. Like dejordzta, Agent RayBans, Rabid Irish likes this post
  14. Rep:

And the user has copied the errors in Volpins circuit design on the ears.

15. Rep:

Thanks to everybody that joined the thread. It's nice reading some real DP fans feedback about the final piece. This is the first place i posted the final piece after more than a year of work. I thought this was the perfect forum to post a DP tribute build!

I'm glad some of you guys like the result of such a huge designing/crafting/programming labor. I feel kinda negative vibes on some of the comments, but i'm going to take them as a constructive critiques

This project wasn't intended as an exact copy or replica of any existing era helmets. It's a redesigned, feature-expanded and hardware improved Guy Manuel helmet. So, it can't be "accurate". We thought the original design could have more stylized curve lines so we gived the design a more aerodynamic geometry:

When i first posted the project here i missed the "pending of approval" warning message on the loading screen after submitting the thread. The next day the thread was not appearing on the forum, so i re-redacted and reuploaded the post. This time i noticed about the approval pending message, and when an admin approved it, both posts, the first one and the second one popped up. Wasn't an intended flooding. Sorry about it, and if any admin reads this, please, remove the other no-reply thread.

After posting the project here, i posted it on reddit and 2 hours later it was on the main page. Thats why you guys seen it on some click bait pages and media articles. Wasn't me spamming or something, was just an uncontrollable snow-ball effect.

Again, thanks for those who took their time for replying the thread, as i said, it's nice to get some real DP fans feedback about this project. It was a total pleasure building it

Apologize for my horrible english though. Cheers!
    Last edited by FutureGuyMike; 23rd Sep 2016 at 19:08.

16. Like Rabid Irish likes this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast